broken a/c line / fix? by TejasFiero
Started on: 03-28-2004 12:51 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: theogre on 03-28-2004 03:06 PM
TejasFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TejasFieroSend a Private Message to TejasFieroDirect Link to This Post
I also discovered that the a/c line ( 1 side only ) was broken at the fitting , looks like it just snapped off. Could this be welded again? Also, the bracket that holds the lower section of the a/c lines that run to the front of car is loose and seemed to have had some type of rubber groumet that helps it fasten to the body. Does anyone know where to get a new one? Should I just buy new lines? This is for an '88 coupe
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
It's possible to have the hose connection repaired but it may not be worth the cost. A replacement at GMpartsdirect.com is $76.04.

edit: revised image, might not be used on 1988 2.8L.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-28-2004).]

GTDude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
You could have it welded, but the system is under alot of pressure on the high side at times. Best bet is to buy one.

Phil

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Spark... thanks for the numbers. need one of those myself.

TejasFiero,
If it was leaking thru a crimp fitting, like mine is, you could get it repaired easy enough thru many AC and some hydraulic shops. I just haven't bothered.

being you broke the aluminum I would replace whatever broke. Welding the assembly shown above probably won't last long as that is the most abused hose assembly in the entire system.

You should also check the engine mounts and read the torque strut article in my cave. Especially if you have an automatic transmission. Breaking that hose assembly is a sign that the engine is moving way more than it should be.

One important warning for everyone... If that new assembly above or any other rubber you buy is using the original type of hose, and there is a real chance it does, you do not want to put R134 into the system. R134 will go right thru the R12 hose. It doesn't do that on used hoses because they are soaked full of the old oil.

Normally I believe all the new barrier hose for R134 is marked but I don't know if it would have been used in parts for an older car. Especially a part used in a tiny list of cars. These hoses may have been in inventory for years.

ACDelco reports the hose above used only on the following Fiero models:
1988 PONTIAC FIERO L4 2.5L 2474cc 151cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = R
1987 PONTIAC FIERO SE L4 2.5L 2474cc 151cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = R
1987 PONTIAC FIERO SPORT L4 2.5L 2474cc 151cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = R
1987 PONTIAC FIERO L4 2.5L 2474cc 151cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = R
1987 PONTIAC FIERO GT V6 2.8L 173cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 9
1987 PONTIAC FIERO SE V6 2.8L 173cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 9

Unless you can confirm the item uses the new Barrier Hose, you have two options.
Use R12 or have Barrier Hose installed in place of the R12 hose.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock