Oil leak by JPlayer
Started on: 03-24-2004 09:16 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: JazzMan on 03-24-2004 11:33 PM
JPlayer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPlayerSend a Private Message to JPlayerDirect Link to This Post
On my 88 V6, I've noticed that I have an oil leak that I think is coming up from the distributor. I plan to pull it and check the O ring...any thoughts on this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Put in one of Rodney's replacements. They are higher temp than stock. I always put a light coat of oil on it before putting in........Paul
Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post
I think this may be where my oil leak is coming from. I have been noticing a few small drops on the garage floor and after recently changing my cap/rotor I noticed a small pool of oil just behind the distributor. Does this sound like the same thing?
JPlayer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPlayerSend a Private Message to JPlayerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I'll order a new O ring from Rodney. BTW on another topic of winking headlights, some time back, the replacement kit I got from Rodney (for the plastic buttons that go inside the motor/actuator) solved my head light problems.

And yes I have a pool of oil around the distributor hold down bolt/bracket...so I'm sure the o ring is the problem..

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exodus5:

I think this may be where my oil leak is coming from. I have been noticing a few small drops on the garage floor and after recently changing my cap/rotor I noticed a small pool of oil just behind the distributor. Does this sound like the same thing?

Yes, it seems a common problem for that o-ring to get brittle and start leaking. I would keep a spare and anytime you take the dist. out put in a new O-ring...........Paul

Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post
Thanks! This helps alot since I was unable to visually tell where the oil was coming from and scared I had something much worse on my hands. BTW, if this is an emergency replacement, they have that o-ring at advance auto for .98 cents. FelPro #70800 (supposedly), though I'm sure Rodney's is better.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's O-ring is the GM fluoroelastomer O-ring for the oil pump drive on the DOHC motor, it's the best there is. The reason GM uses it is because changing that O-ring on that motor requires a complete top end disassembly and pulling one cylinder head. Hard to explain to a customer why a leaking $2 o-ring is going to cost $1,800 to replace.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock