Noise when clutch is disengaged by TuningForks250F
Started on: 06-09-2004 08:58 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fierofool on 06-11-2004 09:57 PM
TuningForks250F

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuningForks250FSend a Private Message to TuningForks250FDirect Link to This Post
There is a clunk clunk clunk noise when I'm sitting still at idle with it in neutral. When I push the clutch in, it goes away. It's not LOUD, but it is very noticable. Can anyone please help me out as to what it might be?

BTW - It's a Formula

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Just hope it isn't the one of the bolts from your clutch's pressure plate backing out. You might be able to check the bolts if you take the access plate off the tranny. You also need to unbolt the starter motor, to take this plate off, as the starter motor goes thru it. Most people leave them off so you might luck out.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Does it make the noise in all gears, or just nuetral? Sounds like an input shaft bearing. Probably the outer one.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

TuningForks250F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuningForks250FSend a Private Message to TuningForks250FDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it only does it when I'm sitting still at idle with it in neutral and the clutch disengaged. Thanks for the input so far guys, I'll check it out - Anymore input is welcome!
Danno88GT5Spd

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Danno88GT5SpdSend a Private Message to Danno88GT5SpdDirect Link to This Post
T.O. bearing
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Throw out bearings shot.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the input shaft bearing. The throwout bearing is not really in use when the clutch is not pushed in, it would make LOTS of noise when the clutch was pushed if it was bad.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Probably isn't the throwout bearing. When the clutch pedal is released the clutch disk is captured between the flywheel and pressure plate and sets the input shaft spinning. Sounds like it's in the input shaft area, or possibly the springs in the clutch plate may be broken or wearing out. These springs take up the shock between the clutch plate hub and the friction surface and allows for a smoother engagement. Sometimes they will even give a squeeling sound when engaging the clutch. The clutch will usually begin to chatter when these springs get bad.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock