Started on: 03-16-2004 04:56 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: JazzMan on 03-19-2004 12:43 AM
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
I am to the part were you use the lock plate compresser. I can't get the lock ring off.. I have been trying for awhile and no go.

Any hints?

Cory

[This message has been edited by CoryFiero (edited 03-16-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Two thin blade flat head screw drivers...

One to lift one edge of the ring, and one to slide it up the column
THEN slowly release the tension on the lock ring compressor. Remove it completely and the ring and all will slide up the column.

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks got it..

Now I got the column all disconnected, all the bolts and wires but it is still held in. Where does it dissconnect from the car at?

Cory

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post

CoryFiero

4341 posts
Member since Oct 2001
BUMP

anyone know how the column disconnects from the car??

Croy

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Just curious, what exactly are you trying to do?
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
haha I got it out thanks to dale

I am tightening the four torx bolt in the column

GTDude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
If you are trying to remove the steering column, you just wasted prob an hour or so....considering your prob removing the lock ring.

To remove the column.......remove 2 nuts...maybe bolts..I forget, that hold the column connected to the dash. Get under the car and push the plastic like bellows that cover the steering coupling and remove the bolt that holds the two pieces. Take a screwdriver and insert into gap in the coupling to separate it enough to separate the column shaft and the Ujoint assm. Then disconnect the wires that to to the wiper, cruise control, turn signals and anything else that you need to disconnect.....ah brakes too.......and pull it from the car. If I missed anything, you find it......lol.

Phil

GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

GTDude

9056 posts
Member since Nov 2001
I could sit here and tell you howl, but it's much easier if you go to "the orgre's care" I believe he has an accurate discription. It is not fun. Unless you are an auto tech or have done lots of them....even then.......it's a ***** .

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. Now on workers comp. and it looks like I will be unable to return to work as a tech.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Unless you are an auto tech or have done lots of them....even then.......it's a ***** .

Phil

What he said...for sure!

------------------

88 Coupe 3.2L V6
60* V6 Power Baby!

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Heh, I just pulled out my column today.. fancy that

There are 2 bolts and 2 nuts, and one on the clamp that holds the shaft in..

I removed all teh bolts, and yanked on the column by the supports.. 2-3 good yanks and she'll pop right out.. then you can pull it apart.. like what im doing..

So hopefully in the next day or so ill have enough motivation to take the 2 columns I have and make one good one... I managed to break off my pin puller in the original.. talk about a great screw up... My new column is one that Dallas (Fiero Type S) gave me.. it was pulled out of his coupe when it was broken into.. So it has a busted column cover, and wiper/headlight arm.. but these are good on my GT..

Now is the time to decide if I want to paint it yellow or not... damn I cant decide

James Z

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Another article that needs updating....

I've done them in and out of the car. I prefer out most of the time. I do take off the steering wheel before removing the column as it's easier with the column mounted. I like to do them out because I usually go thru the whole column and it's allot more comfortable when I have room to spread stuff out. I clean and grease everything that needs it and so on.

For most non techs, I would recomend you leave it in the car. (That assumes you have a warm place to work this time of year...)

However you do it... Get a couple boxes and some plastic containers or jars to put small items in. It is really easy to loose one or more of the small parts and you won't easily find replacements for many of them.

If you want to help keep it from moving around... bind a section of 2x4 to the big mounting bracket. That will help reduce sliding and rolling across a table or bench but let you move it as needed.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2004 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I like doing them in the car, saves having to mess with the auto cable connection. It also gives me a comfortable place to sit, and I lay everything out on clean paper on the floorboards. I do remove the mounting bracket, but leave the lower part of the column connected unless I need to service the lower bearings.

JazzMan

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
I had to take mine out of the car...

As you can see, Im FUBAR'd until I can find the dremel or a drill

my damn pin puller broke off in the hole.. now its going to be a whole lotta fun getting that beeyotch out. Ah well, Im unemployed and have nothing in the world i'd rather be doing (yea you guessed it too.. no GF at the moment, haha)

I should make a better pin puller.. My father just got a lathe.. should make for an interesting lil experiment ..

James Z

GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I got my pin puller from CarQuest. They had it in stock. It needs to be hardened steel bolt to remove them without breaking the threaded part off.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. Now on workers comp. and it looks like I will be unable to return to work as a tech.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Here's the tread for when I had to tighten my steering column.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/044450.html
The thread has links to the info I used and pics as well. All the info I needed to get through tightening my column can be found from that thread. It's not hard, just tedious. Go slow. Look at lots of pics.

I found the "GM Tilt Wheel Pivot Pin Puller" at my local Pep Boys. It's in the specialty tools aisle.
The star bit torx bolts are hard to get to. I had some star bits, but they wouldn't fit inside the column. I ended up tightening mine down with a 1/4" drive nut driver without a bit in it. That fit nice and snug on the bolts. I also used Loctite Red so I wouldn't have to do it again anytime soon.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I have done it a few times now. I recommend to take it out of the car, at least the first time. Because you will do a lot of looking around to see how everything is connected!

Lay all the parts in a row when dissasembling.....you will know why.

I looked for pullers etc around here but they're not available so I made my own. I use a nail and a hammer to get the spring compressor ring off: Put the nail under the ring at the gap and tap it around...

Oh yeah: release the tilt spring (turn the retainer 1/4) before you try to get the pivot bolts out! That will take the tension off these bolts.

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys, I took a break for the night and I am back at it.

This is really tedious and the parts are so small, haha.

this will be the first fiero I have with a tight steering column. I heard its nice.

Cory

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
So i have a question now

Is there anyway to get this gear off? My old column is wreched from my attemps to get out that pivot, the newer column however has that gear broken off.. is there anyway to transplant the gear from the old one onto the new one?

How do I get the bearings out in the shaft to clean them?

James Z

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
That gear is connected to the lock cilinder. It unlocks the steeringwheel when key is turned. Doesn't it just slide out after removing some retainer? (remove lock-cilinder first!)

I regreased the bearing balls on the top part, mainly because they fell out
But if you want to get into the shaft I guess it is too much work....when you've fixed the infamous 4 torx's you wont be thinking about any bearings!

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in Progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Well i got it all apart, cept for that gear.. Im just gunna use the top end on of my old column on the other one.. I misplaced one of the balls that fell out, so i have to canabilize 2 columns to get one whole one

Ill keep some sort of visual diary thruout my ordeal I love digital cameras, eheh

James Z

------------------

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2004 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
ok so continuing on with my problems

the column locking pin doesnt seem to move enough to engage the plate, I am not quite sure if the gear is moving the gear on the rod enough..

Does this look correct? Will it move enough to work fine? I dont exactly want to take apart the column.. again... (going on 6 times hehe)

thanks!

James Z

PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
It looks correct. I can't quite tell in your pic but there is a hook on the top of the funny looking wire that hooks to the slot in the lock rod. It allows the rod to hold in position to the gear.

To remove the plastic gear, simply pry it off, it is a press fit.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2004 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Looks to be installed correctly, here's pics of mine, compare yours to this:

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock