More blatant previous owner stupidity. by Azriel
Started on: 03-28-2004 06:58 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Blacktree on 03-29-2004 12:20 AM
Azriel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
One day last week, my 87 GT auto simply refused to start. It was behaving like it had moisture in the distributor, and considdering that i have had similar distributor issues this time of year on other cars, I assumed this was the entire probelem. I got new plugs, cap and rotor for it, but when I pulled the distributor cap off, nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to see.

I regret that i have no pictures of this before I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and a toothbrush but here is the best I could get it.

Guess what that is.

If you said "Well, it appears that some retard sprayed lithium greese in there." You are correct.

The cap and rotor were melted.

As if all that weren't enough, here is a piece of a previous rotor that was left loose in the distributor.

This distributor is entirely worthless now, and I will be replacing it as soon as the new one arrives next week.

I should have known there would be more after what I saw when i did the brakes, I just never expected this incredible level of ignorance.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Azriel (edited 03-28-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2004 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI, This didn't cost me much, unless you put a surcharge on swearing and tool throwing.

I found a complete remanufactured distributor, ignition module, coil, and computer for a 2.8 camaro on ebay for $1, $1, $1, and $5.50 respectively. after shipping gouging I paid $24 for all of it.

Didn't need all those parts, but hell, why not.

------------------

Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
Ouch. Bet she runs better now! Are you still interested in the Toshiba CD Changer I had for sale?

Thanks,

Brad

------------------

The End of an Era...The Thingy is finally absent from my Siggy.

Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
Yes actually, pzl PM me with price and a pic if you could. That included a wiring adapter, but not a mounting adapter correct? It has been quite a while.

[This message has been edited by Azriel (edited 03-28-2004).]

JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
My previous GT had oil in the dist when I first got it. It turned out that they had over filled the engine oil. So when you went over 60 mph the oil pressure built up and the oil had to go somewhere. Some of it went to the dist and some got past the pcv. That
made a huge cloud of smoke!
twentyeight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twentyeightClick Here to visit twentyeight's HomePageSend a Private Message to twentyeightDirect Link to This Post
I had to fix crash damage from my po. apparently, he was a drunk and smashed it up on a 'snowbank.' that 'snowbank' sure did a lot of damage. first time I put the visor down, a plastic baggie with two joints in it fell in my lap.
Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The previous owner of my '87 SE used a piece of a lawnmower blade with a couple holes drilled in it as a replacement dogbone engine mount. He said it made the shifts feel more snappy. Well, it cracked the dogbone mounting bracket (the one attached to the cyl head) in half, and trashed the front lower engine mount. He also used a piece of 10ga solid copper wire as a replacement spark plug wire.

Sometimes I get the feeling that my car is like one of those pitbulls that's rescued from the dog fighting trade and relocated to a good home.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock