Started on: 04-11-2004 09:22 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: fierosound on 06-26-2004 10:14 AM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Hi:

I'm having problems with my tranny. I was driving on the highway and went to pass another car. When I down-shifted, the tranny went into neutral ok but when I went to put it into 4th there was some resistance and then a slight pop. The car now seems to be stuck in neutral. The select and shift arms appear to be working but it won't engage in any gear. Any suggestions? Anything I should look at? Help?

Thanks
Sour

Oops, sticky fingers.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-11-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Bump...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Will it go into any gear with the engine off?
Put it into gear and then try to start it. Does the car jerk from the starter?
It could be the clutch isn't disengaging. Also, have a friend look to see if the shift levers at the transmission are moving when you move the shift lever. Put it into 1st, then see if you can move the lever at the transmission any farther into gear. Do this for each gear.

It could be shift cables not actuating the transmission properly.
It could be the clutch not fully disengaging.

Also, make sure you checked the obvious stuff like the tranny fluid level and the clutch fluid level. Have a friend check to see if the slave cylinder is actuating when you push in the clutch.

------------------

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
The shift levers are moving and the stick seems to go into the various gear locations. I will check on the items you posted.

Thanks!
Sour

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Check your slave cylinder to see what kind of pushrod travel you're getting. Have a helper push the pedal while you observe the travel. You need about 1 1/8", IIRC. Also check the clutch release arm (what the slave pushrod actually pushes on). Could be that's broken.

Formula88's suggestion of putting the car in gear then trying to start it is a good one also. That will tell you if the clutch isn't disengaging fully.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
I have finally had a chance to pull the engine and transmission out of the car. What can I say, I've been busy finishing my garage and my wife's studio.

Today I started by pulling off the starter and the flywheel cover plate. Out comes a bunch of black fibrous material. I get the engine and transmission separated and it would appear that the clutch has completely self destructed! The clutch was completely free moving there was no contect with the flywheel!

Here's the flywheel:

The back of the pressure plate:

The clutch:

And the clutch edge on:

Before this happened there was some slight "jerking" when I would start out in first, but the engine seemed to move a bit too much and further investigation revealed a bad transmission mount. I though that it was possibly the clutch but it sure didn't seem this bad!

Oh well. At least the transmission appears to be ok.
Has anyone else had a clutch come apart like this?

Sour

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Flywheel looks fine, just needs refacing. ($25) A new clutch kit, and you're up and running again.
Let me know when you nedd help reinstalling the cradle.

-Tony

PS - my '66 Barracuda V8 4-speed blew the facings off during a speed-shift while racing. It does happen.

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - August 1, 2004 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2003 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-26-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave