engine work by Lucius Silanus
Started on: 03-24-2004 11:05 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Lucius Silanus on 03-25-2004 12:03 AM
Lucius Silanus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lucius SilanusClick Here to visit Lucius Silanus's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lucius SilanusDirect Link to This Post
I am bringing my 84 SE to a friend of the family to replace the warn clutch disk and such. I was thinking of asking him to tune up the engine while he was down there. He will replace the warn clutch parts for about 400 dolalrs, but I haven't talked to him about the engine yet. The car has been in storage for about 6 or 7 years before i got it, i drove it for a summer, stored it, and the clutch went so it has effectively been sitting for two winters. What else should I do to the duke keep the car running strong and efficiently. I'm fairly limited on budget, probably try and stay under 750 if possible, save money for a new coat of paint (needed.) Any suggestions of what I should ask him to do or what I could do myself would be appreceated. I'm fairly new to the Fiero, having only owned mine for 3 years, one of those not in my possesion. The only thing i've done to the car so far is replacing some warn calipers. I don't have very much experience with mechanics, but I do pick it up quick and my father and grandfather were both mechanics.

Thanks in advance

------------------
- Lucius Silanus

http://geocities.com/jupiterlucatious/baby.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
It would probably be a good idea to flush and change all your fluids and do a good clean of all your sensors...oh and make sure no mice/mouse have made little house in your heater hoses/housing.

just a start...

-Phil

------------------

86 SE V6 under constuction
Please rate me if i am of any assistance, thank you...

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Phil's response is a good idea. If your car has been relatively inactive for 10 years definitely a tune up is needed with wires. Have the distributor checked out for there might be a wee bit of corrosion under the cap.

If the engine is maintained it should be a nice running car. You are starting from several years of non use or limited use, so many "things" could be in need of replacement.

Lucius Silanus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lucius SilanusClick Here to visit Lucius Silanus's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lucius SilanusDirect Link to This Post
hmm, forgot to mention: when my uncle got the car some 8 years ago (i believe) the engine was toast. He got a replacement duke with 83k miles on it. Since then I've only put something like 2 thousand on it between work and school, but not sure what he put on it. Therefore I don't know how long the engine was sitting before that, how well it was taken care of, or what was replaced during the transplant. I have receipts for replaced shocks/struts and a tape deck, but nothing more. I got another set of tires and sand-blasted the rims a bit, but I lost a little of the black/silver color on the inside of the spokes. If I can think of anything else I'll post (unless of corse the post dies.) Thanks for the advice, I'm making a list and will be checking it twice

------------------
- Lucius Silanus

http://geocities.com/jupiterlucatious/baby.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock