Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  An absolutely HUGE step forward in Vinyl Cleaning! CHECK THIS!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

An absolutely HUGE step forward in Vinyl Cleaning! CHECK THIS! by Krhyme
Started on: 06-27-2004 03:50 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: doublec4 on 06-29-2004 09:58 PM
Krhyme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeDirect Link to This Post
Official disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form affiliated at all with Mr. Clean or any of its parent or subsidiary companies. I find no particular penchant for bald men in tight t-shirts anywhere in my concious mind, nor do I hold stock in any of the companies affiliated with the aformentioned product. This is purely love of Fiero.

Gentlemen,

I too was once like you... spending hours with a toothbrush (or nylon detailing brush if I was rich that week) scouring over my Fiero's beloved and luxurious vinyl interior wishing there were some sort of brush with the opposite corresponding pattern as my vinyl to clean in all the nooks and cranny's of that gorgeous, lustrous, and ultimately dingy vinyl. In a sense, now there is....

A few weeks ago I began seeing a commercial for a product. It looked alot like a glorified sponge, but on the commercials they used it to clean the handle to a refridgerator and it appeared to do a really remarkable job. Somewhere in the depths of my aspiring car junkie mind a connection was formed between the pattern and texture of that 1 of a kind refridgerator door handle and the vinyl in my Fiero. It was called "The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" and claimed to work simply with water.

I picked up a 2 pack tonight, and went to work on the door panels of my Fiero and I CANNOT STRESS HOW GOOD OF A JOB THEY DO! They are made of a really odd almost foam material that realllllllyyyyy does a number on Vinyl. I had already cleaned the doors once with a vinyl cleaner and rag and a toothbrush and alot of scrubbing and had almost resigned myself to having nasty, stained doors for life (or untill I can afford that Firebird door upgrade ). They took the vinyl back to what I imagine it must have looked like new... after some nominal scrubbing (really... not much effort at all) and a quick wipedown with armor all, my door panels look almost new. I was floored.

I HIGHLY reccomend you guys at least give this a chance... I'm not sure if you'll all have the same success I did, but I can't see any reason why not. It even removed the ultra old black stripe stain on the outside edge of my door panels where years of meeting the weatherstripping at high speed had apparently marked it for life. (That, DID take a little more scrubbing though...).

Only thing I'll mention on the negative side is; if you've seen the commercial they say "Use it till its gone" and show a neat little time lapse of it shrinking into nothingness. Thing is, they do go fast. I used up 1 whole magic eraser per door. However, at 2.99 for a 2 pack, we're not talking a huge investment here.

Just thought I'd share... perhaps I was overly dramatic, but its late, I've been inhaling laquer paint fumes from paintning my speaker grills (I have no idea if Laquer is an accepted paint for that task, but it was all I had around and the faded pastel blue just was NOT cutting it any longer).

Best of luck!

--Ryan

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ED's85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ED's85GTSend a Private Message to ED's85GTDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, for your very interesting product review. I will try it.

Ed

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I can't wait to give it a try. I hope it works even half as good as you describe because that will be better than the present condition of a few spots on cars. Thanks,

------------------

Krhyme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeDirect Link to This Post
wow... LoL... late nights in the garage make me wierd.... I just re-read all that LoL....

but no problem guys, and yea, it works like a charm!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Bought some today and tried it. Magic Eraser works too good. I can't find the door handle/ armrest.
FieroMac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMacClick Here to visit FieroMac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroMacDirect Link to This Post
umm, you used lacquer to paint your speaker grilles? let us know that works out.

------------------

'85 GT
'85 SE
Call me "Mac"

luvsdonuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvsdonutsSend a Private Message to luvsdonutsDirect Link to This Post
Krhyme you need to seriously think about opening a window or a garage door when using cleaning products I think some of the free salesman fumes might have gotten to you.......sorry I could not resist. Thanks for taking the time though for the product review I'm gonna try it on the corners of the dash, you know right where you always get those dirt scruff marks from brushing the corner when you climb in and out. P.S. I called Mr. Clean comaplny and let them know that you deserve a residual check :-) thanks bud.
Krhyme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeDirect Link to This Post
LoL...

k... the laquer thing.... a bust... completely.. this is what 5am car work does to you.... its chalking off... like not even considering sticking LoL....

maryjane : Told ya so I will NEVER clean my interior any other way... this stuff is perfect!

luvsdonuts: SWEET! maybe I can get my exhaust fixed! LoL

amikin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amikinSend a Private Message to amikinDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the tip, i have one of them nasty black stains on the corner of my door from the weather strip, but not for much longer

and a plus for you

The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree they are awesome and those little sponges are now permanently in the car detail bag. I love em! I recently bought a 96 olds delta 88 with a tan interior that was more like black and after a four pack of the things my car was like new. I actually called the company and asked that they make a mop head out of that stuff to clean my ugly rental property textured linoleum in my kitchen! They said they would consider it and sent me some coupons...I'm still waiting for my mop but they do work great on the cars but make sure you have a towel handy since you are using water with them, but they really don't have any odor at all so that is a nice little help.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Those sponge things work GREAT! I bought them to clean up a few walls in the apt, and I alos found that they cleaned up my interior quite nicely. That and Greased lightning really do work great!

-FR

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ill have to try one on my almost white (lightttttttttt tan) Ferrari seats. There always dirty, no matter how much i clean them.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Used them to clean the doors and dash today. All I can say is awesome! I thought I had already cleaned them the day before, but that sponge turned black while using it. Now they look new, thanks for the tip.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
www.mrclean.ca you can get a free sample of "magic eraser"

------------------
Calgary - August 1, 2004 Fiero Fiesta
1984 Indy Fiero 3.4/3100 Hybrid NA and...
*ALL THROTTLE AND NO BOTTLE*
http://www.gmpcm.com/ Killer ECM/ PCM tuning software and information

paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Bought a 4 pack of them today to clean the stains off my door panels. My car has been sitting in a car port through a Florida winter and 90*+ weather with 90%+ humidity these last few months. Needless to say, the door panels developed some ugly dark mildew stains that nothing previously would faze.

These things made my door panels look like new again and even removed all the ground in grease on the inside door handles from getting in and out of car while working on it.

I did one side today and I'll post a before/after pic tomorrow when I do the other side.

A big + for you for bringing these to the arsenal.

Before

After

------------------

AIM-jaxpac257

[This message has been edited by paulcal (edited 06-29-2004).]

Matthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MatthianSend a Private Message to MatthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Those sponge things work GREAT! I bought them to clean up a few walls in the apt, and I alos found that they cleaned up my interior quite nicely. That and Greased lightning really do work great!

-FR

Now what exactly would you need to clean in that pristne interior of yours?

i'll be sure to try these out when i clean the interior in my 88 GT

Krhyme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeDirect Link to This Post

Glad to have been of service to this wonderfull Fiero community which has given me so much in my short time... ::tears up::

LoL

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
What a coincidence!

My wife just ran across this stuff, in the past few days.
She wiped down the white cabinet doors in our kitchen. It was a spectacular change, and we didn't even notice that they needed cleaning.
She said that one of her friends saw it at the local salvage store for like $1 a box.
Looks like I'll have to try it.

Thanks for the heads-up!

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Hedhunta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HedhuntaSend a Private Message to HedhuntaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

www.mrclean.ca you can get a free sample of "magic eraser"

where?? i cant find it..

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hedhunta:

where?? i cant find it..

Grocery store. I picked up a 4 pack. Ill be trying it tomorrow to see how it turns out. Now can we use it on the plastic trim parts too?

------------------

paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

Grocery store. I picked up a 4 pack. Ill be trying it tomorrow to see how it turns out. Now can we use it on the plastic trim parts too?

YES

PFF
System Bot
Krhyme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeDirect Link to This Post
I have used it everywhere...

my interior looks perfect now.... I would think 4 or 5 of em roughly is what i used total..... my car was nasty tho.... if they only made something this good for seats... man..... my car would look stock about now inside

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
I found these a while back. They were one of my secret weapons in my cleaning arsonal, now everybody knows.

------------------

Signature courtesy of MinnGreen.

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Yep now you have competition for your interior

I just got dont with my interior. Talk about a BIG difference. My interior looks about like a show quality interior now.

------------------

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
rvalmore

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post
I have used these myself and cant believe how well the work.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I wonder if they would be good for paint prepping an interior?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock