door glass replacement by norsell
Started on: 07-19-2004 09:41 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Tina on 07-19-2004 10:42 PM
norsell

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for norsellSend a Private Message to norsellDirect Link to This Post
OH how excited I was to see the UPS man come with my 85se Drivers side Window today.. Its been broke and the car has been covered for 6 months waiting for the $ and opportunity to purchase it.. The excitement wore off quick once i got the door panel off.. WHAT THE **** were thet thinkin? The window i got was used but they managed to get it to me with all the stuff attched including the little track attached to the glass all riveted in.. how am i supposed to get all that into the door? Is there some kind off magic trick? and once its in the door how do i get the rollers into the track? Should i drill the rivets and replace with nuts and bolts? reassemble in the door? it lloks as though the window may fit in from the bottom after removing the outer doorskin but i dont want to remove it because of the ddor handle and lock, its the only door that is still working in that respect. Anyone here done this successfully?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
I've done this a few times. You can easily drill out the rivets and pop out the round spacers. I generally use ss nuts and bolts with a little locktite instead of rivets when reassembling.

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
I've also done it a few times, with mixed results. Definitely the easiest way to go is to drill out the four rivets, and just pull the old glass out the top. I used 1/4" by 1" bolts with matching nuts and loctite to attach the new glass into place. The only snag I ran into was when I was drilling out the last rivet on my drivers side... the glass just shattered on me. Still don't know why it happened... I'd just taken out three other windows the exact same way, and they all went fine.

In any case, just be careful and you should be fine. Good luck!

Brad

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Take a punch and drive out the steel pin in the center of the rivet first. then drill it.
Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Tackled that one before.
Yes, removing both inner and outer door panels is highly recommended.
Makes drilling the riviets out of the white little round plastic thingies al lot easiers.
(Those btw just snap together)

Finding the right size rivets might be a bit of a challenge, but any glass place should be
able to help you out there.

One thing to remember ... when you look at the top of the door you will need to locate the two srews holding
two small brackets with fabric on one end.
This is how you adjust the window, when you are done with installing the glass.
Keep in mind though you want to do your adjustments with the window half up and be really careful when
shuting the door for the first time.

Or, if you really don't have acsess to tools like a rivet gun, drill and such.
Perhaps it would be more cost effective to dismantle the interior of the door (to keep the cost down)
and then along with your new glass, bring it to on of those glass places and have it installed by them.
Let them tackle the doorskin.

Just keep in mind nobody wants to put something back together they didn't take apart.
Especially the guys that do these things for a living.
Real easy to add quite a bit to a labor bill too, if you decide you want to tackle the the complete dismantle
yourself, but wan't somebody else to put it back together.

Good luck
Tina

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock