3.1 motor swap (not what your thinkin) by MR P BODY
Started on: 03-24-2004 10:08 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: MR P BODY on 03-25-2004 01:40 PM
MR P BODY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MR P BODYClick Here to visit MR P BODY's HomePageSend a Private Message to MR P BODYDirect Link to This Post
like all 84 fieros my car is plagued with a 2.5 Iron duke. this is fine and dandy for every day use but i would enjoy my car more if it had a V6. ive thought about doin a carbed 2.8, just to keep it simple. but one off my co-wokerd talked me into doin a 3.1 V6 outta 91-94 caviler or sunbird. but instead of just swap fiero V6 parts on the 3.1 block i wanna swap the whole motor in. the gen 2 heads plenums and everything. i realy like the 3.1 motors, tons of power and are pretty rev happy. the swapin of the ECM and wiring wont be that hard, but i would like to know if any one has dont a swap such as this. i want to keep the stick in my car so i eather need to find a doner car with a stick or.... can i use my 2.5 flywheel(i doubt its but i need to ask). also if any one has done the swap the Throttle body would be pointing to the passanger side of the car. what have people done for a air inlet system. me and my friend work at a automotive garage and are very capable of doin this(we both are hard core hot rodders) i just want to know if any has else has done such a thing

------------------
Black 84 2M4

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoDirect Link to This Post
I am with you on this question as I would like to do the same thing with my 86 2M4.
MR P BODY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MR P BODYClick Here to visit MR P BODY's HomePageSend a Private Message to MR P BODYDirect Link to This Post
come on some one must have some info

------------------
Black 84 2M4

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
The intake manifold is symetrical, so you can just flip the throttle body over to the drivers side. If you are using the stock accessories and motor mounts, you will need to notch the right rear side of your decklid to clear the alternator and weld a dogbone mount to the firewall. You'll want the ECM from before 93 as the V-6's didn't have a MT option in 94 and later. For the flywheel, use the Fiero 88 V-6 or knock the extra weight off an 85-87 flywheel.

But...

With the amount of work involved in this, you could do a 3.4 TDC or similar swap. The 3.4 TDC engine will probably be more expensive, but it has something like 40 extra HP.

PS. I think Orief and 00IE have done this swap.

PPS. I have done a 3400 swap, which has similar issues, but not this exact swap.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Been there done that. I had it with the automatic 4T60 transmission too. Got great mileage and was a bit faster then a stock GT. What really would have taken the cake would have been if I put the turbo on that motor. Its one of the easiest motors to put a turbo on. I miss that motor.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 03-24-2004).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I did a 94.

and this is another 3100SFI that some one else did

I sold that car to Songman and I now have the 3.5
I did alot of work on it and the car was much better off with that 3100SFI than the stock 2.8. It was certified smog legal in CA.after it was done.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 03-24-2004).]

MR P BODY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MR P BODYClick Here to visit MR P BODY's HomePageSend a Private Message to MR P BODYDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info guys, but do any of u have any more

------------------
Black 84 2M4

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock