Started on: 03-24-2004 11:22 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: fiero308 on 03-25-2004 12:00 PM
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
heres what i know
the engine is a 1974 ( i think) 4 bolt from a vette, bored .030 over, flat top hypereutetic (sp?) pistons
heads are World Product S/R tourker's there at the machine shop right now getting done about the max that can be done to them, im not sure on exact specks on them but he said that theyy'll be about maxed out when there through with them, stiff springs, port/polish ect... the intake is a weiand Stealth,and the carb is most likley gonna be a Carter 650
oh, also it has 1.5 roller rockers that i would like to re-use....so keep that in mind when helping me choose the correct cam

i know the motor has a preformance cam in it now, but i have NO IDEA what it is, so this weekend im maybe gonna tear into it and see what i can find out, but is there any recomendations as to what i should get, im not worried about gas MPG, im out to make some power here folks , but i still wanna keep it able to idle nicley
also im in the looking for a distribuitor, what do i need ?, there is not gonna be any acrssories in the engine compartment only an alternator, and an CSI electric waterpump
but i know NOTHING about distribuiters all i know is that it has a vac. nipple on one side of it
im thinking about mounting the coil in the trunk area aswell, any other suggestions?

------------------

Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
Match the cam to (in this order):
Your driving style
(short shifter or 'I like to bounce the needle off the red line')
Intake & exhaust capablilities
(Weiand Stealth is a dual plane, so it's more of a torque low-mid RPM intake, but it'll probably flow well up to 6000 Rs. Fiero exhausts are somewhat limited in flow w/ the many bends needed.)
Trans type
(As in do you have an auto or manual. A well built auto should hold torque better, but you can always get a dual disk clutch for a manual.)
Wear and tear in general
(High RPMs are more stressful to a motor.)

All things considered, I'd shoot for a cam designed to peak at 2800-5500 rpm. Something like a Crane H272 or H284; they're both designed for 1.5 rockers, and provide good midrange (streetable) horse power. Hopefully this helped.
Good luck,
Scott

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
im running a Spec stage III clutch, now i have a 4.10 but it will be a 3.65 4 speed
the exhaust is sanderson cc90's, ith full 2-1/4" and 2 cats, and 2 mufflers, i know the exhaust is restrictive, but i wanted it quiet..
AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
With that exhaust and a 3.65 trans, I'd run something like the H272 cam. The power curve would be nearly identicle to the factory 2.8, but obviously it would be much higher. If you went with more cam than this, the exhaust would probably stifle any increased performance you would have seen in the higher Rs.

[This message has been edited by AnimalGT (edited 03-25-2004).]

HarryG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
If I were you, I'd make a couple phone calls.
First one would be to the machine shop that's doing your heads to have them hold up on assembling them until you pick a cam. Those "stiff" springs may not match your new cam.
If they're really heavy, it might be overkill and lead to extra wear.
Second call would be to a cam company and let their "techs" pick the cam, after they find out your engine specs and what you want the car to do. I know COMP Cams has an 800 number, don't know about Crane. But don't be surprised if the cam they recommend is milder than you think you need.
fiero308

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post
you say you are getting the heads 'done'........
does that include milling or even resurfacing? Do you know much about the heads as they are? What you might want to keep in mind also is whether or not you might go to 1.6:1 rockers in the future? And what is your current piston to valve clearance? And what is your redline going to be (going to the strip a lot?) and so on. That is one of the things that can really take the wind out of an engine is if you bang the valves against the pistons a few times.........
two more cents........

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock