Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  In-car manifold disassembly - how far can you go?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

In-car manifold disassembly - how far can you go? by Spyhunter
Started on: 03-24-2004 02:49 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Spyhunter on 03-24-2004 12:03 PM
Spyhunter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
My intake manifolds are so coated with baked on oil that they look rusty! The car is my daily driver, so how far can you take apart the intake with the engine still in the car? I ventured as far as taking off the plenum, but dared go no further Any suggestions on how to clean this up? I tried a can of seafoam, not much difference,...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post
All three intakes come off with relative ease. If you have a decent amount of mechanical skill you shouldn't have a problem. The only things you need to be real carefull of are cross threading the fuel lines putting them back in. The injector O rings, they like to get stuck and fall in. And the cold start injector line.

As for the stuff in the intake I always use carb cleaner and let it soak on the stuff for ten minutes or so then blow it out with a water hose.

GOOD LUCK.

EDIT: Also an old tooth brush works wonders on all the stuff you can get at.

[This message has been edited by Manic Mechanic (edited 03-24-2004).]

jmaddox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmaddoxClick Here to visit jmaddox's HomePageSend a Private Message to jmaddoxDirect Link to This Post
I think it's pretty easy to take all of the intake off in the car... I've taken the entire Fiero motor in and out from the top before. Like the other guy said, be cafeful with the injectors, some silicone spray will help them come and and go back in better. Make sure you Torque everything in the right pattern and to the right amount. Follow the pattern to take off and put back on.

Very easy in my mind. Use a mild degreaser and some hot water, it will all wash out.

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty good with working on the car - is that doable in one day? Seems like it wouldnt be terribly hard...
What parts would I need for this? Everything in there is probably stock. Manifold gasket set, injector o-rings... should injectors need changing (car runs good now)?

THow would the crud on the intake path affect the performance? The airflow is probably not as clean.... Would it worth the trouble of tearing it all apart to clean if I can't get to other places the crud may have built up? Sorry for all the questions!

[This message has been edited by Spyhunter (edited 03-24-2004).]

Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
If your car runs good then you shouldn't change the injectors... these are pretty expensive and are not that difficult to change later on.

I was told that if I tear the intake I should put in new gaskets but when I started working on it the old gaskets were in mint condition and didn't need replacement, I've had the intake removed a couple of times without any gasket issues. The fuel line on the other hand might be a little tricky the first time.
My advice is to check where you can get new gaskets before you tear the intake and if the old ones are a mess just go buy a new set.

From the looks of it I don't think you'll notice any increase in performance but it's nice to know that it IS clean.

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
You'll also need new valve cover gaskets. The rocker arms will need to be loosened up so the pushrods can be removed. The new intake to cylinder head gaskets go around the pushrods, and while some folks cut the gaskets rather than remove the pushrods, that can cause problems. Be careful when you reset the valve lash, some books call for turning the rocker arm nut a full turn after the pushrod clearance is gone. That is too much, you'll only need about 3/4 of a turn.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
The plenums come off pretty easy. The intake manifold itself is a little more messy. Be sure to drain some coolant before you take the intake off. It has coolant in it, and it will run into your oil if you dont. Also, your distributor will have to come out. You might wanna check with your local shop to see how much it would cost to have them acid or chemical dipped. Some shop will sandblast thru the ports too. Cant get em any cleaner that that. But, throttle body cleaner & a toothbrush do a fine job too. also, if your have a dremel, gasket matching the ports of the plenums could give ya a little more power too. could sandpaper the runners smooth if you like also, that'll help in keeping them cleaner too.

But, I usually just take off the intake snorkel, start the car, open the throttle ands shoot throttle body cleaner down the intake, while its running, and all the intake snot shoots out the exhaust, and lands in my driveway....

but, I also did take my plenums & hand cleaned, dremeled & sanded 2 years ago. If I was to do it again, I would have them dipped, then dremel/port them, then paint them.

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, sounds like more work than its worth to just clean the intake manifolds. I think I'll leave it how it is until I do a rebuild one day. Thanks for the info guys!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock