Relocating Antenna?? by Toogy
Started on: 04-05-2004 11:04 AM
Replies: 29
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-07-2004 09:43 AM
Toogy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
I want to relocate my antenna under my front fender. Is it possible to do this without having to mess with the rivits under the ground effects? Can I just undo all the bolts on top, wheel well and market lights and have enough room to relocate the antenna?

Thanks guys.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
since you will be copying Skitime's idea....Ask him! see his thread "history of skitime"

Free plug for ya ski

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

since you will be copying Skitime's idea....Ask him! see his thread "history of skitime"

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025998.html

Ski WAS'NT the first to shave the antenna off... <pucker> <pucker> Ski did'nt do Fiero mod's FIRST! Other's should get some credit as well...
I did it, but I used heavy gauge wire wrapped from the passengerside around to the driverside. I am 100 miles from Dallas and can pickup 7-8 channel's from there!

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built W I D E B O D Y ~ GT!! One of One!!
3.4DOHC/5speed swap coming soon..(gathering part's now!)

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
mount it horizontally under the body panel, on the wheel well.
i zip tied it a couple times down, cut about 3 inches off the end of the antenna, and i get perfect reception.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a replacement under the dash antenna from car audio places that work just fine. You can remove the antenna and plug the hole in the fender.
Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
So I don't even have to remove the fender? Just remove the antenna? How do this under dash antenna's work?
rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
i would remove it partially so at least you can do a proper glass job
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

You can buy a replacement under the dash antenna from car audio places that work just fine. You can remove the antenna and plug the hole in the fender.

i would like to do this to my car. it would make it easier to put on the car cover. i won't have to keep taking it off and on, PITA.

toms...

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I just used my rear window defroster strips for an antenna. All you have to do is disconnect it and solder the antenna cable from the radio to it. Center goes to the wire loop, outer just goes to a body ground. Works fine on the Ferraro. I get at least 60 miles on a decent station. The GM minivans like my lumina use a wire run around the inside of the roof the same way.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-05-2004).]

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
If done right it will work okay. I bought a car once that had it done wrong. The wire that was run for the antenna was grounded to the frame at the far end of it and the hole looked like it was filled with wad of bubble gum sprayed with base coat. Because of the grounded wire the reception was poor and the plugged hole looked like a zit.. Guess it was okay in the dark and close to a radio station.

Dave

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

I did it, but I used heavy gauge wire wrapped from the passengerside around to the driverside. I am 100 miles from Dallas and can pickup 7-8 channel's from there!

Can someone please tell me why I didn't think of this, but instead hide the cable just under the roof skin when I had my headliner out last month?

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 04-06-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Some guys on here have used the sunroof frame itself for the antenna....while they had the headliner out......
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dguy:

Can someone please tell me why I didn't think of this, but instead hide the cable just under the roof skin when I had my headliner out last month?

Do you have you antenna shaved already..?? If not, and If you DON'T want to remove the headliner again.. You can just wrap the cable around the front trunk area and bolt it to the frame every foot or so to get good contact with the front frame area... then just bolt the end of it to the frame as well...
It work's very good and I get asked all the time how I get radio channel's that far WITHOUT an antenna..
There are several places to hide the cable, wire, etc....

Roger...
What other little trick's do you know of besides this hidden antenna trick..??

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"

Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
How much work would it be for the body shop to fill the hole? I will be having my car in the shop in a couple of weeks to fix some rear bumper damage and would like to get this done at the same time, but don't want to spend a fortune having them do it.

[This message has been edited by Toogy (edited 04-06-2004).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Roger...
What other little trick's do you know of besides this hidden antenna trick..??

rumor has it that he ALSO knows....... hide the monkey, AND his best trick...... how to keep it t his self !! lol teve is such a dork

(sorry Roger )

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Toogy, nice to see you back around. I like that rear deffroster option for an antenna. The other thing you can to if shaving the antenna is not in the budget is to put a modified antenna that is cut down to 2 inches. Spearse on PFF is in London and can do yours as he did his and ours.

Pete

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive also used rear window defogger for TV antenna in my limos. That worked great even in downtown for reception. Worked 10 times better than the stupid boomerangs all the limos have. I could pick up good tv channels 30-40 miles away good enough to watch too.
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Hows that cut antenna work out? still get decent reception? I really want to do this

our antenna is common right? can i pull another one off an S10 or something?

James Z

Originally posted by PBJ:

Toogy, nice to see you back around. I like that rear deffroster option for an antenna. The other thing you can to if shaving the antenna is not in the budget is to put a modified antenna that is cut down to 2 inches. Spearse on PFF is in London and can do yours as he did his and ours.

Pete

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I've been modding the whole body and almost forgot to shave the antenna!
So can I use the regular fiberglass stuff for filling the gap? does that work on the doorskin too?(small repair)

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 04-06-2004).]

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
I just did this the other day. All you have to do is remove the right front fender. Undo the antenna and fab a mount and drill 2 holes in the spaceframe. Here's a couple shots of mine.

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
i used stuff called bondo-glass.....
worked very well. prime over it and your done.

oooo smooooooth..........

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Pete

Yes, I am back around Haven't paid much attention to the Fiero all winter and I am starting to get the bug again!

Probably be dropping the car around to see you for an oil change in the near future.

Congrats on the new addition to your family

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

I've been modding the whole body and almost forgot to shave the antenna!
So can I use the regular fiberglass stuff for filling the gap? does that work on the doorskin too?(small repair)

Yes you can use it on both.. I did anyway's! been alomost 3 year's and all is still fine with itand it has been my daily driver for the past 8 month's and almost 9,000 miles..

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by Elenor84:

I just did this the other day. All you have to do is remove the right front fender. Undo the antenna and fab a mount and drill 2 holes in the spaceframe. Here's a couple shots of mine.

El...
Is you tire gonna hit the antemma..?? It look's like it might if you hit a dip pretty hard! Just a thought and wanted to ask you before something happen's...
Do you have any pic's of your fender shaved...???

rmphoto

That look's SWEEEEEEEET!! VERY NICE job!! Got any other picture's..??

[This message has been edited by NotAFieroAnyLonger (edited 04-06-2004).]

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
el i hope your gonna bend your antenna around the wheel well.. hah stickout out like thats gonna look pretty funny.

rmphoto

That look's SWEEEEEEEET!! VERY NICE job!! Got any other picture's..??

not right now... maybe ill take some more tomorow.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

. You can just wrap the cable around the front trunk area and bolt it to the frame every foot or so to get good contact with the front frame area... then just bolt the end of it to the frame as well...

Steve, Have you ever tried it without grounding it to the frame? If the mount itself is grounded, then grounding the antenna wire to frame also actually hurts reception. The stud where the antenna would normally screw on is supposed to be insulated from the frame. I think if you try it with the wire ungrounded you will see further improvement in reception.

Dave

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Smooth, no it won't hit the tire, it is above the inner fender well.
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Elenor84:

Smooth, no it won't hit the tire, it is above the inner fender well.

Great, I could'nt tell in the picture if it was going to be ^^high^^ enough for the liner to be installed...
I just wanted to mention it.. I would hate for you to get everything finished and installed and it not work.. I have done a few thing's on mine that I had to re-do because it would'nt work after-all!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

Steve, Have you ever tried it without grounding it to the frame? If the mount itself is grounded, then grounding the antenna wire to frame also actually hurts reception. The stud where the antenna would normally screw on is supposed to be insulated from the frame. I think if you try it with the wire ungrounded you will see further improvement in reception.

Dave

No, I have'nt tried it likw that! Because I am getting some channel's like I said above outta Dallas and thats 100 + a few miles from Tyler and I can pick them up WITHOUT any fading out! (97.1-105.3-etc.)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
either the mount is grounded or the antenna shaft. Whichever you pick the other has to be ungrounded for best reception.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock