Started on: 03-24-2004 08:15 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-27-2004 08:10 PM
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I noticed a vibration problem in my 86 SE frame (4 speed Muncie) after I returned from Daytona early this week. Between 10 and 20 to 25 MPH, I notice a distinct vibration and the car seems to shudder from side to side a bit. The problem improves significantly at higher speeds but is still noticable. I can think of several things that could cause this type of problem, but wanted to post and see if anyone else has an idea. Could be engine mounts, but I had someone rev the engine while the car was in the driveway and saw no significant movement. I will put the car up in the air soon and try to get a look at the mounts to see if everything is ok.

Other possible causes that crossed my mind are damaged suspension component, lost wheel weight causing vibration problem, or a bad radial tire? Can anyone come up with any other potential problems or a simple way to diagnose the actual cause of the vibration?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohutch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchClick Here to Email fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post
it could be any of those things.....

i'm gonna share with you the knowlege that a mechanic once shared with me.

Start replacing the cheapest stuff first

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If its not a tire balance problem, Id check the rear axle/CV joints. Sounds like one is failing. It will cause the axle to shake around when driving.
amikin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amikinSend a Private Message to amikinDirect Link to This Post
my car is doing the same thing, how do you check to see if its the axle/cv joints

i had a balance done and they told me 3 of the 4 tires were separating. I'd like to check if it isn't anything else before investing in new tires though

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 341
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianClick Here to Email PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
first guess would be a slipped belt in the wheel. next I would guess balljoints, but its really tough to say. jack the car up - shake the wheels - look for slop
Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
LOL...i had a slight shaking when i'd hit about 70mph. Went to work on my ball joints and found a huge dirt clod on the inside of my rim! Knocked it off and haven't had a shake since

------------------
Techbot's Homepage

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Problem solved and I got lucky. Once the rear wheels were off, it was obvious that I had a separating radial tire belt. Found a used tire that was an exact match with a lot of remaining tread, rebalanced both rear tires, and ended up with a $35 bill.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Count your blessings, lol. You may not be that lucky to get off so cheap when you have another problem,

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock