Started on: 05-13-2004 02:50 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Synthesis on 05-13-2004 05:51 PM
destroy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
I saw there's a difference between the 86 and 87 water pump. I already have it installed in my 86 motor with the 86 water pump. However the car is 87.

There's a plug in the old water filler neck and waterpump on the 87. There are hoses comeing out of the water pump and water filler neck on the 86.

Can anyone explain how the hoses are installed? I am confused.

thank yoU!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The 87 changed the coolant tubes.

On the 86, your heater hoses are hooked up this way.

One goes to the Filler neck.

The other sits inside a channel in the frame under the battery tray and runs up and around to the front of the trunkwall inside the engine compartment. From there, it runs to the connection on the waterpump.

The 87 does NOT have that back hose. The hose runs to the passenger side coolant tube and feeds in on an inlet there.

The 86 has the connection on the waterpump, the 87 does not.

If you have an 86 engine in an 87, you have a couple of options...

#1. Buy an 87 Waterpump and replace the 86 one.

#2. Cap off the port on the waterpump itself (The tube unscrews, but I am not sure what size threads or plug you would need) with either a plug, or a rubber cap designed for cooling systems and high pressure.

#3. Cap off the coolant line on the passenger side where the Heater hose connects, and run an extension up and around.

To be honest, your best bet is #1. Difficult to change a pump in the car, but would cause the least amount of headaches, and would eliminate the need to worry about any potential "Redneck Engineering" problems that might occur.

I recently installed an 87 motor into my 86 SE and installed a new waterpump for an 86 onto the 87 motor. Had to have it so my heater worked.

destroy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
I have the 87 water pump still, you think its a good idea just to change it out? I didnt notice they were different
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
If the car is a 87, the heaterlines are already hooked up under the car. Just pull the pipe fitting from the back of the water pump ( unscrews) and get a pipe plug to put in there.

Sorry, can't remember the size off hand, just take the pipe fitting to your hardware store etc and match it up.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Jelly, question.

On my 87 engine, my Coolant fill tube/Thermostat housing had the heater hose up above. It was connected to the factory line in an 87GT..

Is there a coolant feed on the other side as well for the heater? Or does it come up and connect there?

destroy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
let me get some pix...

86 water pump in the car (towards trunk)

86 water pump in the car (near firewall)

87 pump front

87 pump back

87 plug

Thanks for the help by the way guys

[This message has been edited by destroy (edited 05-13-2004).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I know that is what it looked like.

Thanx for the pics though. Will help clarify.

The plug can be moved over, to the 86. Make sure you seal it with Teflon Tape.

The plug on the filler neck can be moved as well. Make sure IT is sealed.

My 87 engine does not have a plug up on top, but DID have a plug on the waterpump (Actually, NO opening there at all)...

So that explains MY confusion...
Go ahead and move everything over, just make sure you get it sealed.

You can either reinstall your 87 Waterpump, or just the plug.
Your call.

destroy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
but what about that outlet near the firewall? the 87 doesnt have that one?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The outlet near the firewall? The one at the back on the trunk wall?

That was on 86. That is the one that connects to the port on the water pump. The one down at the BOTTOM on the front of the motor is where the large coolant tube connects. There is a radiator hose that goes there.

That tube that you see there is where it connects. That is part of the Timing Cover and NOT part of the pump itself. That is why it does not look right to you.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 05-13-2004).]

destroy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The outlet near the firewall? The one at the back on the trunk wall?

That was on 86. That is the one that connects to the port on the water pump. The one down at the BOTTOM on the front of the motor is where the large coolant tube connects. There is a radiator hose that goes there.

That tube that you see there is where it connects. That is part of the Timing Cover and NOT part of the pump itself. That is why it does not look right to you.

DOAH! I just noticed that...

Okay i get it now... phew saves me alot of time. Thanks man, + for ya ( give me a few days, I havent quite gotten 30 days yet)

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
lol.. No problem. It happens to the best of us...

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 05-13-2004).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock