Fiero - Jackshaft for 282 by Tigger II
Started on: 05-13-2004 02:35 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Tigger II on 05-25-2004 09:58 PM
Tigger II

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
I am very happy with the jackshaft I installed in my Fiero 2 years ago so I thought I would offer the information to the forum.

There were many benefits I found by going this way:
- Zero torque steer from the equal lenght axles.
- The jackshaft does not move up and down or rotate so it was easier to work with when designing a custom exhaust system in a confined space.
- Bolts directly to any 2.8 / 3.1 / 3.4 / 3.4 DOHC / 3100 and 3400 V6's.
- Can be added to any Muncie-Getrag 282 transmission (93/94's require 3 drilled and tapped holes)

This is my first entry to the Pennock's Fiero Forum so hope it works. Rock On!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice,
Ive been thinking about doing this myself for my V8 car. What year car did the shaft come from in your case? Are they all the same length. Did you just use a fiero drivers side axle?

welcome to the forum. Tell us more about yourself and car.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
That is a very good idea. It definitely would help. Welcome to the forum.

------------------

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I have wanted to do that on my V8 so I could use 2 off the shelf axle assemblies and move the engine over to the left for water pump clearance.

Very nice.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 05-13-2004).]

brian89gp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brian89gpClick Here to visit brian89gp's HomePageSend a Private Message to brian89gpDirect Link to This Post
All 282's in w-body's got a shaft like that.
HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
Tigger II,
Welcome to the Forum!
Two questions: Is your trans in the stock location?
What axles are you using?
Thanks!
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your interest.

I put a 3400 OHV engine and 5 speed Muncie-Getrag 282 Transmission into a high mileage 88 GT I found on the coast in a towing yard. I bought the car for $1,200 and intended to use it as a parts car for my 88 Formula but you know how that goes.

My wife and I drove the car across the northern states last year to the 20th Anniversary in Michigan. We won a second place prize and trophy for work in progress (Lost first by one point because of poor exterior). We had a great time.

Yes, the jackshaft comes out the 88 thru 90 Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I would guess that one out of every ten cars built had a manual transmission (Especially the Pontiac Side) so they are available. The ones that come out of early Berettas and other similar platforms look the same but are about 2 inches to short.

The engine and tranny are in there stock positions.

I will get back to you with more pictures and specs on the axles.

moto838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moto838Send a Private Message to moto838Direct Link to This Post
Funny how that goes with the parts cars. Iv'e ot an 87gt that I brought back from the dead to use as a daily driver when I had to start comuting to work last year, with gas prices what they are it's proving to be a very good decision.
I like the jackshaft idea. Welcome to the forum, beware this place is highly ADDICTIVE!!! Joe
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
The inboard CV-Joint for the stock Fiero axles are a tripod design. This design would not clear the stock front engine mount bracket. I found that axles from 93/94 Sunbirds and Cavilers worked well. They use what appears to be a double-offset modified Rzeppa inboard CV-Joint instead. It is more compact but offers the same travel. They haven't given me a problem in the two year span they have been in the car. Thanks for your interest.
HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
So you ended up using 2 driver's side axles from the Cavalier? Manual trans version?
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
I planned to design something similar for my V8 conversion, buddy you just got a "+" for saving me a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of trouble. Welcome to the forum hope to hear more of what you did to your car since I too am working on the final details of a 3.4 like you have.
PFF
System Bot
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HarryG:

So you ended up using 2 driver's side axles from the Cavalier? Manual trans version?

No, the LH and RH axles are different. The driver's side has an external inboard spline and the passenger side has an internal inboard spline that slides over the jackshaft. Yes, 93/94 Sunbird and Cavalier with V6/manual transmission.

Here is a picture of a 94 Sunbird jackshaft up against a 89 Grand Prix Jackshaft. Note the difference in length.

Hope this is helpful.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
OK, so the drivers side stays stock, cause it is not changeing, but which axle do you use for the the pass side. Im missing something in the thread, too many diff answers. Please list the parts needed again.... sorry im just slow

rob

------------------

88 TTop coupe (CJB #95), 96 3.4DOHC/5 speed in progress

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

soloyosh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soloyoshSend a Private Message to soloyoshDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a part number for the jackshaft?

Brett

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
Excuse my ignorance. What is a jackshaft?
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
In the picture showing all the axles (Fiero & a.... new ones), The top one is Fiero D/S, next one down is......a new one, 3rd from top is Fiero
P/S, bottom is ...... a new one with the shaft removed from the housing showing it's length compared to the Fiero P/S axle.
Now to divine which is which
1) Jack-shaft from '88-'90 Pont. GP or Olds. CS
2) Drivers side axle from 93/94 Sunbird or Caviler
3) Passengers side axle from 93/94 Sunbird or Caviler

Is this correct Tigger II ?

Norm

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2004 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by derangedsheep:

Excuse my ignorance. What is a jackshaft?

Another name for the jackshaft is "intermediate axle". It was used in some GM FWD manual trans applications (I think to reduce torque-steer). Look at the pic showing 4 axles: the lower one has the intermediate axle on the right side with the outer housing removed. One end of the housing bolts to the trans and the other end has a bearing in it and is supported by a bracket which bolts to the engine. So you effectively end up with nearly equal-length axles.

Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2004 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Yes to qwikgta - the driver's side can stay stock
soloyosh - sorry, no part numbers
Yes to gt88norm
Yes to HarryG
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2004 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK, the Berettas and W-bodies used the same jack shaft. I went through this exercise with my Northstar swap, but ended up unable to implement it due to my exhaust routing interfering with where the CV joint would be. I even had a modified V6 engine mount bracket made to test the setup on a V6.

I used a Beretta shaft and tried the Beretta axle, but it was 2" too short. Small coincidence, as a Fiero has a 2" wider track than a Beretta. I'll have to go back to my notes and confirm, but I *think* that the passenger side axle shaft from a Pontiac 6000 (or Chevy Celebrity, Olds Ciera, Buick Century) with 4 speed auto is the right length to use on the passenger side of a Fiero.

However, your setup is to use the jackshaft with the passenger side axle from a 93-94 Cavalier? Will it handle a powerful engine? What exactly is an Rzeppa joint?

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Rzeppa's the dude that created this style of Constant Velocity joint.

Double offset Rzeppa inboard CV-Joint.

Tripod inboard CV-Joint

I do not know which design is stronger. Maybe other members have more input to offer.

[This message has been edited by Tigger II (edited 05-19-2004).]

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tigger II:

Rzeppa's the dude that created this style of Constant Velocity joint.

Double offset Rzeppa inboard CV-Joint.

I do not know which design is stronger. Maybe other members have more input to offer.

Havin taken apart the axel in my GT once to replace a torn boot, I can tell you the Fiero uses the Rzeppa style axel. hope this helps.
Hey Tigger ll, can you show a better close up of how that thing is mounted?

[This message has been edited by OH10fiero (edited 05-19-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Ok, Rzeppa is the proper name for that joint....

Fieros use those at the outer ends of the axles and tripots at the inner ends.

I didn't think Rzeppa joints had any plunge built into them... I guess they could, though

What do you mean by "double offset"?

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Huskiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2004 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HuskieroSend a Private Message to HuskieroDirect Link to This Post
Being new to the Fiero scene as well to this site, let me first say "what an incredible site this is". I more than likely should be seeking out a FA (Fiero Annonymous) meeting as I've purchased 4 of these critters in the last 5 months. Ahhhhhhhhh, but what a fun addiction.

I'd like to ask Will if he has found (in his notes) what passenger side axle shaft would work with the Berreta half shaft. I ask because I've found a number of Berreta half-shafts in the local "U-Pull-It", but not any 88-90 Pont. Gran Prix or Olds Cutlass Supreme half-shafts. I think that I am understanding this thread correctly, but just in case I am not.......could someone give me the length of these two different half-shafts (Gran Prix & Olds Cutlass vs Berreta)? I would like to do this half-shaft project on one of my 87 GT's.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work......it's a kick to read all the posts.

Huskiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2004 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HuskieroSend a Private Message to HuskieroDirect Link to This Post

Huskiero

31 posts
Member since May 2004
Please excuse the typos in my previous post. I meant to type "jackshaft" not "half-shaft". Thinking one thing and typed another.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
As long as it has the cast aluminum housing like the shaft on the right in this photo, then it ought to work with Tigger's axle selection as well.
Don't worry about using the axle I looked at unless you are also going to change to the 5x115 bolt circle in the rear.

------------------

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
is it safe to assume that these jackshafts will not work on a 5 speed isuzu?
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
I used a Beretta shaft and tried the Beretta axle, but it was 2" too short. Small coincidence, as a Fiero has a 2" wider track than a Beretta. I'll have to go back to my notes and confirm, but I *think* that the passenger side axle shaft from a Pontiac 6000 (or Chevy Celebrity, Olds Ciera, Buick Century) with 4 speed auto is the right length to use on the passenger side of a Fiero.

Will

Interesting idea. You do not end up with equal length axles but the combination would be a lot more common and possibly cheaper to acquire. Good luck.

The working passenger side 94 Sunbird axle and 89 Grand Pix Jackshaft combination I like are at the bottom of the attached photo. There is also a 6" ruler in the upper right of the photograph for scale purposes.

Can any members offer a photo of a Berretta Jackshaft or or one of the suggested axles beside a ruler to compare?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock