Stock Duke manifold material and welding by PontiacMan
Started on: 03-27-2004 04:47 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: PontiacMan on 03-29-2004 12:05 AM
PontiacMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacManSend a Private Message to PontiacManDirect Link to This Post
I broke the O2 sensor bung off the exhaust manifold yesterday trying to get the O2 sensor out (broke without almost any effort), and I'm trying to figure out what to do besides completely replacing the manifold. What is the stock manifold made out of? It looks like it can be welded (I see welds on the pipes...) but I'm not sure. Any idea? Is it cast iron or something else?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

------------------
1987 Fiero - 2.5L, auto tranny, stock
1970 Firebird - built 455+.030, lots 'o mods

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
stock exhaust manifold is made of stainless steel. Easy to weld with a MIG or TIG.
PontiacMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacManSend a Private Message to PontiacManDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Thats what I was hoping to hear. When I looked at it last night it looked almost like cast iron, but then I noticed it wasnt one big cast this afternoon. I didnt want to bother my friend with using his welder until I knew for sure it'd be weldable.

Thanks again!

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-27-2004 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
To do it right you'll need to use the proper filler metal, likely 410 or 308 stainless, and 100% Argon shielding gas. Generally the easiest way to do this is to use TIG for the repair. Be aware that this manifold also generates lots of cracks in the main body and at the welds to the two side tubes.

JazzMan

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
don't even bother...

go to almost any salvage yard and get another manifold or three for cheap. The same manifold is used on all the FWD cars with that engine. I've never payed more than about $20 for very good used ones.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

PontiacMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacManSend a Private Message to PontiacManDirect Link to This Post
Even $20 I dont spend on stuff I dont need is $20 I save.

I'm going down to my friend's shop tomorrow to see if I can weld it on with the manifold still on the head. If I have to take off the manifold to do it I'm just going to buy a new one. The main issue here is I dont want to snap bolts off in the head, plus I'd rather save my $20 for the next thing that breaks.

PontiacMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacManSend a Private Message to PontiacManDirect Link to This Post
Just an update. I went over to my friends shop and welded the bung back on. Its working nicely now, and having a working O2 sensor helps the drivability a lot!

Thanks to those who contributed, I'd give you a + but I havent been on here for 30 days yet

[This message has been edited by PontiacMan (edited 03-29-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock