NEED HELP by NexGen
Started on: 03-25-2004 01:52 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: buddycraigg on 03-25-2004 06:16 PM
NexGen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NexGenSend a Private Message to NexGenDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,
The Fiero is finally out of hybernation. Theres a problem though. Im having issues starting it; I go to turn it over and nothing (like a dead battery but not dead). I had a friend look at it back in London and he said it was the white plastic knob attached to the clutch. So i cut the wires and attached them togeather and still no start. I was wondering if there is someone in the GTA area that can come by the house and take a look at it as i cannot afford to have it towed / worked on at a garage? I live in Oakville near the mall. My number is 905-845-4240. Thanks for any help guys

Luke

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NexGen:

problem .
Im having issues starting it; I go to turn it over and nothing (like a dead battery but not dead).

Check both your battery cables for corrosion at both ends, including battery connections. If you still have original cables, replace them. (edit): Make sure the grounds for the engine to chassis are in place and are in good condition.
If the cables are clean the starter is wanting more AMPS to turn and is the culprit. (edit: 52 AMPS is max draw I think) Get a new one.

Originally posted by NexGen:I had a friend look at it back in London and he said it was the white plastic knob attached to the clutch. So i cut the wires and attached them togeather and still no start. Luke

Since this wasn't the problem, don't forget to reconnect them as they are there for safety reasons.
G/L

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 03-25-2004).]

NexGen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NexGenSend a Private Message to NexGenDirect Link to This Post
Battery cables are clean, and starter is 1 year old.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
first things when looking for why it wont start:
does it have spark? and - does it have fuel?
to check for spark, take out a plug, put the wire back on, let it set so it gets ground, careful you dont zap yerself, and have someone crank it. you should see a nice blue spark
to check for fuel, sniff the hole that the spark plug came out of, after you cranked and looked for spark - it should smelly gassy
I would guess at a fuel problem, if the cars been sitting. when you first get in, and turn the key to the 1st postion (not to start). listen carefully. you should hear a little whirring for a second or 2. this is the fuel pump getting up to pressure. if you no hear that, problem found. either the fuel pump relay isnt working, or the fuel pump is dead.
NexGen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NexGenSend a Private Message to NexGenDirect Link to This Post
I guess I should have explained a bit better. I have been driving it for about 2 weeks now, Was driving just find yesterday, and last night it wouldnt start, i tried about 6 times and boom she starts up. Now today it wont start at all.
EMFORCE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EMFORCESend a Private Message to EMFORCEDirect Link to This Post
I am having the same problem. Every rare time, I went to start it, turned the key- nothing! It only happened once and a great while, I figured it was the safety interlock on the clutch, as if i raised and pushed the clutch it would then start
Now it is happeneing a LOT more frequently, pumping the clutch does not help, pushing in the brake does not help (another safety interlock?)
and it is taking longer and longer to finally start. It is no rotation of the engine but all other electrics seem to energize. I only tightened
the battery terminals, have not yet removed the line and neutral cables to clean. Could it be the electric cooling fan screwing things up??

------------------
EMFORCE
'88 Formula (Silver)
3.4 L, 5-speed
Performance tires/wheels, sound system, electrics, exhaust, etc. (man I NEED new seats!!)

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Just as every one says,It's either corosion under the battery cables,were they attach or water has been known to drip down the back of the trunk causeing poor contact at the starter also inspect any,if there is any fuseable links down there.....?Try charging the battery if you have a charger.Check your fuses,then check the fuseable links to the right of the battery at the wireing harness.Most likely its poor contact at the battery or starter.If the car starts after charging,then you may have a bad alternater........
NexGen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NexGenSend a Private Message to NexGenDirect Link to This Post
EMFORCE - you nailed it right on the head, thats exactly wants happening. ok guys a bit of an update. The battery is fine, there is gas in the tank as i filled it yesterday, the spark plugs are fine, no corosion on the battery or any of the wires of that matter. I cut the wires for the clutch safty and wired them togeather using electical tape, still nothing.....
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i thought i posted this link earily in the day.

i most have put it in a different thread (oops)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-032744.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock