Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!! Need pics of the 350 SB Bellhousing!!!!!!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!! Need pics of the 350 SB Bellhousing!!!!!!!! by fieroturbo
Started on: 05-21-2004 01:33 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fieroturbo on 05-25-2004 10:09 AM
fieroturbo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
HI!!!

Those of you who have been keeping up on the Turbo Ecotec Fiero project, know that the big issue is with the transmission because custom axles, tranny mounts, and shift brakets.

Don't even start on the clutch actuator, cause I still haven't thought of that.....

Or have I?

I came up with an idea. The new Pontiac Solstice has an Ecotec, like mine, except because it's a forward mounted engine with rear drive, it needs a RWD tranny. The tranny it possesses is straight from the late-model Covettes! Yep, the Ecotec will run on the same 6-speed that the almighty 350 Small Block attaches to.

With that said, if the bellhousing on the Ecotec is the same as the 350 Chevy's bellhousing, then all I need is the V8archie adaptor plate, and I can keep the same tranny that's already in the Fiero, better yet, move up to a Getrag!

So, can someone supply photo's of either the 350 Chevy's bellhousing, or better yet, the photo of the tranny? I have an Ecotec tranny, but my Ecotec is in pieces, an isn't good to compare photos with right now.

THANKS!!!!!!!!

------------------
PETTY OFFICER (no more airman!) Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (R.I.P.my beloved J-body. KIA by a Ford)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3, it's finally here, and it is gorgeous!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
soloyosh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soloyoshSend a Private Message to soloyoshDirect Link to This Post
Its it the same as the LT1 and earlier V8s or the later V8s (LS1). The bellhousing patterns are completely different, and to my knowledge Archie only sells the adapter for the LT1 and earlier.

Brett

WS63100FIEROGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WS63100FIEROGTClick Here to visit WS63100FIEROGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to WS63100FIEROGTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a small block bellhousing bolt pattern pic.

Any good industrieal machiene shop can make something as simple as an adaptor plate.
(note: I wouldnt trust the numbers in the pic. just an idea of the layout.)
------------------

[This message has been edited by WS63100FIEROGT (edited 05-21-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
fieroturbo, all the ECOTECs I know of have the FWD bellhousing. Yes, you can get a RWD tranny to bolt to the FWD bellhousing if you use a different bellhousing on the tranny. How do you think the 3800 in the F-body mates to the manual transmission in that car?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WS63100FIEROGT:
Any good industrieal machiene shop can make something as simple as an adaptor plate.

Um, yeah, we're kinda lacking a good one of those here in Maine.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003

Originally posted by soloyosh:

Its it the same as the LT1 and earlier V8s or the later V8s (LS1). The bellhousing patterns are completely different, and to my knowledge Archie only sells the adapter for the LT1 and earlier.

Brett

I thought archie sold adaptor plates for the LS1's and LS6's too? I mean, how else would the Corvette motors work in Fiero's?

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

I thought archie sold adaptor plates for the LS1's and LS6's too? I mean, how else would the Corvette motors work in Fiero's?

The LS1's and 6's are not really the same small-block as the LT1 and 4. Namely, they use a very different, very specialized dry sump oiling setup, and the pan has been causing problems with swaps into other cars. That, and different ignition system (one coil per cylinder), etc...

------------------

My Web page

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
FYI, the last I heard the production Solstice will NOT use the F-body 6-speed. (or Vette 6-speed)
It's an Aikin (sp?) transmission. I believe that's from Saab?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, Aisin tranny, sad to say, it's the tranny from the Chevy Colorado manual model, and that has a 5 cyliner motor on it.

I think that's what they had to do to cut the price under $20,000 for the car. I really do hope though that they make the 6-speed 240HP supercharged Ecotec Solstice at some point. That would be sweeeeeet!

Reguardless, the Solstice can fit a 350 Small block in its engine bay, so heads up archie, you've got another Pontiac project ahead of you.

Now, if this aisin tranny is from a Saab, then I'm in luck. The Ecotec is used in Saabs as well, so I may very well be able to use the archie adaptor here.

And BTW, that picture above helps me in no way at all. I need a photo of some sort. Thanks anyway though.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Ok, after some tedious research on j-body.org and yahoo, the verdict is that the Ecotec (automatic) racing teams use the 4T65-E tranny that is matted to the same 3.8SC motor cars (you know, the donor cars for 3.8 supercharged fieros?). How they do it, is with an adaptor plate.

Same deal with matting a 350 chevy to that same tranny (like the concept car for the new FWD LS1 SS Impala, that isn't going to be made). So that means that the starter motor positions are the same, which is sorta why I strayed away from adaptor plates for this conversion in the first place.

But that still doesn't answer my question of whether the 350 and Ecotec bellhousings are the same (and apparently the late model 2.4L Quad 4's).

From looking at Bryson's pictures of his Quad 4 project, the bolt holes look very similar, except the lower front hole, which is way off by at least 4 inches.

ARGHH, ANYONE HAVE PICTURES OF ANYTHING AT ALLLLLL????? Getrags, 350's, stock isuzu's, anything.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Can't help ya with the bellhousing picture, but... If the racing teams use the adapter plate to use the 4t65E to the ecotec, why not use their same adapter plate and just bolt a 5spd getrag to it? Then you don't have to worry about clutch hookups..
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2004 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
So wait, the 3.8 Supercharged motors can attach to the Fiero tranny with no plate?

Ahhh, now the light turned on in the ol' noggin'

Navy life........STREEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Thanks!

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Self Inflicted BUMP

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock