Started on: 06-26-2004 12:35 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: theogre on 06-26-2004 03:55 PM
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT's wipers started to swipe every now and then. Primarily when I turned (using the turn signals). I was starting to think that the switch in the column was bad because it seemed to swipe if I used turn stalk. I decided to pull the circuit board from the motor to take a look, because I know that is commonly the problem. This is what I found:

I soldered the circuit, put it back in the car, and presto... no more phantom wipers. The only question that I have is why did it ghost wipe primarily when I used the turn stalk? My theory: The circuit that was burnt goes to the ground pin on the connector. Perhaps when activating the turn signal, the missing ground somehow was picked up on the wiper board and caused a swipe. I can not verify it, all I know is it works great now.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 06-26-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dslice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DsliceSend a Private Message to DsliceDirect Link to This Post
You may have just achieve god status! I'm going to look at mine too right now since I have the same problem. I think your theory is right about the ground. I know it's not the wiper stalk because after switching wiper control board it fixed the problem, for a while. Wine got so bad that the wiper fluid wouldn't even work. Plus for you!!!

------------------
Rick D

86GT
84COUP

http://www.fierodriver.zymdragon.com

"Got Butter!?"

Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
Well, that seems like a solution, but from what I can tell, it's not complete. The reason it was fried in the first place is because your wiper switch shorted out. If it does it often, like mine did, then the circuit board will fry again. I put a piece of heavy gauge wire on mine, and in a matter of minutes it had a nuclear meltdown. The only real solution is to put a new wiper switch in the column, and then repair the board. That's what I did and it seems to be a permanent fix...

------------------

My Cardomain page
www.FFDET.com
Please rate me if I've been helpful...

[This message has been edited by Freshj (edited 06-26-2004).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Freshj:

Well, that seems like a solution, but from what I can tell, it's not complete. The reason it was fried in the first place is because your wiper switch shorted out. If it does it often, like mine did, then the circuit board will fry again. I put a piece of heavy gauge wire on mine, and in a matter of minutes it had a nuclear meltdown. The only real solution is to put a new wiper switch in the column, and then repair the board. That's what I did and it seems to be a permanent fix...

I will keep an eye on it. I did not use any wire to repair my board, so I do not anticipate a "meltdown". I was able to use 600 grain paper to clean the ends of the burnt area then laid a very small piece of solder between the broken points. If it fries again, then you are correct in that something is causing it to fry. I will dig deeper if it does it again. So far, it is all good, so for now, I am pleased.

BTW, using a heavier gauge wire to repair a circuit board is not a good idea...

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Freshj:

Yup, the switch is the cause, the melted circuit board is the result.

Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:
BTW, using a heavier gauge wire to repair a circuit board is not a good idea...

Well, it was either that (the only wire I have laying around) or driving in the rain w/o wipers. Not that it mattered anyways, it melted a mile down the road.... . At least I didn't solder a bullet in there or something

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
When you are working on the board.... You may want to pull the whole motor apart and check its lubrication etc.... A motor that is binding or stuff like wiper arms jammed in ice can also burn the boards. Wiper motors have a pretty hefty draw even under normal conditions and it doesn't take much to push them over what the board can easily handle.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock