Opinions. Turbo 2.8 Versus Turbo 3.4 by Smoof
Started on: 07-05-2004 05:32 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 07-09-2004 02:35 PM
Smoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
Okay, this isn't "Whats faster", but just a simple question.
I still don't have a Fiero (Working on money, so I can fix my stupid Bronco and sell it), but I'm curious.Whats a good option?
I probably wont be doing an engine swap right off once I get the car, as I don't really have the know-how and I want something I can be driving.
Anyway, when/if it ever does come to an engine swap, I want a 3.4, and I want to put one of Dennis' turbo's on it. But my question is, would it be a wise idea to slap a turbo on a 2.8 right off the bat when I get it? Depending on how many miles the engine has, etc, etc. Say I get one with about 50k-60k miles on it. Good idea or no?
Also, on Dennis' page it says 5.9 0-60 on a Turbo 2.8 versus 5.2 on a Turbo 3.4. What kind of track times am I looking at with either of them? Really all I want is 200Hp, but 250 would be awesome, which I'm assuming I could do with a Turbo and a couple of performance mods (On the 2.8, say porting the exhaust manifolds).
Also my other question is, say I have my Turbo 2.8 and ka-boom, it grenades somehow. Could I take my turbo off the 2.8 and put it on a new 3.4 to the same effect, or would I need an all new kit? Or would it be a good idea to rebuild the 2.8, but with some extra performance?

Just curious, cause when I get the Fiero, I'm gonna want power and I'm gonna want it NOW. Thus why a Turbo 2.8 seems like a good idea right now. Anyone running a Turbo 2.8?
Also, I assume it would be a simple procedure of, taking out the engine and slapping the turbo on and then putting the engine back in...
heh. Simple...

Oh other quick question. Tranny, would I need a new one, or would the stock tranny (Manual or Auto, haven't decided yet) be able to handel the power without exploding?

[This message has been edited by Smoof (edited 07-05-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
Oh also, would I need larger fuel injecters?
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Usually with a turbo setup, you're better off starting with a fresh rebuild. Remember, the NEWEST of these cars is about fifteen years old. If you're lucky enough to find a low mileage car, keep in mind that, unless the owner just drove it a few miles on weekends all that time, some of that low mileage is because it sat somewhere for awhile. Think dried/stiffened seals, dry rotted suspension bushings, old fuel in the injectors, etc. What you propose is doable; I just think it's going to be a lot more trouble than you expect.

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
i have a 2.8 turbo. the kit i have is the miller woods from the late 80s. have ported manifolds and run about 8psi on rebuild engine. had it dynoed at 185hp and 224tq best 1/4mile 14.9xx with slightly larger and heavyer than stock wheels.

hans

Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, bump
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
I also meant to say that turbo/nitrous/blown setups all put more stress on the bottom end of the engine, as well as higher combustion pressures/temps in the combustion chamber. If the rings, valves, or bearings are marginal to begin with when the turbo or nitrous or blower is installed, for whatever reason, that engine will, eight times out of ten, see an early demise. If there are any weak areas in the engine, they'll show up quick. Nothing more embarrassing than a car with a hot setup seen on the back of a wrecker before the end of the first night's cruise. (Ask me how I know, lol...)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 07-05-2004).]

Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
So what if I find one with about 40-60k on the engine? Considering most buy a 3.4 at this mileage, wouldn't it for the most part be the same? Or is the 3.4 a little more bulletproof? What kind of engine life am I looking at if I put a Turbo on a 2.8 at 60k?
G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
Over 200 HP forged pistons will be needed. Boost over 8 lbs and you may want to lower compression.
Smaller stroke engines are great under boost. I drove a 94 RX7 1.8L rotary engine w/ turbos and it kicked ass.
Get a TO4E or hybrid T3/T4 turbo. Smaller A/R will spool quicker. I think our fieros should be dialed in to climax around 3200-3500 rpm
WCF and other venders here sell electronics to manage fuel / timing etc.
IMHO buy new turbos ONLY.
Good Luck-
OUT>

Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
I was planning on going with Dennis' turbo system. I was trying to find info on what he did to his 2.8 when he turboed it for his little test, but I couldn't find any. I was curious to see what he was doing. I'm looking for something a little less expensive than putting forged pistons in.
But just out of curiousity, what would it cost to rebuild the engine to spec to handle the Turbo? Say I want to push 250Hp, what would it cost to get something like that done. I'm not very experienced mechanically, and I'd rather not experiment on my daily driver, heh. But what am I looking at for the forged pistons, ported manifolds, maybe a higher lift cam? Say I buy all the stuff and take it to a shop and tell em to put it in. What am I looking at? Like $1000? Then another $2500 for the Turbo kit (Could do this myself I'm sure)? So maybe $4000 all together?
Just curious?
But my main concern is being able to just stick the turbo on and get some instant horsepower without doing anything...
Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post

Smoof

163 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Bizzity-Bizump...
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2004 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by G-Nasty:

Over 200 HP forged pistons will be needed.

This isn't true. You can use Hypereutectic pistons. in fact stock pistons can handle more then 200 hp. If you are going to rebuild, you can go with hyper pistons pending on how much boost you plan to run.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
The above is stated in Corky Bell's book on Turbocharging. I do agree that you do not need forged pistons for over 200hp applications. Doesn't the Grand National use cast?

The real culprit to boosting is detonation. Detonation will destroy any piston forged or not.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: davidfiero@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey Smoof, just keep your eyes open for somebody upgrading to an Archie kit or something similar.

Lots of guys have turbo'd the 2.8 or 3.4 or 3.1, and given some time you should be able to pickup an engine already modded. Doing up a turbo is not child's play for hobbyists. But I know guys who've done it.

6 lbs of boost should be safe on a respectable engine, but like the man says, put boost on an unknown engine, and flaws will show up quick.

Arn

Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
Well, though it might not be childs play, I'm sure I could do it. I'm very good with my hands and working on things. It's just that I have to figure it out, it's not hard, it's just that I don't know right off the bat.
But, heres a question. I'm just curious though, heres another little speculation.
Say I've got $4000 to spend. Lets say I find myself a Fiero with a decent body, but a blown engine for maybe $500 leaving me with $3500. Okay, so maybe I also find a 3.4 with maybe 50k on it for like, lets say $300 (Some of these prices might not be realistic, but like I said, all speculation. All hypothesis). This leaves me with $3200.
NOW, with that $3200, subtract lets say $2700 for Dennis' turbo kit for the 3.4. Leaving me with $500. With that $500 would it be possible to take my Plenum, Intake and Exhaust Manifolds and get them all ported. Then add some new fuel injectors, and put the engine back together. Would I be able to do this on a budget of $4000? Just curious.
But like I said, it may not be childs play, but I can do it.

Anyway, heh heh. I'm still in my speculation stage, trying to figure out what I'm going to do, etc, etc...

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
If you're going to turbo the motor, porting and polishing the heads are unnecessary, unless you plan on doing a lot more to this motor down the road. Where I'd put my money, if I were you, would be in a water injection system (it'll let you run the boost a bit higher without detonation) having the heads O-ringed, a good ignition system, and of course, making sure you have a good, solid motor to begin with. A good high-volume oil pump and cooler is a good idea as well. Notice I said "high volume," not high pressure.
I used to own a Gremlin with a 360 ci AMC V-8, which would yank the front end off the ground in the first two gears BEFORE I installed the turbo. You see, Grasshopper, I've been down this road before.

------------------

Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking of porting for that extra airflow. So what is a good motor to start with? What should my milage cut-off be, if I go with a 2.8? 60k? 50k?

Keep in mind, I drive about 10k miles a year. Sometimes less...

[This message has been edited by Smoof (edited 07-08-2004).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Depends on how the engine has been cared for. Generally speaking, you probably should try to find one w/40K or less; having said that, though, sometimes a little research pays off. An engine that has been regularly serviced and run with nothing but quality synthetic lubricants might be better at 90K than an engine w/30K that has seen nothing but a heavy right foot and a gas pump every other day. If you find what you think might be a good candidate, and there's no rush to buy that particular motor, see if the owner will let you have about a shot glass full of the oil from that engine. The money you spend having that oil sent off to be analyzed, will be worth millions in peace of mind.

------------------

Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard about oil analyzation.
Where would I find a place to do that?
Oh, and also, I was hoping to find one to buy off a member here. So I know it's in fairly decent shape and has been treated well.
Thanks for the tips
Smoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoofSend a Private Message to SmoofDirect Link to This Post

Smoof

163 posts
Member since Jun 2003
RotrexFiero, I've been reading your site a bit.
I'm about a quarter of the way down on your turbo project page. I'm curious though, did you have to remove the engine to get your turbo on? From what I've read so far, it looks like you didn't. By the way, I LOVE your site, it gave me a nice boost of confidence knowing that you started from pretty much the same place I'm starting/started from!
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Smoof, thanks for the compliment. I have since moved and though the turbo project is just about done, living in a new house has given me new priorities.

The turbo project is actually very simple, the most difficult the making of the turbo manifold. And, of course hunting down all the little parts. Thank God for the internet.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: davidfiero@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock