Is the power pulley worth it? by the_rib
Started on: 03-12-2004 11:32 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: RickN on 03-13-2004 02:10 PM
the_rib

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for the_ribSend a Private Message to the_ribDirect Link to This Post
Is the power pulley worth it from the Fiero Store? I've long contemplated purchasing one. Has anyone had any problems after installing it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
If you are looking to ring out the very last drop of horsepower from your engine, it could be worth it. The downside of having one is that it slows down the rotation of the water pump and alternator. Some people have problems with their alternators because of this, but that could just be an alternator that is going bad. The upside is that you should be able to rev the engine up a bit quicker, but you won't notice any seat of the pants difference. It's probably worth another 1 or 2 HP at the most. Forgot to mention, I have it on my car.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 03-12-2004).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
I and a few friends have used the pulley without difficulty. I've read a couple people on here in the past have done some runs on the track before and after and have reduced their times as well. I felt a difference in seat of the pants.
If your charging system is weak in any way, the pulley will make it apparent though.
It's best to check your charging system with a real guage/meter and see how it's really doing before you install the pulley. If there's any question on the alternator or a lot of miles on it then replace it. It's a good time to do it since you have to remove the belt anyway.
Make sure all connections for the charging system are clean and tight as well.

------------------
Activities Director N.I.F.E.

www.fierofocus.com

[This message has been edited by Dave Gunsul (edited 03-12-2004).]

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
its a turd piece of junk "IMO"

ive got one that was used for 2000 miles, im selling it to another forum member for $40 shipped once i find it again.

matthew

InDeX420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InDeX420Click Here to visit InDeX420's HomePageSend a Private Message to InDeX420Direct Link to This Post
Im running mone in my 88formula, and ive noticed better pedal feel from switching from mobil1 synthetic to Amsoil then from the pulley...and not to mention my volts will gradually drop if i idle too long, and YES the belt is tight enough...It does something but its not noticable, I dont believe anytone who says they can feel a pidly lil 2-3hp gain in the seat..sorry but i just dont think its possible..
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Had one. Wiill not do so again. Charging problems after the install during night driving in rain w/wipers/radio& lights on. By the time I got home, I had to turn off my lights & wipers to get in the driveway.

Best of luck.

You're milage may vary.

John

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
I'm not sure, I put on a power-pulley kit and a crx intake.
Before these mods I ran 16.5 with my auto, after these mods I bested 16.1, and run 16.2-3 everytime. I know one or both combined made a slight difference, since I did everything the first time to get my times better, in fact I ran 16.5 five times in a row before these mods and the first time out was the 16.1. I think with a a more powerfull motor, or turbo you'd see better results.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I have one on my car from the Fiero store (there are others who sell them) and I have had no ill effects. Now and then when I start the car, my volt light is on and reads 12, as soon as I touch the gas any bit, it shoots up to 15ish and stays there solid.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Will a power pulley cause problems? It can.

Read Watt Story in my cave. It covers how the alternator operates and why you can have trouble.

It all depends on which alt you run and how much crap is running off it.

I generally don't recomend these to people.

------------------
Edison Carter: When did the News become Entertainment?
Murray: Since it was invented.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

jch82

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2004 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jch82Send a Private Message to jch82Direct Link to This Post
I have had one on my 85 GT ever since I swapped in a 3.4L. It has never given me any problems nor am I sorry that I installed it. I really can't give you a before and after since I went from a tired 2.8 to the 3.4 at the same time the pulley was replaced. I say do what you want to do. If you don't like the end result, you can always go back to the normal pulley...

Josh

------------------

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2004 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I have one on my '88GT with no problems at all. I have an extremely low miles car that I didn't want to make any obvious modifications to and I saw the power pulley as a way of getting a little more horsepower without modifying the stock car. I also did it as part of a needed belt replacement too so the expense and effort was minimal. If you think about it, since all the accessories run a varying speeds as the engine accelarates and decelarates, the only time a reduced pulley should be in a position to cause a problem is at idle. What's a V6s idle speed 1000 rpm? The pulley lowers the rpm 25% so that's 250 rpm. Once you've hit 1250 rpm you're back into the factory operating range of the system. If you're alternator can't handle the power pulley I would say you're electrical system is the problem not the power pulley itself.
What it does to the water pump and cooling system I will leave to others that are more knowledgeable. My feeling is that I would have to be autocrossing my car with a marginal cooling system to cause a problem.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock