Started on: 02-03-2004 03:40 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: FieroJuice on 05-03-2004 06:12 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I have seen too many broken deck lid release switches in my time.
And I am here to put a stop to it…

Pop off the rocker switch from the main body.
(be careful, as the main body will break at the rocker pivot points, but that’s easy to replace as it is the rocker part that is broken in most switches)

now you are looking at this…

The main cause of failure is that people will push the switch backwards.
Forcing this slider…

against this post on the contact board…

causing this part of the rocker to break

fill this area up with JB weld or glue or whatever.

This will keep the spring wire held in place.

The rocker cannot be pushed the wrong direction.
And it will save your trunk release switch.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donk316

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2004 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Excellent thread. One of the few that get the DONK stamp of approval. + for you

------------------

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

Excellent thread. One of the few that get the DONK stamp of approval. + for you

same here i got to go do that soon

CRNF2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CRNF2Click Here to visit CRNF2's HomePageSend a Private Message to CRNF2Direct Link to This Post
DEFINALTLY doing this when i get home
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, on my car (88 GT) you can not push the switch in the wrong direction - well you probably could if you pressed hard enough (probably the pin holding it back)...just wondering if it would be better to remove the pin from the switch that way the switch 'can' move both ways and won't have to be forced in the down direction, breaking it. Just a thinking, never took a switch apart to look at it.

Tim

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
You just saved everyone at least $15 at one point or an other! Great thread.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
just wondering if it would be better to remove the pin from the switch that way the switch 'can' move both ways and won't have to be forced in the down direction, breaking it.

I already did it. But it’s harder.
And you have more chances of screwing something up.
With this way you only run the risk of breaking the clips that the rocker pivots on.

If you take the contact board out, you…
Run the risk of braking the main housing in 4 places
Have to remove / cut / unsolder the little wire that powers that little light bulb.
Then once the circuit board is out, you have to deal with the slider, a spring, and a metal plate that is the contact on the slider. Keeping all of this in place while you try to put it back together can be a problem.
Then once the modified circuit board is back in you have to resolder the wire for the little light.

but feel free to mod it however you like.
that's the best part...

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG

84se-Stock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se-StockSend a Private Message to 84se-StockDirect Link to This Post
Buddycraigg...you do great writeups. I actually just finished fixing my switch a few weeks ago however my fix was much easier. All i did was take the switch from my parts car and put it in my daily driver. If you don't have access to another switch this is a great fix. Keep up the great posts.

-Caleb

[This message has been edited by 84se-Stock (edited 02-04-2004).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
THANKS.

but i really hope at least a few people will do this.

SAVE THE SHAWN

err, i mean switch...

Avery Montembeault

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post
hey, you still gonna tell me how to fix my shift cable?
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Avery Montembeault:

hey, you still gonna tell me how to fix my shift cable?

oops, be right back.

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002
done.
in your shift cable thread
thefierofarm.com

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comDirect Link to This Post
Buddy,
You should send this to the Great Fred. He will put it in the KCFOG newsletter for you. I would send it but I want you to get ALL of the credit.
By the way, now lets see you come up with a way to fix them after they are already broken.
That Todd Guy

thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
AWESOME!!! now i dont have to go buy a new one!!! Or i could shell out $15 hmmm.... + or $15
+ for you $15 saved for me!!

------------------
-Bobadoo Funk-

http://bobadoofunk.tripod.com/funksfunkyfiero/index.html

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thefierofarm.com:
I would send it but I want you to get ALL of the credit.

Just to let every PFFer in on the joke.

I try to submit one or two tech tips each month, for the KCFOG newsletter.
I’ve mentioned anything from squeegying your windows with a wiper blade, to only the 84s having all three break lights on each side due to the extra relays on the firewall.
And each time I say something our chairman / newsletter editor feels that he has to say something to the effect of, “Buddy says…”

The joke comes from me using tips that Todd has mentioned previously to the group, but somehow if I say it, it seems to be worthy of being in the bible.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Just to bump this it took me a few mins. to find it, I am going to be doing this very soon, again a good tech thread thanks!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
Nextel 2 way is 111*32*19163

86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2004 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
+ from me as well, nice writeup

hans

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
So which way DO you press it, just so we're clear? I tried up and down, and mine didn't work, so guess it's time to fix it eh?

------
|_UP_|
|-----|
|_DN_|
------

???

And I'll be doing this when I get the car back from the shop!

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 05-01-2004).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2004 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Buddy...

You've done several nice articles... Now get them into a web site so people can find them easy in future.

That exact reason is why I originally started my cave. People can find all my major articles without digging thru the archives.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

So which way DO you press it, just so we're clear? I tried up and down, and mine didn't work, so guess it's time to fix it eh?

------
|_UP_|
|-----|
|_DN_|
------

???

And I'll be doing this when I get the car back from the shop!

if you can push down on the switch then this

is already broken off.

I try not to talk bad about GM but they really screwed up here.
They put the light behind an image of the deck lid open on the bottom side of the switch…

Now is a normal person going to instinctively press on the top of the switch or on the image screaming, “PRESS ME”.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by theogre:

Buddy...

You've done several nice articles... Now get them into a web site so people can find them easy in future.

That exact reason is why I originally started my cave. People can find all my major articles without digging thru the archives.

Ogre,
Thank you for the compliment.
But did you see the KCFOG website I made?

Sure it looks good now thanks to “Bucky” (one of our newer members).

I shouldn’t be allowed near any html.

Right now I am using this thread in TOT to keep track of the write ups that I refer to often.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/019965.html

I cant speak for the other people that I have linked to their threads, but I would be honored if you used some of my material in your articles to make the information easier to access.

Buddy

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:
...or on the image screaming, “PRESS ME”.

That's what I thought too, but it didn't work, so I tried the top, and that didn't work either. Oh well I'll replace it and try this so I don't have to replace it again! The old switch was looking pretty worn anyway.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

That's what I thought too, but it didn't work, so I tried the top, and that didn't work either. Oh well I'll replace it and try this so I don't have to replace it again! The old switch was looking pretty worn anyway.

check the wiring, especially at the connector at the decklid. i spent far too many hours fooling with the switch only to find the metal connector was loose in the plastic housing, not getting a good contact. DOH!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Is that the same rocker the pwr window switches use?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
MJ... No. Power Wind is a different switch. Trunk is similar to the rear defog switch but only moves in one direction. You might be able to use the rocker bit but that is all far as I remember right now.

Buddy... Keep in mind that Forum article links aren't stable. Cliff moves things to the archives every so often and it breaks all the links. (My cave always has a few broken links due to this.) The KCFOG web page looks nice... Now you just need to layup your articles and post them.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-02-2004).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The reason I asked about the rockers is that I have put leds in my window switches, and need a rocker that will allow the light to be visible. I glued some semi-tranparent plastic lenses in my window sw rockers, but it looks kinda crappy-ok-it looks REAL crappy. There used to be a picture of the finished rocker in this thread, but it's rode the thunder I guess.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20020825-2-020164.html

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-02-2004).]

Dgzfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DgzfieroSend a Private Message to DgzfieroDirect Link to This Post
So if the grey rocker is broke can I just get a new one from a parts store or do I have to replace the whole switch?

[This message has been edited by Dgzfiero (edited 05-02-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2004 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I just got it done and its working, thanks alot!!!!! You saved me about $15 the shipping.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
Nextel 2 way is 111*32*19163

FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2004 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
Just did it while I have my dash out. Thanks for the tip. +2u

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock