3 Duke Questions: EGR, TB and Pushrods by ChicagoCoupe
Started on: 03-24-2004 03:18 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: ChicagoCoupe on 03-26-2004 11:57 AM
ChicagoCoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChicagoCoupeSend a Private Message to ChicagoCoupeDirect Link to This Post
Hello All,
On Sunday night I replaced my Valve Cover and EGR Gaskets. I managed to come up with 3 questions in the process:

1. Which bolts hold the TB to the intake? I see some Torx and the two tall bolts that hold on the air cleaner cover. I wan't to tighten the throttle body to the specified torque to make sure I don't have any vacuum leaks under it.

2. Under the valve cover everything was varnished a pretty dark brown (no sludge or goop, though, which is amazing given the age of the car). On two of the pushrods, there was a shiny band where the varnish had been polished off right where the rod runs up through a notch in a kind of stamped metal guide under the rocker arms. This only happened to the second and third rods counting in from the drivers side. What causes this and is there any cause for concern?

3. EGR. When I pulled the EGR off I checked it for carbon. It didn't seem to terrible -- sprayed TB cleaner on the pintle and in the passages. I did notice that when I pushed on the diaphragm it move relatively freely, but it didn't immediately snap back in to position...it kind of slowly returned over the course of a second or two and I could hear the air sucking through the tiny pinhole in the vacuum port. Is this normal?

The reason I pulled the above stuff off is a continuing effort to cure a lumpy idle -- I thought maybe the EGR had carboned up.

Thanks for any information.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Here is my 84 enigne, if it looks like this, it is normal. It is just oil soaking into the metal, and tarnishing it. I dont know about the pushrods though, I cant remember if mine were like that. I would guess that as long as they are not rubbing where they arent supposed to, that is ok

The egr valve sounds like it works normally. All the vaccume to open and close the valve goes through that little hole, that is why it moves slowly. The best way to check to see if your EGR valve is not working right is to block the vaccumme hose on the TB. If it stops, then your EGR is buggered. But it is supposed to be closed at idle anyway I think.

As for the TB:
you can see a bolt at the bottom of the TB, it is a 12 or 13 MM bolt I am pretty sure these are the bolts that attach the TB to the manifold, I dont know how many there are, but they will all look like that.
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/befarrer/temppics/Img_1893.jpg

------------------

Details on my Fiero here
Member of the Edmonto Fiero Club Please rate me if I helped you!

[This message has been edited by befarrer (edited 03-24-2004).]

ChicagoCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChicagoCoupeSend a Private Message to ChicagoCoupeDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^
bump
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I took the picture from the earlier reply and drew arrows for the two bolts and one nut that hold the TB unit to the intake manifold:

The torx bolts hold the injector housing to the throttle body and shouldn't be loosened. When you remove your TBI make sure to clean the carbon out of the EGR passage around the throttle bore, I've seen those completely solid and that would prevent EGR from working properly.

The shiny wear is normal, that's what the guide plates are there for is to keep the pushrods in place.

JazzMan

befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
HEy, that is where my picture went . I was like oh Shoot, I forgot to post the picture.
ChicagoCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChicagoCoupeSend a Private Message to ChicagoCoupeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the good information befarrer and JazzMan! I'm planning on making sure that the TBI is torqued down to spec using the photo's you provided. Thanks also for the info on the pushrod guides.
Does anyone know if it's common for only 2 of the 8 pushrods to show any wear along the guides?

Thanks again!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock