Need Engine Ground Information by SC Coupe
Started on: 06-21-2004 10:19 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: headhunter on 06-22-2004 01:17 AM
SC Coupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
I need information on the location of the engine grounds on my 86 GT. AllData says there should be 2 grounds that attach to the "Engine Front, Center", one that attaches near the dipstick, and another that attaches to the driver's side trunk lid hinge. AllData identifies these as grounds G501, G503, G504, and G505 ALL of these seem to be missing from my engine. Can anyone tell me where these grounds attach, and where they go?

Thanks,
Larry

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 06-21-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
My 86 Fiero has 2 ground straps. One goes from the engine firewall side head/air conditioner compressor bracket to the decklid hinge.
The second one goes from a trans/engine bolt to the frame rail just below the intake duct.
You should also have a small wire from the negative battery terminal to the frame and the thick negative cable bolted to the firewall side head.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

CYNFIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CYNFIEROSend a Private Message to CYNFIERODirect Link to This Post
Strange ?!!?!?! '86, V6, 104K - all original. 2 ground wires. 1 battery terminal to cyl head next to oil dip stick, 2nd one from intake manifold, right next to fan switch assy, to hood hinge. There was a third one which I removed, it went from left side of cyl head to exhaust cross over pipe, didn't really see the need in the redundance.
SC Coupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I messed up. One of those grounds was described as attaching "Below Oil Filler Cap"....I guessed it was attached to an exhaust manifold bolt. Has anyone got one of these? If so, where does it lead?

Thanks Again!
Larry

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Just a so everyone knows, Mine is an auto trans that the cradle was never removed (Until I did my swap) where on manual trans cars, The ground straps could have been moved the first time a clutch was changed then put where they felt like hooking them back up.
I didn't have any ground straps on the trunk side of the engine on mine. (I have one now due to the powder-coated alternator bracket)
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
The 4 main ground ties and positive leads.

#1. (-)Braided block to body ground, deck lid hinge. The main braided strap is critical.
#2. (-)Trans to body. The trans to body is a backup.
#3. (-)Battery to body. Battery (-)post to tray.
#4. (-)Battery to engine block. The big batt cable (-)post to bolt on engine hoist hook.

Positive leads (+)

#5. (+)Battery to starter
#6. (+)Battery to main terminal below C500.
#7. (+)Alternator feed to main terminal below C500.

NOTE. The Ogre has mentioned that if #7 is bad, you will get large voltage drops under load just like a bad ground. We all know what bad grounds do to a Fiero's electrical systems!

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light" and "a good nights sleep"

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 06-22-2004).]

headhunter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Is there no grounds from any of the lights and none from the fuse box?

Ivan.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock