Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  glowing manifolds, don't think it's a vacuum leak.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

glowing manifolds, don't think it's a vacuum leak. by dfoxslim
Started on: 07-19-2004 11:47 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: GTDude on 07-21-2004 06:12 AM
dfoxslim

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dfoxslimSend a Private Message to dfoxslimDirect Link to This Post
yeah they're glowin cherry red. i don't think it's a vacuum leak. could it be caused by anything else? is there a way to tell if it is or frome where? i just replaced the EGR tube last year so i think thats ruled out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Please keep in mind that when they are glowing cherry red like that----they can cause a fire by igniting your plug wires which will ignite your under plenum vacuum line.
ask me how I know this.
Do not ignore them--------mine was a broken egr tube.
check vacuum leaks/timing
dfoxslim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dfoxslimSend a Private Message to dfoxslimDirect Link to This Post
how would i easily go about checking the timing?
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Glowing can indicate a back pressure problem. When did you replace your Cat. last?

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 07-20-2004).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I believe if they glow on idle there are problems but if they glow only on reving then it's normal due to how thin the exhaust manifolds are.

Stuff like plug wires and vaccume lines should not ever hit manifolds period if they were cast iron and thicker then plug wires and vaccume lines are more forgiving.

That's what I have heard from several fiero ppl

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 07-20-2004).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
There are a few causes
1.Bad cat
2.Idleing too fast.could be timeing related or something else.
3.Blown head gasket (check for water in the oil).
4.Cooling problems such as low oil or coolant,bad fan or fan relay.Pressure leak in the coolant system.Air buble in the cooling system.
5.Stuck thirmistat.
6.Bad plugs or wires,but you would definately feel that.
If I missed anything feel free to add more...
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
the one time i messed with glowing manifold was from low fuel pressure so it was running lean. just not enough to throw a check engine light for the o2 sensor.
87V6GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87V6GTClick Here to visit 87V6GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87V6GTDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your timing is too far retarded.Just loosen the distribiter hold down screw and turn the distribiter back( ccw) untill the engine just starts to miss and then move it back(cw) JUST a little ( 3or4 deg,it shuld be just fine.They will do that whenever you change a distribiter.It allways worked for me.

[This message has been edited by 87V6GT (edited 07-20-2004).]

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
Deffinatly check your plugs. Mine did that and it was partially due to the fact that the last guy who worked on the car put the wrong size plugs in.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
It still sounds like a vac leak to me. What does it idle at? If it's higher than about 800 to 900 then it can definitely cause the manifolds to get red. Get it fixed fast. I had one burn up because of a vacuum leak causing glowing red manifolds. Good luck.

Phil

------------------
86 GT TTops, 3.4 Auto.....bought from Doug of Fiero Warehouse

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. I will never be able to return as an auto tech again. I get EXTREME satisfaction helping others and will go to Extreme levels to help you if you need help. I have LOTS of free time on my hands. This forum and the help I give, allow me to have a purposeful life. Bring on the problems......LOL.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock