Started on: 01-01-2004 01:28 AM
Replies: 42
Last post by: lurker on 06-27-2004 11:14 AM
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2004 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
being handy and cheap, i want to try making my own flushmount headlights. since i've accquired a little $ for xmas, i was thinking of going to the junkyards tomorrow and looking at the 93-ish camaros, sunbirds, grand ams, cieras, etc for slim headlamp assemblies.

does anyone have any advice about what cars to look at, parts to get, how much to pay?

*asdfg*

------------------
'84 2m4 se, a work in progress http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/fiero.htm

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 01-02-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
88-89 Olds Toronados use sealed beam bulbs, not composites, that are only about 2 1/4 inches high. Thats what I put in my GT40.
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
thanks, roger. if the weather holds, i'm off to the yards to look. hopefully i'll have parts this afternoon and can start this project, with pictures naturally.

i figure from the few responses (1) and # of views (80+), that there's interest but not many have done this. guess i should have mentioned gwen stephani in the title?

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Geo Storm's are 'staggered' instead of sideXside...

------------------
New Name.... New Attitude....
AKA. SmoothGT....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Thats what I put in my GT40.

Got any pic's Roger, or a Link to a picture..??

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

coincidentally after looking at 3 junkyards and maybe 1000 cars, i couldnt find any of the cars i listed. so i bought geo storm fixtures complete for $60 + $5.85 tax. they will require serious modification, and i may have to cut the hood, but i'm going to make them work with you all's help. now, where'd i leave my hack saw?

i will post progress with pics.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

coincidentally after looking at 3 junkyards and maybe 1000 cars, i couldnt find any of the cars i listed. so i bought geo storm fixtures complete for $60 + $5.85 tax. they will require serious modification, and i may have to cut the hood, but i'm going to make them work with you all's help. now, where'd i leave my hack saw?

i will post progress with pics.[/QUOTE]

I have been looking at those same lights for my car.

My Idea (you are welcome to use it ) was to put the Low-Beams the stock headlight area. and to put the High-Beams in the fascia, where the front parking/turn-signal lights are at.
That left the issue of no front parking/turn-lights. But, I thought I could come up with something for that.

Good luck and make sure to take a couple of pics for us all.

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2004 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
problem #1:
this is a 4-light set, so i must have 2 lights on each side. the lamp rims are 3 9/16ths high by 5 13/16ths wide. i dont think the height will be a problem, but the width certainly is. two lamps w/ rims side by side is <> 11 5/8ths wide. fiero headlamp cutout is 10 1/4 inch. looks like i'm going to have to remove about an inch and a quarter from the hood. the outside edge has stuff under it on the fender, so the inside edge is the likely victim. looks like i'll need a spare
hood.

today i went to walmart and ran the 91-93 geo storm thru their headlight computer. they are the same lights as on the camaro, sunbird etc.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2004 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
There must be some difference, theres tons of people here using Camaro lights set up as duals.
FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

There must be some difference, theres tons of people here using Camaro lights set up as duals.

Well, they better step up with some pics. Side by side you either need to lose the hood hinge or some of the wall that the fender bolts to.

PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
current status, 01/06/04.flushmount project
suggestions for materials, wiring invited.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 01-06-2004).]

yosemitefieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yosemitefierosSend a Private Message to yosemitefierosDirect Link to This Post
Lurk.. Why? "being handy and cheap, i want to try making my own flushmount headlights..."

Interestingly enough, one of the things that a lot of the ricers like about my Fiero is that it has pop up lights.

Gary

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i'm glad that you like your pop-ups, but i think mine are ugly, aerodynamically evil, failure-prone and dead weight.

what do you think, should i go with sheet metal or acrylic for the brackets?

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
Lurker ,
when you get the mounting done and need some covers contack K&A acrylic in shelbyville they do some really good work and are inexspensive.
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
after 4 failed attempts, i have what appears to be a workable prototype. now i need advice with the wiring.

i'm going from a 2-lamp system (3 wires) to a 4 lamp system, 2 on each side(4 wires).
(1) does the polarity matter on a sealed beam?
(2) can i just splice the 2 ground wires together and stuff the resultant 3 wires into the existing 3-wire plug?
(3) does anyone sell a plug to go into the existing 3-wire plug?

timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
yo lurker pm me and if you want ill meet you in spin chat
i have the same lights in mine but i got them off the 94 camaro and they are mounted and working
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
pm sent, timmer.
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

ok, it's just a prototype, and it's got a long way to go.

but it's working flushmounts using camaro/cutlass/sunbird/storm lamps. although technically not legal, they are DOT approved lights. the bottom edge is 23 & 3/4" above the road. i drove to school today with them on in the rain, and they were still working when i got there!
http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/flush2.htm
comments?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Can’t they be inspected and approved once they are installed?
How do hot-rodders put newer lights on old cars? You see it all the time with old cars and trucks.
Just because these are not 1960 cars should not stop us from upgrades like this.
Anyone have any insight on this?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Most times if you have them adjusted properly, no one will ever stop you. I ran 4 driving lites in a full size custom van for years and never got stopped. Drove the Ferraro around for a couple years with no headlites on (didnt like flip ups) just used my under bumper driving lites 100% of the time. Unless you have vehicle inspections, they never know what they are. Most wouldnt even know if they were approved or not when they looked at them. If you get inspected, just keep quiet and let them tell YOU. Then you can pop in the orig to pass, and take them right back out afterward
PFF
System Bot
timmer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
interesting
can you post mine ( as they are now ) man it looks horrible without the front skin
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
ok, here are some of timmer's; comments are mine.
high beams

wiring access

driver side detail

a little cutting and mending

i'll add the skin pics when he sends them. lookin' good!

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 02-17-2004).]

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
ok, here's timmer's next picture, with the nose back on.

still needs a lot of work, will post more pix as i get them

anyone else got homebrew flushmounts?

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 02-19-2004).]

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Very unique if you manage to get them into the bumper like that, and looking repectable. What about if you put your low beam under the hood, and your high beam in bumper where your turning signal is. you could foolow something like this
http://www.fierosound.com/moreMODS.htm#Park/Driving/Signal%20Lights

i think thats going to be the route I'll take, keep this thread up to date so you can probably influence me to do otherwise.

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Comealongway:
What about if you put your low beam under the hood, and your high beam in bumper where your turning signal is.

i think that's what klingonfiero (above) has in mind to try.
timmer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
bump .... thanks for posting these pics lurker ill try to get more work done this sunday and get some more pics . i have lots going on selling house and figuring where to put the babys room now that the wife has a second one the way
Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taedir:
Any updates?

i'm trying to avoid cutting the hood.

since the 4351/4352 combo is too wide, i'm trying to convert the single beam 4351 to a dual beam lamp. i have corresponded with a person here who has done this, but it's technically involved, and beyond my abilities right now. i've also corresponded with a company which makes sealed/composite conversions, but that's single-beam to single-beam.

i'm still trying, and will post developments.

i haven't heard from timmer lately, nor from the guys looking into putting the high beam lamps in the bumper.

the setup i have shown above throws plenty of light. although i need to aim them, i'm perfectly happy with the illumination they provide.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 03-08-2004).]

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
The hi/lo 4351 conversion is pretty lo-tech actually. You just need to cut off the back of the light and attach a hi/lo halogen bulb of your choice.

I can show pics if you want, as I have several in different stages of completion. They are going in as low pop-ups.

The snag is that the light output is not great as the hi beam is shining thru a low beam pattern in the glass.

I have noticed that some of the newer Dodge minivans have a headlight/turnsignal combo which is pretty small. The advantage is that the fixture is plastic and it should be easy to cut the thing apart to yield a small hi/lo headlight. It does mount with a slight angle versus perfectly horizontal but should look fine as a flush mount.

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBUZZ:
The hi/lo 4351 conversion is pretty lo-tech actually. You just need to cut off the back of the light and attach a hi/lo halogen bulb of your choice.

I can show pics if you want, as I have several in different stages of completion. They are going in as low pop-ups.

yes, i'd like to see them. pm sent.
PFF
System Bot
HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
FieroBUZZ,
Can you post those 4351 pics here?
FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
There are some pics at the link given. You will likely need to type in the addy or cut and paste to get it to work, good old geocities.

www.geocities.com/fierobuzz/lurker.html
Gary

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
very nice!
thank you, gary.
Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
Very nice...Hmmm...I just had a light motor go out on my '88.

------------------
'88GT T-Tops

timmer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
bump
timmer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post

timmer

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2002
i thought i bumped it
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
you did, you did.

got any fresh pictures for us?
the vendor of the parts i'm looking at hasn't responded to my last e-mail and i'm short of cash so mine's on hold.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 04-13-2004).]

Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomDirect Link to This Post

FieroBUZZ, the Fiero plug style hi/lo halogen bulb ... what is the number ... what was it a replacement for ?
SandstormGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SandstormGTSend a Private Message to SandstormGTDirect Link to This Post
Looks very cool, you can have "sleepy eyes" Do you have any pics of the "slim headlight" conversion outside of the car?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock