Sunroof gasket/molding, where to buy? by The_Ikon
Started on: 03-28-2004 05:05 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Jeremiah on 04-04-2004 10:18 AM
The_Ikon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
I need to get a sunroof gasket, seal, rubber moulding(or whatever it is called)! it is dry and brittle. Is there an aftermarket for this part or do i have to buy it from GM? I would hate to paint the car with an old gasket. I also need help on the e-brake cable. where to buy the replacement cheap, the other is broken and needs to be replace from the rear.

Thanks,

The Ikon

------------------
65' Karmann Ghia
http://photos.yahoo.com/the_ikon1911

85' Fiero 5 spd
Jaguar XJ8 L
Audi A6 Quattro
Jeep CJ7
Lexus SC 400 *Best car ever RIP

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i was just in this perdicament (sp?) last week...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/039477.html

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
KCFOG

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
thanks, is it as easy as it appears to replace?
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
It's really easy. Just pull up on your old one and set in the new one. Use a small flat screwdriver to push it down into the rail and make sure all of it is down in there. You dont want the edges sticking out. Also, if you have an '84 or an '85 (maybe an 86 even) now would be a good time to drill some drainage holes if you dont already have them.

Originally posted by The_Ikon:

thanks, is it as easy as it appears to replace?

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post

Jeremiah

2265 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Ill just toss this in here. It even shows you where and how to drill the drainage holes (dont be nervous about drilling holes in your Fiero... it's fun!)

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/sunroof/default.htm

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
hey, when drilling hole for drainage. where is the water draining too? is the car construced in which the water drains out of the car into the engine bay or to the ground or what?

also that's a good link you have for replacing the gasket and the drainage hole mod...

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Personally I would recomend spending the $50 or so to get it from GM, this is the part that keeps the water from dripping on your head. If you want a good used one I will sell you one for $20 shipped.
The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2004 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
I'm with you! I'll spend a few extra bucks and get the new one..

------------------
85' Fiero 5spd notchback
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigtime1911/album?.tok=phlWNyABDV9Lapf.&.dir=/2a9c&.src=ph

65' Karmann Ghia
http://photos.yahoo.com/the_ikon1911

Jaguar XJ8 L
Audi A6 Quattro
Jeep CJ7
Lexus SC 400 *Best car ever RIP

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2004 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
The water drains down onto the frame and then falls out under the car beside the door. Moisture normally gets in between the body panels and the frame and it has to get out some where. I dunno what the frame is made out of... hopefully something that doesn't rust too easily.

Even if you do plan on getting a new gasket you should still drill the drain holes... you should also consider getting replacement gaskets for the sunroof hooks if you find the gasket alone doesn't fix your problem - but one leaky sunroof fix at a time

Originally posted by The_Ikon:

hey, when drilling hole for drainage. where is the water draining too? is the car construced in which the water drains out of the car into the engine bay or to the ground or what?

also that's a good link you have for replacing the gasket and the drainage hole mod...

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 04-03-2004).]

862M4inCA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 862M4inCASend a Private Message to 862M4inCADirect Link to This Post
If your having problems finding the sunroof seal, remember, the Fiero Store also carries this gasket. It's a bit on the high side ($75) but well worth the cost to eliminate a wet shoulder or water damage to the interior. Also, I would suggest replacing the rubber grommets in the sunroof itself where everything bolts on since these too have a tendancy to dry out, crack and leak.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2004 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I just searched on All Data and did not find any TSB about drilling any holes in the sunroof.

Would someone dig up a TSB number for me?

PFF
System Bot
Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2004 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go. Same number for 84 and 85.

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 86-10-1
Date of Bulletin: Jan 1986
Component: VISUAL SYSTEMS: SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY
Summary: VISTA VENT WATER LEAKS. REPAIRED BY ADDING DRAINAGE
HOLES TO PLASTIC ROOF OUTER PANEL AND REPLACEMENT OF
HARDWARE NUTS AT HINGE AND LATCH LOCATIONS ON GLASS PANEL.
PROCEDURES FOR ADDITION OF HOLES. DESCRIPTION AND PART
NUMBERS OF NEW HARDWARE NUTS AS WELL AS PROPER SEALING
PATTERNS FOR WEATHER-STRIPS (IF REPLACEMENT IS NECESSARY).
ALL 1984-1986 PONTIAC FIERO MODELS WITH AD3.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock