Upgrade motor??? by coltabsh
Started on: 05-01-2004 11:27 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: fierslow on 05-10-2004 08:32 PM
coltabsh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2004 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltabshSend a Private Message to coltabshDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 2.8 awhile back.

The motor is shot. When you press the gas smoke barrels out and wont stop until you let up on the gas. (my own personal smoke screen )

I have been thinking of changing out my old worn out smoking motor. I am on a very tight budget. what should I do??

(1)Should I go and get it bored out and rebuild the trashed motor ( I know some one that could do it cheap)

(2) Or get a 3.4 ???

(3) What cars did the 3.4 come in?

(4) Is there one that has the starter already on the right side??

(5) Will the 2.8 auto tranny handle the 3.4??

(6) Does it use the same computer??

(7) Will the existing exhaust bolt on with no mods??

(8) What company sells any mod parts for the 3.4

(9) Does the 3.4 come in a turbo???

Thanks for any help

------------------
1986 2m4 Sport coupe 5speed with dvd system(gold)
1986 2m6 SE auto (silver) new mods in the works

[This message has been edited by coltabsh (edited 05-02-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/search.cgi?action=intro&default=2

Not to harp on you, but I really hate it when people say "do a search" instead of actually trying to help some one. It doesn't hurt to have questions asked over and over. When a question is posted, everyone who reads the thread may learn something from it. I am not personally going to do a 3.4 swap, and do not plan upon searching for this topic. But if some one would have answered the questions, I may have actually learned something on this project. It would have made me that much more informed. So if coltabsh does a search and no one else answers to this thread, I won't learn anything about this swap. It's kind of selfish in a way. So instead of just saying "Do a search" answer what you know, and maybe suggest a search for the rest. Again, I'm not getting on your's or anyone elses case. Just trying to help everyone else out.

Anyways, to add my knowledge to this thread:

(1)Should I go and get it bored out and rebuild the trashed motor ( I know some one that could do it cheap)
It's going to cost more than picking up a good 3.4.
(2) Or get a 3.4 ???
that would be my choice if in your shoes
Camaro's and Firebirds. I believe 93-95 (might be off by a year or two)
No. Rodney Dickman sells a fixture to drill it for the proper side
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the trans isn't dying already
can't answer that one for sure, but I think it would seeings how you use your stock injection
again, not sure, but I think it does
Try Crane cams, MSD for ignition, or www.mantapart.com
Not from the factory

Hope I could help.

Kris

------------------

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shop_rat45:

Not to harp on you, but I really hate it when people say "do a search" instead of actually trying to help some one. It doesn't hurt to have questions asked over and over. When a question is posted, everyone who reads the thread may learn something from it. I am not personally going to do a 3.4 swap, and do not plan upon searching for this topic. But if some one would have answered the questions, I may have actually learned something on this project. It would have made me that much more informed. So if coltabsh does a search and no one else answers to this thread, I won't learn anything about this swap. It's kind of selfish in a way. So instead of just saying "Do a search" answer what you know, and maybe suggest a search for the rest. Again, I'm not getting on your's or anyone elses case. Just trying to help everyone else out.

Thanks for the advice n00bie!!
Have YOU tried the search button, instead of RELYING on everyone else to9 do the searching for you..??
No Flame intended... Just a question.

Besides is he talking 3.4L PUSHROD \or/ 3.4L DOHC engine..

[This message has been edited by NotAFieroAnyLonger (edited 05-02-2004).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

Anyways, to add my knowledge to this thread:

It's going to cost more than picking up a good 3.4.
(2) Or get a 3.4 ???
that would be my choice if in your shoes
Camaro's and Firebirds. I believe 93-95 (might be off by a year or two)
No. Rodney Dickman sells a fixture to drill it for the proper side
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the trans isn't dying already
can't answer that one for sure, but I think it would seeings how you use your stock injection
again, not sure, but I think it does
Try Crane cams, MSD for ignition, or www.mantapart.com
Not from the factory

Hope I could help.

Kris

WOW! I couldn't have said it better, so I won't even try......lol. The 3.4 is by far the easiest and smartest and most cost efficient method to get a lil boost in HP and torque. I've had several Fieros with the 3.4 in them and they actually FEEL more powerful than they are. If you had lots of money and wanted lots more HP, I'd definitely recommend the 3800 SC.........but you don't and I don't either or I'd have one in my car too....lol. Good luck and if you need any help.......PLEASE......feel free to ask me or anyone else. Most of us are more than happy to help. Good luck!

Phil

------------------
86 GT TTops, 3.4 Auto.....bought from Doug of Fiero Warehouse

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. I will never be able to return as an auto tech again. I get EXTREME satisfaction helping others and will go to Extreme levels to help you if you need help. I have LOTS of free time on my hands. This forum and the help I give, allow me to have a purposeful life. Bring on the problems......LOL.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

WOW! I couldn't have said it better, so I won't even try......lol.

Phil

Hush Phil!
Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2004 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
[Copyrighted material removed by moderator]

Savagery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SavageryClick Here to visit Savagery's HomePageSend a Private Message to SavageryDirect Link to This Post
Mother of god, what a writeup
shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Savagery:

Mother of god, what a writeup

None of this would have been posted if he just did a search

Originnaly posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger
Thanks for the advice n00bie!!
Have YOU tried the search button, instead of RELYING on everyone else to9 do the searching for you..??
No Flame intended... Just a question.

Besides is he talking 3.4L PUSHROD \or/ 3.4L DOHC engine..

I have used it MANY times only to be disappointed by the results. I may be a noob, but I've been driving our beloved car for 9 years. So nah nah nah nah nah nah j/k

Kris

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

I have used it MANY times only to be disappointed by the results. I may be a noob, but I've been driving our beloved car for 9 years. So nah nah nah nah nah nah j/k

Kris

Sure did'nt have much to add for 9 year's...
All I was saying, is try to do it YOURSELF....
Don't make a big deal outta this... You better just drop it, because I am NOT a noobie here...

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Sure did'nt have much to add for 9 year's...
All I was saying, is try to do it YOURSELF....
Don't make a big deal outta this... You better just drop it, because I am NOT a noobie here...

I never meant to flame you personally or any one individual at all. I was making a general statement. I'm sorry you took it as a direct punch towards you. Anyways, you've only been here a few months yourself. When did you lose your noob status?

Well, in the words of 84Bill "flames only burn idiots". I'm kinda getting warm. This will be my last post to this thread. If you decide to continue the flame, go ahead. I'm not going to hijack this thread anymore.

Kris

PFF
System Bot
Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
People people people!!! Chill out There is a ton of valuable info on the forum< and much of can only be found through searching> im looking at a 3.4 swap myself, and was able to find a wealth of info thru search - even though the search function could be improved. So I don't think there's any thing wrong with mentioning that someone should do a search. Still, if someone like Solo2 has good info they can cutnpaste in, or a link to a thread, then all the better! Aren't we all Fiero maniacs in the end? *happy smiles!*

------------------

Black '87 GT Auto - Daily Driver & Autocrosser
Eibach springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K1s, Kumho Ecsta V700s, poly bushings, rear swaybar, MSD ignition, shift-kit, custom intake scoop

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2004 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

I never meant to flame you personally or any one individual at all. I was making a general statement. I'm sorry you took it as a direct punch towards you. Anyways, you've only been here a few months yourself. When did you lose your noob status?

Kris...
Accept my apology...
As far as my Noob status... It was lost sometime here in early 2000..
Sorry, This is a new name... Was SmooooothGT for years!
I was'nt trying to start anything, I was just suggesting the button...
Last post from me here!

I apologise to "coltabsh" also..

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built W I D E B O D Y ~ GT!! One of One!!
3.4DOHC/5speed swap coming soon..(gathering part's now!)

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2004 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coltabsh:

I have been thinking of changing out my old worn out smoking motor. I am on a very tight budget. what should I do??

Right there is your answer. You said you're on a tight budget, and you know someone who can rebuild it cheap. Just have it rebuilt. When you get some extra money, you can turbo it and have more power than a stock 3.4.
That's what I would do on a tight budget. The 3.4 TDC swap looks fairly easy but will cost much more than a cheap 2.8 rebuild.

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
UHHH.... I think some of the TranSports (dust buster vans) had 3.4 pushrod motors w/ starter on correct side.
Could never find one in the boneyards around here though. I think they had factory roller cams too.

try this http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

fierslow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierslowSend a Private Message to fierslowDirect Link to This Post
I think the 3400 is a later generation of the 3.4, has like 180hp or so instead of 160, and different torque too, but I'm not 100% sure.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock