Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Installing Undercar Lighting On A Fiero?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Installing Undercar Lighting On A Fiero? by FatDynamo
Started on: 03-21-2004 11:08 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: FatDynamo on 03-23-2004 10:35 PM
FatDynamo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatDynamoSend a Private Message to FatDynamoDirect Link to This Post
hello all

has anyone here installed undercar lighting? how difficult was it? what size tubes did you use? was it worth it? how does it look?

A few questions...

thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
windsweptfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
Ive never done this but I really want to.I have seen them in action at car shows at night and they look killer,I mean SWEET!!!
They cant be very hard to install even if you were to use those nylon pull ties to attach them to the frame...and they are very strong...and then a little wiring to a switch and a power feed.Around here (Michigan) you must be parked to use them(I think)check your local laws first,in fact I going to check here too.Good luck...
Paul

------------------
GOD,Family and Cars...And in that order...

1985 Fiero SE to GTish work in progress.
http://members.cardomain.com/windsweptfiero

ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
Difficult Not Very at All ..I Had Them Screwed Into My Gt Ground Fx First ..

Did Not Like That At All You Could See To much Of The Bulb
So After That Failed I attached them To My Coolant Lines Right By The rocker Panels

The Size I Think Id Would Have To Check To Be Sure Was 48 Inch On The Side And 24 Inch On The Back And Front

Was It Worth It I like Em And So Do Alot Of Others

Does It Look Good You Tell Me lol Check The Sig

------------------
Zero C's 86 Gt Fastback
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

Lots Of Small Mods
Zeros Home Page
MSN Messanger tylercaddick@hotmail.com

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2004 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
As long as you cant see the tubes after you have installed them then its cool. Your supposed to see the glow, not the tubes. Looks UBERTACKY!

------------------

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I've always had trouble mounting undercarriage lights because of the flat surface of the underside of the Fiero.

The front light is extremely easy to mount, but the sides and rear are a pain.
ZeroC, do you have any pictures or info on how you mounted a bulb in the back? I'd like to get some more ideas also!

------------------

'86 2.8L Bottle-Fed In Progress...
'86 2.5L turbo put to sleep

Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
How about along side each side of the gas tank? Maybe with some reflector above. Would that be too far under for good effect?

Arn

fieroman87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
nope, it'd just be more subtle. that's what I am going to do.

------------------
- Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, NERF HERDER!!!
- Who's scruffy lookin'?

Arty: a.k.a. FestYboy or Fieroman87
'87 GT 5 spd.
'88 Festiva 5 spd.
Yahoo messanger: AMAbonus
AIM: FestYboy88L

I Annoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I AnnoySend a Private Message to I AnnoyDirect Link to This Post
I have them on my 86GT. I don't think I have seen anyone else install the sides the same way I did.
As you guys mentioned above, it looks great as long as you don't see the tubes. Do get the proper effect takes a little extra work but it is well worth it.
I started by removing the lower ground effects. I then cut out a strip of the plastic facing the bottom. It was about 3"x48".
I then covered the hole with a strip of 3/8" plexiglass and riveted it in. Do keep out the water and dust I used a small bead of silicon around the edges. I then mounted the tube (48") on top of the plexiglass with the supplied clamps. Once the ground effects are installed back on the car the only thing you can see is the glow from the lights.
Hope that makes sense
If anyone has any questions let me know. I can see if I can get under the car to take some pictures.

------------------
The Rebirth of 72vinman

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FatDynamo:

hello all

has anyone here installed undercar lighting? how difficult was it? what size tubes did you use? was it worth it? how does it look?

A few questions...

thanks

I have a set on my car. It was an easy install. They are the Streetglows Gold Series with a lifetime warranty. I like to use them at evening cruise-ins so I think it is worth it. You can judge for yourself how it looks.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post
If your going to buy underbody lights, you might want to consider using LED's instead of neon. With the Fiero being so low, they are more likely to break a bulb. LED's are almost indistructable. I used to sell the neon's, and they were returned all of the time broken, but LED's hardly ever came back. They are about the same price as neon also. Just thought I would suggest that.

Kris

------------------

FatDynamo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatDynamoSend a Private Message to FatDynamoDirect Link to This Post
Hey thx everyone for ur replies ive decided im gonna do it now my next question can anyone give me some ideas to install em. Obviously i dont wanna be able to see the tubes or anythign so if u guys could let me know what yall have done and whats worked for you.

thx again

PFF
System Bot
FatDynamo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatDynamoSend a Private Message to FatDynamoDirect Link to This Post

FatDynamo

53 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Anyone???

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock