Tune Up Questions by JeffsGT
Started on: 03-22-2004 10:36 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: JeffsGT on 03-23-2004 04:09 PM
JeffsGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffsGTSend a Private Message to JeffsGTDirect Link to This Post
O.K. I've just spent $500 CDN on the following parts:

Oil, Oil Filter, Spark Plugs, Wires, Distributor/Rotor, Air Filter, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter, Ignition Coil, O2 Sensor, MAP Sensor,Temp Sending Unit, Brake Pads - Front, Brake Pads - Rear.

I couldn't get a MAT sensor or an EGR valve at Cdn Tire and I was wondering how important these are for a well running engine. I am basically replacing everything I can think of because I'm not sure what's been done to the car before I got it. Just wondering if I should track these down while I'm at it.

Also, has the debate on whether you should remove the decklid to change the front plugs been decided? I've read a few threads that say this is the best way to go and others that say just get a flexible ratchet and get in on top of your engine and feel your way. What exactly does a flexible ratchet look like anyway? Cdn Tire has a tool loan program but, the dude behind the counter apparently knows nothing about this tool.

And, last but not least, is there anything I should do before doing something else (i.e. coil before or after dist., plugs and wires)?

Edit: Oops! 2.8L V6

[This message has been edited by JeffsGT (edited 03-22-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
MAT & CTS sensor is good to replace if you have cold running problems - like stalling & rough running when first started

the flexable ratchet - 2 things come to mind for that - 1 is a ratchet with a handle on a pivot, so it can go up & down, the other is a flexable extension - which is very hard to use & get any good torque on. the decklid is easy to remove, some people can get the plugs without taking the decklid off. a short handled stubby ratchet may help also. I myself have never tried to change the plugs on mine yet - at least with the motor in the car, but that day is coming.

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
I have not tried this yet, but the last time I had my battery out, it looked like it would give you good room to the plugs. also get a new distributor cap and put a new coil on it ( I prefer MSD). You do need the mat sensor in the air cleaner it tells the ECM how cold the air is and to adjust the fuel. also change the ECM temp. sensor. this is the one under the thermostat housing with two wires. this is a very important sensor. I just noticed some of these things you have already put on sorry about that. I am to lazy to go back and change. good luck
Don
JeffsGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffsGTSend a Private Message to JeffsGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

I have not tried this yet, but the last time I had my battery out, it looked like it would give you good room to the plugs.

Nah! It couldn't be that easy could it? I mean someone must have thought of this before, right!!!!!!???? Definitely worth a try. If it works you get a BIG + if it don't, you get a little + for a good idea (I know it's worth the same but still....)

Edit: This may not be helpful if you're left handed.

[This message has been edited by JeffsGT (edited 03-23-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock