What is the best 3.1 to salvage? by jnsnet
Started on: 03-12-2004 01:04 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: m0sh_man on 03-12-2004 08:12 AM
jnsnet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jnsnetSend a Private Message to jnsnetDirect Link to This Post
Are any of the 3.1 engines better than others?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Solo2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post03-12-2004 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
None.
Get the camaro '93 to '95 3.4L short block instead.
Rebuilding the 3.4L is the SAME price as rebuilding a 3.1L motor except that the 3.4L motor could yield 30 more horsepower.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
using a 3.1L motor or 3.4L motor is all preference, If your sticking with the stock fiero intake setup, a 3.1L motor can be more fun, but if your going aftermarket intake, then a 3.4L would be better.

ive owned, a 3.1L bored 30 over, in my 87GT and ive had a 3.4L that was bone stock in my 87GT, I can honestly say that the 3.1L was much more fun as i could actually feel power all the way upto redline, where my 3.4L starts to suffer at 5,000 RPM +/- 250 RPM

Most people get motors from 1991-1996 GM minivan's if your going with a 3.1L motor, the starter hole is already on the right side of the block. the Motor i got was a rebuilt motor from jasper with less than 5k miles on it, and somehow it had low output heads on it, so i swapped those out for factory fiero heads which are high output (larger valves) I also put in 1.6:1 roller tipped rockers, and a Phase II cam from www.engine-parts.com, My car had 141 HP and 187ft/lbs with the 3.1L motor (at wheels)

the 3.4L was removed from a 95 camaro, i had to drill the starter holes by using the kit from www.rodneydickman.com after that it was no different than installing the 3.1L motor, when all was said and done the internals of the motor were stock, but i had a fierostore power pulley on it, and i had the ported throttlebody and plenum from darrell morse, Also i had a flowmaster muffler with no cat. When all was said and done, the car had 137HP and 193 ft/lbs of torque

If my 3.4L ever gets torn down again, its getting ported exhaust manifolds, a new cam and 1.6:1 rockers.

The reason the 3.1L motor was pulled was because of a faulty cam-shaft, I will not purchase any parts from www.engine-parts.com again, they refused to warrenty it, even though it was installed and broke in by a shop, They did offer me another phase II cam at 1/2 cost, but to me that was going to be about as worthless as the first cam, Ill get a crane h-272 for my 3.4L

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 03-12-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock