Why me? by Jeff Smith
Started on: 03-15-2004 06:46 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Jeff Smith on 03-16-2004 11:59 AM
Jeff Smith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2004 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff SmithSend a Private Message to Jeff SmithDirect Link to This Post
OK, here's the story. Been working on the 84 for quite some time, main work was changing timing gears. Just got it running what I thought was pretty good and took it out for a spin. While I am driving the oil light comes on and I get loads of lifter noise. Pull over turn it off, start it back up lots of lifter noise, oil light goes out as normal. Get it home, thank god I was only about a half mile away. Shut it down, start it back up oil light stays on lifter rattle to beat the band, quites down after about 30 seconds. What's up? I am thinking that there may still be some small pieces of the old timing gears still floating around. Any suggestions? My first thought is to pull the pan, do another clean, maybe pull the oil pump to make sure it's not gunked up.

I guess it really doesn't matter, I think I am in for some more major work anyway. When I leave the clutch out without the tranny in gear it sounds like I have lifter clatter, when I push it in the noise goes away. My guess is that the throw out bearing is on it's way out.

The real killer is that I have had this car since Oct 2001, and I have only managed to put a total of thirty five miles on it. I know it is fun to drive but it seems that it is just one problem after another.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my oil pressure dilemma.
Jeff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroman87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
do you have any oil pressure? i'd check that first.

------------------
- Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, NERF HERDER!!!
- Who's scruffy lookin'?

Arty: a.k.a. FestYboy or Fieroman87
'87 GT 5 spd.
'88 Festiva 5 spd.
Yahoo messanger: AMAbonus
AIM: FestYboy88L

jim123185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim123185Send a Private Message to jim123185Direct Link to This Post
My GT did the same thing before the new clutch, and the clutch spring forks that the throwout bearing pushes against were very uneven, and a couple were broken off. It could be about time to replace the clutch. The throwout bearing was still very smooth by the way.
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Time for a Caddy 4.9?
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
It's a pain in the butt.. but luckily the 2.5 Iron Duke is VERY easy to work on.

Your best bet is to just completely take out the motor, clean it up, and dissasemble it.

The motor comes out the top VERY easily, and goes back in the same way. Unless you plan on working on both the transmission and the engine at the same time, I wouldn't pull the whole cradle.

Tank the block, clean up the heads a bit with a grinder, put in a good aftermarket cam, and put some fresh bearings on there.

------------------
Todd,
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2L)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
1981 Pontiac TransAm (sbc 350)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Jeff Smith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff SmithSend a Private Message to Jeff SmithDirect Link to This Post
I agree with John on the 4.9 and that is exactly what I want to do, but the wallet isn't going to let that happen soon enough. That is why I am upset that I am going to have to more work on the Duke. I wanted to get it on the road while I was waiting to get the cash together for the swap.

I do have oil pressure and the oil light does go out but I am afraid to run it, if I have already done some damage I don't want to do any more.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Thanks for the replies,
Jeff

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock