Started on: 03-24-2004 07:41 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: lurker on 03-24-2004 10:31 PM
MiZer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerClick Here to Email MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
ive heard that one can remove the engine from the top of the car rather than drop the cradle..

right now i have prety much everything disconnected and engine down to the heads, number 2 cyl is, well, lop sided, so im going to have to replace the engine..

i figure that i need to remove coolant lines, engine mounts and bellhousing bolts, then i should beable to pull the engine up.. correct me if im wrong or if i need to disconnect anythng else before pulling the engine up.

thanks!

Andrew

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 475
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i pulled the first duke out of Ling from the top.
and i really dont recommend it.

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
KCFOG

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Well the engine has to have enough room to slide to the passenger side of the car by about 6" to get the trans shaft out of the engine. Or remove the driver side suspension and slide the trans off the engine.
I dropped my cradle and it was a lot easier to swap the engine with the entire cradle sitting on a table.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

Thebrainn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThebrainnClick Here to Email ThebrainnSend a Private Message to ThebrainnDirect Link to This Post
I will be removing the engine on my 88 Formula soon so this info is also of interest for my situation. What I am wondering is, how high does the car need to be lifted to get the engine out from underneath? I have a floor jack a few jack stands and a pair of ramps, but I can't see any of them being able to get the car up high enough to pull an engine out from underneath. How do you do it without a lift?
Ambulance_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ambulance_dudeClick Here to Email Ambulance_dudeSend a Private Message to Ambulance_dudeDirect Link to This Post
Drop it through the bottom, youll be glad you did. Best way i found for lifting the body is to hook an engine hoist to the place where the engine dog bone mounts to and use the hoist to lift the body way up to clear the engine.

you can rent an engine hoist from most auto parts stores if you dont have one at home.

You can take the engine AND the trans together as a unit through the top, but beware of the back window! and be prepared to swear a lot, its not much fun.

------------------

85 GT undergoing a 2000 3800SC transplant. The wiring hell ugh......headach. Digital dash in progress.........more wiring ugh. Making it all work together.........wheres my advil

90 GMC suburban (for sale $3000 firm or trade for a good running fiero! ask for details, pic below)

2000 dodge intrepid- the daily driver (snore)
2000 Ford focus (SHO engine swap soon!)
2004 BMW Z4 convert, cause gotta have a bitchin chick magnet!
AIM: Ambulancemech

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/046963.html

this will help. take a look...

------------------

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thebrainn:

I will be removing the engine on my 88 Formula soon so this info is also of interest for my situation. What I am wondering is, how high does the car need to be lifted to get the engine out from underneath? I have a floor jack a few jack stands and a pair of ramps, but I can't see any of them being able to get the car up high enough to pull an engine out from underneath. How do you do it without a lift?

Lift the front end up and slide the ramps in. Then raise the rear up. To clear the body with the cradle, The rear bottom of the frame needs to be 36" to 40" high. I had mine at 42" due to the engine going in was slightly taller. Then rent or borrow a hoist and lower the cradle. You can drop the entire cradle and rear suspension as on assembly. Replace and clean what you want then hoist the entire assembly back up.

I used a floor jack and a 4X4 piece of wood to raise the car up high enough to fit the jackstands just forward of the cradle. I then used the hoist to lift the rear of the car higher and raised the jackstands until the rear was high enough.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedClick Here to Email FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I have never used anything more then a decent floor jack, a long piece of metal, a wheel chock and a dolly and two jack stands. Alittle scary but I've done it 20+ times now.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
The major question is WHY???

When pulling it out the bottom is so easy. I pulled a v-6 this morning before doing a gas tank swap on my 86 GT project. Swapping the gas tanks took longer than pulling the engine out the bottom with just a floor jack, two jack stands, and an engine hoist.

MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerClick Here to Email MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
ahh, ok, from the bottom.. thanks.. +s around!

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I would have to say that I can pull out two or three engines from the bottom in the time it takes to one from the top. I have done both ways many times and I will never pull one from the top if I have a choice. One big advantage of dropping it from the bottom is that 90+% of the engine tranny is assembled and adjusted to spec before it even goes in or out of the car I dont know about you but I think it is a pain in the butt just to change the alt. more or less line up the tranny, A/C, wire harness and on and on if you pull it up from the top.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerClick Here to Email lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i promised myself i'd not post in religious threads, but...
ive done 2 dukes out the top, onne with and one without the tranny. link w/ pix
http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/fiero.htm

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock