Started on: 03-21-2004 11:00 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: DJRice on 03-22-2004 10:50 PM
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
After 15 months and ~$8000 later, I'm finally getting my beloved '84 back on the road with a new engine, new paint and new tires and wheels. It took more than twice as long and cost about $2000 more than planned - probably sounds familiar to most of you that have done this type of work.
Despite the hardships I'm overall pleased with the results - I rather have a rebuilt Fiero than a new econobox.

I've got a few details to take care of yet; most notably a new windshield and custom A/C hoses. Also need a new center console piece. I've got one in San Antonio but haven't been able to pick it up.

Here is a few pics of what it looks like:

Here's is where the money went. This is from memory and I'm sure I probably missed a few things:

Manta part ‘94 175 HP Quad 4 crate engine - $2000
Shipping for crate engine - $300
Parts engine, Transaxle and ECM - $300
Wheels and tires - $950
Paint job - $1200
Mr. Mike Seats - $425
SE steering wheel - $15
Rally pack gauges - $50
Stainless exhaust mandrel bends - $125
Catalytic converter - $75
TIG welding for exhaust - $70
Used Fiero V-6 muffler - $25
GT exhaust tips from E-bay - $50
Starter $65
Used A/C compressor $50
Clutch Set - $150
Clutch slave cylinder - $60
Flywheel resurface - $25
Getrag transaxle brackets - $90
Transaxle mounts - $70
Motor mounts - $30
Differential bearings - $25
Transaxle input shaft bearing - $50
Clutch release fork and lever - $150
Battery location tray - $50
Battery cables - $50
Fuel pump - $90
Fuel filter - $40
A/N hose and fittings for clutch, heater, and fuel lines - $300
Inline coolant fill tee - $25
Coolant hoses - $60
Spray paint in cans for engine compartment, suspension, gas tank etc. - $75
Recover headliner and sun visors - $50
Misc. consumables welding rod, brazing rod, glue, Loctite etc - $200
Fasteners for body reassembly - $50
Eccentric strut bolts - $20
Adjustable front upper balljoints - $80
Oxygen sensor - $40
Oil pressure sender - $30
New brake lines - $150
New brake caliper - $45
New windshield - $235
New center console piece - $30
New high RPM tach dial - $30
Fuel Injector cleaning - $110
Thernal wrap for exhaust - $35

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 04-03-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
thats a good looing 84 ya have there
i say you tint the windows and lower it

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
looks like its to high in the air to be street legal so i guess your gonna have to get rid of it and since im a REALLY nice guy ill just take it from you for free... i know i know seems like a great deal and it IS!!!

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Now let the fun begin. I think the quad 4 would be a fun combo with the fiero.

Edit-you notice one of your rear directional tires is incorrect.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 03-21-2004).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

thats a good looing 84 ya have there
i say you tint the windows and lower it

You gotta believe these '84's with a Quad 4 are light. I cut one coil in the back and one and a half in the front. On my to do list is to get it weighed. I'm hoping for under 2400 lbs sans spare tire and jack.

I'll do rear coilovers and front drop spindles as soon as I can sneak it past the household budget commitee.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Sweet car man!! Looks factory stock too. Love the HO Quad 4 emblem..just like from the factory

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 03-22-2004).]

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
congrates, do you think you have a part number handy for that collant T you have in the back there. Also get some 1/4 times already, im dying to know how fast these cars can go, I got a ride in postumane's car and i had a big smile on my face the whole time. I'm have so much envy for everyone that has completed the swap.

------------------
Calgary - August 1, 2004 Fiero Fiesta
@ SouthCenter Mall

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, you do need to fix that tire though....check the front passenger tire to see if it's also backwords....if so, switch those 2......grip wont be as good as the tires sit now, especially if it rains.
ImmortalFirefly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImmortalFireflyClick Here to visit ImmortalFirefly's HomePageSend a Private Message to ImmortalFireflyDirect Link to This Post
Wow I can't believe it. I thought you had kinda a rounded figure with $8000, but I added it twice, and it came out to exactly $8000..............impressive car man. I wish I had about $8000 lyin' around to do something with my car. Personally I think mine (with its combo of equipment) is the ugly duckling of Fiero's. But that's just me

Austin

------------------

Practice makes perfect, but since nobody's perfect, why practice?
If life gives you lemons, take them and throw them at people you hate.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iced_theater:

Looks good, you do need to fix that tire though....check the front passenger tire to see if it's also backwords....if so, switch those 2......grip wont be as good as the tires sit now, especially if it rains.

Dont you know its intentional? Makes for doing doughnuts easier and high speed directional changes when the cops are after you

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car and great work. You should be very proud.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
hotoz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hotozSend a Private Message to hotozDirect Link to This Post
Well done,it looks great.cant understand people prepared to drive"off the rack" cars..much more rewarding when you bleed ,sweat and curse over them yourself.
Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
$1200 is about right for a good paint job. How many coats of paint and how many coats of clear? They wetsanded your car, right? Don't have the 'orange peel' do you? I was quoted $1700 for my Beretta... not sure how much it'll cost for a Fiero out here.

What kinda of O2 sensor did you put into your '84? A bosch O2 sensor is only $20 from Autozone/Advance.

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'88GT (5spd)
'90GTZ

rejuvinated

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rejuvinatedClick Here to visit rejuvinated's HomePageSend a Private Message to rejuvinatedDirect Link to This Post
Scott, your car looks GREAT! Like your choice of wheels. I know you'll post your driving impressions for us all to know. I'm also interested in how much it weighs, especially vs. the original weight. Your interior looks good. I really like the color combination you've chosen.

Bryson got his started a week ago Friday but has yet to really drive it. Has to figure out some more programming. It's beyond me. I'm sure he'll keep you posted.

Good work! You worked hard and deserve to be proud!

Bill

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dropzone:

$1200 is about right for a good paint job. How many coats of paint and how many coats of clear? They wetsanded your car, right? Don't have the 'orange peel' do you? I was quoted $1700 for my Beretta... not sure how much it'll cost for a Fiero out here.

What kinda of O2 sensor did you put into your '84? A bosch O2 sensor is only $20 from Autozone/Advance.

I did most of the prep work myself. The old paint was in awful condition. I used a DA with 320 grit and then hand sanded with 400.

The paint was done by one of our pump mechanics at work. He moonlights working out of his garage. He used an epoxy primer but not sure how many clear coats. I talked to a couple of real body shops and they would not touch a car for anywhere close to $1200. One place said that on a repaint they start at $2800 and they hadn't seen the car yet.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 03-22-2004).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by PBJ:

Now let the fun begin. I think the quad 4 would be a fun combo with the fiero.

Edit-you notice one of your rear directional tires is incorrect.

Pete

Thanks for the heads up on the tire. I had the wheels off several times working on stuff and to be hjonest didn't realize that the treads were directional. Tips like this is what makes this place so great!

BTW, A friend recently gave me a 92 DeVille with 156K on the car and 35K on a fresh engine sitting. So I think that there's a 4.9L Fiero in the future.

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Comealongway:

congrates, do you think you have a part number handy for that collant T you have in the back there. Also get some 1/4 times already, im dying to know how fast these cars can go, I got a ride in postumane's car and i had a big smile on my face the whole time. I'm have so much envy for everyone that has completed the swap.

It's a CSI #170-191 from JEGS. To fill it, I made this apparatus from an old radiator cap and a funnel. I cut a hole in the radiator cap and brazed a piece of 1" pipe to it. This way you can watch for bubbles as the system circulates and degasses. Also helps to jack the back of the car up.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 03-22-2004).]

flyingbob

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flyingbobSend a Private Message to flyingbobDirect Link to This Post
Hi sanderson
Good looking car shows what a lot of hard work will produce.I like your style of rim looks sleek.
Bob
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
looks neat ! nice rims ! the valve cover is backwards though! haha

Can't wait to see it at the San Antonio roundup in april you WILL be there right?????

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor, 5sp.
custom hood,trunk,side scoops,IRM front spoiler, dk.Shadow Grey

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Can't wait to see it at the San Antonio roundup in april you WILL be there right?????

It's top on the list of things to do that weekend.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:

To fill it, I made this apparatus from an old radiator cap and a funnel. I cut a hole in the radiator cap and brazed a piece of 1" pipe to it. This way you can watch for bubbles as the system circulates and degasses.

Heheh... Cool idea! I'd say patent it, but someone already did.. I believe Snap-On sells a version of that very device, I thought it was awesome when I first saw it. Basically a radiator cap with a hole in it, that a funnel fits into. Just fill up the funnel with coolant, and let it bubble away. Good work! I never would have thought of it if I hadn't seen it first. Woo - found it. Not on Snap-On, but another site - http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT591_pg2.htm It has a stopper that you stick down in the funnel when you're done, so you don't spill all the coolant left in the funnel when you remove it. Cool!

PFF
System Bot
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hey, it seems I'm going to need that coolant-T for my Ecotec Fiero. Same deal as Quad 4, but the Ecotec is even lighter!!!

Something to keep in mind guys, becuase the motor is lighter than most other Fiero conversions and any stock Fiero motor, and because the battery is up front, and becuase there's no additional weight from a turbo kit, the weight balance is closer to 50/50 than it was, meaning that it will handle better simply because he went to a different motor.

Fuel economy will be better too, as well braking.

Also be sure to check out Bryson's post on his Turbo Quad 4, and mine about my Turbo Ecotec.

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (R.I.P.my beloved J-body. KIA by a Ford)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3, it's finally here, and it is gorgeous!

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 03-22-2004).]

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
flip the top of the cover of the engine around so its not upside down

i would have taken the luggage rack off but other than that it looks really nice. should be good for high 14s in the 1/4 too

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

flip the top of the cover of the engine around so its not upside down

Is there a way to do this without using the actual cam tower bolts to hold it down? I can't see messing with the torque sequence on these bolts just for appearance sake.

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the back tires are supposed to be on like that. Why else would the wheels spin different directions when you have the rear of the car jacked up and you turn one???

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock