Started on: 03-29-2004 09:56 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: USFiero on 03-30-2004 09:10 PM
Golden86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
I know how to do the toe, but what do you do to move the caster and camber, what do I adjust? I need to know this because I have to drive the car a decent amount of miles to get it to the alignment shop on the highway, and I have to have the car somewhat aligned. Thanks for all the help, pictures whould be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Gold 86 Fiero GT
Future plans: Not to start on fire!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Well, that depends. I'm assuming you are talking about your 86 GT. In which case, if you do not have adjustable ball joints, then the camber and caster are set from factory and cannot be adjusted [IIRC] I am 99% positive you need the adjustable balljoints to properly align your car if it has been lowered, if it has not, then you should be ok with the factory specs.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over" ;)

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
ok, can you tell me where I can get the adjustable ball joints?

------------------
Gold 86 Fiero GT
Future plans: Not to start on fire!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Someone speakup here and refresh my memory on the Caddy Ball-joint's for this as well...

------------------

Custom Built W I D E BODY~GT!!

"I would rather be hatefully remembered, then just forgotten!!"

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
The toe-in is what will really tear up your tires, as long as you set that you should be able to drive it for 100 miles easy without doing damage. How far do you need to go?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

The toe-in is what will really tear up your tires, as long as you set that you should be able to drive it for 100 miles easy without doing damage. How far do you need to go?

Yep, just setting the toe will be fine to get to the alignment shop. Moog makes the adjustable ball joints for Fiero. Caster and Camber are set by using shims and washers on the mounting bolts of the upper 'A' arm. Wouldnt hurt to soak them both down on both sides with PB Blaster the day before you take it. The can really rust in their, then you have a big problem. Using the adjustable slotted joints helps eliminate having to take the arm off to set it.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
Ok, thanks. so I don't have to get the adjustable ball joints? My car is lowered, can it still be aligned to specs without the adjustable ball joints? Oh, and someone said something about a cady?

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 03-30-2004).]

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
The caster is adjusted by changing spacers on the upper control arm bolt - this was set at the factory and unless your car has been damaged it won't need adjusting again. The camber is adjusted at the upper ball joint - the factory joint has a limited amount of adjustment which is done by rotating the ball joint 180 degrees in its mount on the upper control arm. Moog "Problem Solver" ball joints have slotted mounting holes and can be adjusted more easily.

Make sure that your ball joints, control arm bushings, and tie rod ends are tight and right before attempting an alignment!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Lowering it may make a spec adjustment hard to get unless you change the joints. Not necessarily though, you wont know till they spec it. By lowering it, you have changed the front and rear suspension geometry slightly. Also insist on ' on spec' when they do it, not the typical ' within approved range ' that most shops seem to like doing better.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I cut one spring from my fronts. From what I have gathered from Herb Adams and Gerald Stvorik you can rotate the stock upper front ball joints to compensate for conservative drops (1 inch projected) If you notice the stock ones aren't centered, they are offset. I put the stock spacers from the upper a-rams in envelopes labled 'right front' 'right rear' 'left front' etc to put them back to stock caster. Some caster change might be desired for racing, but I don't want that twitchy a car. I guess all you can really adjust on a stock car is toe in. Adding the adjustable uppers lets you adjust camber which is unneccesary with a stock setup but (from what I have been reading) if you lower more than an inch up front you'll need the MOOG problem solvers.

Get your front lower ball joints replaced for safety sake!!!

Out back I'm going with ST 1.5 inch lowering springs, a Monroe cmber bolt for the lower mount of the strut. I'm going to make up for the extra drop in the back with a larger rim/tire combo. Speedometer calibration be danged. Toe in in the back is adjusted by lining the wheels up to the body so the car doesn't dog-track.

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!
Battery re-located up front using a V8 Archie box
Remote Start/Window Rollup/Lock/Trunk Release/Alarm
White Gauge Faces w/120 MPH Speedometer Conversion
Hidden Antenna
Urethane Suspension Bushings
Sequential Tallights
Custom Painted Dash Panels
Oreif's painted door tabs and horn button
Shortened Automatic Shifter w/Beretta shiftknob
SpyHunter Intake Scoop
H4 Headlight Conversion - done right!
LED Third Brake Light/Custom Headliner