Restoring an 84 by natnov
Started on: 05-11-2004 05:46 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: KurtAKX on 05-13-2004 03:33 AM
natnov

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for natnovSend a Private Message to natnovDirect Link to This Post
I am fixing up an 84 auto fiero and it appears to have a blown head gasket. I was wondering if a head off another year 4 cyl will work. I have another 84 with a good head on it but I also have an 88 spare motor and I was wondering if the head would work, I figured the intake and exhaust manifolds would have to be used from the 88 but???
Thanks
Nate
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if you find any more info on restoring an 84 in general, I'm working on that right now. (84 SE Auto)
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
As I understand it, the newer heads will not work, try to use the same year heads. I think the difference is the location of some of the water jacket holes.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Let me know if you find any more info on restoring an 84 in general, I'm working on that right now. (84 SE Auto)

Restored one 84SE Auto already. Also own a an 84 with 4spd I intend to bring back to as close to new look as possible. What do you need or need to know? I have a few spare parts laying around. feel free to pm or email me too.
Don

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I'm parting out an '84 now. E-mail me if you need something.
natnov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for natnovSend a Private Message to natnovDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offers of parts but I really don't need any more parts. I have an 84 model parts car. The head on my parts car is good, I just wanted to know if the 88 head was better or would work. I have a lower mileage 88 head but if it won't work I will use the one from my other 84. Thanks
Nate
FieroAddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAddictSend a Private Message to FieroAddictDirect Link to This Post
No, as far as I know it will not work. I went to the junkyard and pulled one to use in my car, but as was said, some of the water jacket holes did not match. Also, I heard there is some difference in the size of valve stems between different years.
natnov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for natnovSend a Private Message to natnovDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will use my other 84 head.
Nate
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Your 88 head will not work, the intake ports are also significantly different and will not line up with your 84 intake. If you go to the 88 intake to solve that problem, then your throttle body does not bolt up. If you go ahead and try to use the 88 throttle body along with the intake and head, then your TPS connector and *I think* your IAC connector does not go in. Not to mention, the PCV differences (you would have to utilize the 88 valve cover along with the 88 air cleaner housing) There really isn't all that much to be gained by going to the 88 style setup anyway, from what I can tell, all the crossflow swirl port Iron Duke heads are pretty unimpressive in terms of performance.

Hope that helps
Kurt

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock