Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Has Anyone Tried This LSD Unit Off Ebay?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Has Anyone Tried This LSD Unit Off Ebay? by Bernie
Started on: 07-29-2004 01:08 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: jelly2m8 on 08-03-2004 10:49 PM
Bernie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BernieSend a Private Message to BernieDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=7912344013

Just curious.
For 240.00, it looks interesting since I am going to be plucking my motor out to replace it soon.

Cheers

------------------
Thanx
Bernie
'86 Fiero 2M6 SE, Man
'85 Porsche 928S AT
'82 Honda CX500 Turbo
TheDIYgang-click me!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
California Kid is using one in a Getrag.

P.S. I would not but the eBay one. I would pay the extra fe $$$ and get it from a reputable speed shop or directly from Phantom Grip. That ad just looks to shady. Why doesn't the seller have a pic of the unit he has for sale instead of a pic and info from the Phantom Grip website?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Bernie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BernieSend a Private Message to BernieDirect Link to This Post
Good point but he has a very high feedback vs. sales score so I am not that nervous about dealing with him.
I saw a show on tv once where they used a device like this in a new Austin Mini. Seemed to work well.

Originally posted by tesmith66:

California Kid is using one in a Getrag.

P.S. I would not but the eBay one. I would pay the extra fe $$$ and get it from a reputable speed shop or directly from Phantom Grip. That ad just looks to shady. Why doesn't the seller have a pic of the unit he has for sale instead of a pic and info from the Phantom Grip website?

Maetrix66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
Sorry, I've been watching that .gif file in Bernies Sig.

Riggidy-Riggedy Rump Shaker!

Damn, if I saw that in person, well, Heheheheheh!

Girl, shake what'cha momma gave you!

I just keep watching it like the 3d time clock screensaver in Windows XP, bouncing from one side fo the screen to the
other!

Make it stop!! LOL

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainDirect Link to This Post
There are lots of people playing with them the world over, or variations on them, you may want to have a look here:
http://www.madzuki.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/phantom.html

Iain

Bernie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BernieSend a Private Message to BernieDirect Link to This Post
Gawd I love that sig.....LOL
Everybody who loves my sig should drop me a + rating.

------------------
Thanx
Bernie
'86 Fiero 2M6 SE, Man
'85 Porsche 928S AT
'82 Honda CX500 Turbo
TheDIYgang-click me!

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
LSD? Oh, you mean limited slip differential! Ok, nope, never messed with one.

JazzMan

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Been running it this season ...
so far so good.

------------------

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
i have a hard time shelling out that much money for 2 peices of mild steel and 4 springs..
but if they work as well as some seem to think then its still a hell of a lot better than the cost of a quaife

gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertDirect Link to This Post
I was reading Iain's link and came across something that makes sense

There are some reports in the US racing community that diff wear can occur

Wouldnt something eventually wear down since you're pushing two blocks of metal against your spider gears?

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that's how it works. Unfortunately. The metal blocks and the spider gear contact faces gall up. Phantom Grip state in their instructions that it only becomes effective after five or so hard launches, this allows the contact faces to mate and mark each other up. How much swarf is produced then becomes a function of how hard you drive it versus the spring pressure. How much then floats about depends on how often you change your oil.
A magnetic oil drain plug insert is a must.

I'm not aware of which spring is supplied with the Fiero one, but the red (American) spring in the Suzuki unit I tested wasn't worth a damn. I had to change to Yellow (Euro) springs to get any worthwhile limiting action, that was in a front w/d Swift though.

The swarf problem was one of the reasons I wanted to experiment with bike clutch material, the paper/kevlar compound should hopefully not cause as much metallic debris. (There is a metal impregnated cork material available, but it's not quite so good for high power outputs). I have a whole host of Euro and Japanese springs to test, but I'm in the process of moving house so it's going to have to wait for a couple of months.

Iain

PFF
System Bot
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
any idiot with a machine shop and the right material can copy the pg unit, I own a real one in my w41 calais 3.91 fdr 5 speed getrag. The springs I ahve are the green ones ( racing), and then they can be shimmed with washers. I think they work better in izuzu trannys than getrag due to differences in spider gear material, I know geo metro spider gears are a good swap when installing the pg unit.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iain:

A magnetic oil drain plug insert is a must.

Not sure about the Isuzu, but the Getrag has a magnet inside it from the factory. Also, the VSS's are pretty magnetic as well. I recently disassembled a Getrag that had been through peg-leg burnouot hell. The diff gears were all loose in the carrier and one side of the housing was chewed up and lots of metal pieces (some unnervingly large) were stuck to the magnet and the VSS. The metal came from both the carrier and the thrust washed between the carrier and the side gear.

There's another alternative to the PG. It's called the Gr8 Grip. It's a basically new product made by Bud Adelman at Bud's Outback in AZ ( www.gr8grip.com ). Instead of two pieces of metal like the PG, it has four pressed apart in all four directions, pushing against the spider gears as well as the side gears. It provides about 40% more bias torque than the PG.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2004 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Feedback on my PG unit is as follows:

Has been installed for 1 year (about 5,000 miles), has lost some of it's effectiveness, and hard launches/heavy acel/ or decel result in mild torque steer from back end. My conclusion is that while this system works, it is a maintainence item, much like a crank bearing, but wears a little quicker. Trans fluild changes must be due at very early intervals (compared to long times recommended).

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-03-2004).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Update on the PG unit in my trans, trans oil (GM's good stuff) was changed and examined for metal dust/tiny fragments, nothing found out of the ordinary. Torque streer condition was directly related to blown rear Koni struts. Further recommendation is that if you go with this setup, get the heavier spring set and use all the spacer washers.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I installed a Phantom Grip in CTFiero87's ZZ4/Getrag swap. I put the upgrade kit in with the green springs and all the shims that I could possibly get in there. He says that it is working great.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock