Started on: 07-05-2004 08:05 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Kento on 07-08-2004 11:56 AM
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
My question is about swapping the valve covers on the 4.9 to gain the oil fill access towards the rear of the car.
It appears that the valve cover which does not have the oil fill cap has a lot of little screws tapped into it. How have you overcome this problem--if I switch valve covers--will I have to drill and tap the other one? Or would this be dangerous and a good way to create an oil leak or feed debris into the valves??

Thank you

Jeff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Anybody-----Anybody---Anybody?
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
we can swap the pfi stuff like the map sensor and ect over to the firewall area That will be the only way to do it with being able to fill the oil easier. Plus it will look nice with that setup. Or I can drill and tap tiny tiny holes for the pfi stuff....... I already have that planed.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 07-06-2004).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
The only thing that rally mounts to the valve cover when you swap then is the MAP sensor, which can also be move with the cover, or you can simply relocated it someplace else. There is no need the drill and tap the other cover.

Tim

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

The only thing that rally mounts to the valve cover when you swap then is the MAP sensor, which can also be move with the cover, or you can simply relocated it someplace else. There is no need the drill and tap the other cover.

Tim

No, there is also the Cruise control servo and the Fuel lines as well mount on it. Oh you silly PFI people

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
We had nothing mounted on the valve covers. Mounted the map senaor on the Alternator bracket and everthing else on the intake manifold. Made for a lot cleaner install. all the vacume lines were real short.

Joe Sokol
85 SE 5 Speed 2.8 V6
88 Formula/GT 5 Speed 4.9 Caddy (under rebuild)

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Well, let's clarify that this is a fuel injected 4.9 with cruise control.
Black-Azz-GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
I'll show you mine when it's done.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
fuel lines are routed different than the stock location (oil cap is in the way if you try)...
MAP can be relocated...
used the stock Fiero cruise setup (or install the Caddy one in the Fiero location)...

Basically, don't worry about the screw holes and

...remember you still have to close the decklid

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-08-2004).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Was looking at it this morning and looks like it will not be a problem, will look into mounting the Cruise on the stock location as well.. I am guessing the 2 lines for the fuel rails the smaller is the return line and the bigger one is the supply.

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock