Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  rocket powered Fiero?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C
  

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


rocket powered Fiero? by Arns85GT
Started on: 03-11-2004 09:26 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: ryan.hess on 03-11-2004 09:16 PM
Arns85GT
Member
Posts: 11147
From: London, Ontario, Canada
Registered: Jul 2003


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
For guys who are considering the ultimate bolt-on, and considering a 50 - 75 shot of NOS, there is an alternative.

What about a steam rocket? No kidding.

Check it out. The container is 2' across and produces 1333 pounds of thrust for 6 seconds. Two of them staged sideby side 12 seconds.

They would fit in our trunk(small mod).

Admittedly, generating the high pressure steam would require a pickup truck at the track to re-charge, if you wanted more than 1 run, and you would be carrying an extra 200 lbs around, but, 1333 pounds of thrust?

Could be a fun ride

Check it out. These guys use it on a chassie but it could be a trunk mount with a little hole thru the bumper.

http://www.canosoarus.com/10X1Skycycle/Skycycle02.htm

Arn

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Erik
Member
Posts: 5616
From: Des Moines, Iowa
Registered: Jul 2002


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikClick Here to Email ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Arns85GT:

For guys who are considering the ultimate bolt-on, and considering a 50 - 75 shot of NOS, there is an alternative.

What about a steam rocket? No kidding.

Check it out. The container is 2' across and produces 1333 pounds of thrust for 6 seconds. Two of them staged sideby side 12 seconds.

They would fit in our trunk(small mod).

Admittedly, generating the high pressure steam would require a pickup truck at the track to re-charge, if you wanted more than 1 run, and you would be carrying an extra 200 lbs around, but, 1333 pounds of thrust?

Could be a fun ride

Check it out. These guys use it on a chassie but it could be a trunk mount with a little hole thru the bumper.

http://www.canosoarus.com/10X1Skycycle/Skycycle02.htm

Arn


Someone in Iowa not long ago was selling a Bradley GT on Ebay with a jet engine in it
IP: Logged
ryan.hess
Member
Posts: 20784
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: Dec 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
hehe... I planned on putting some large rocket engines (aka solid boosters) on my friend's dead S-10, but he sold it without telling me mmm.... 5,000lbs of thrust
IP: Logged
Stinkin_V8
Member
Posts: 821
From: SK, Canada
Registered: Aug 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Hehe.. Reminds me of the urban legend below:


The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow obtained a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off-actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra "push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO!

The facts as best could be determined are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within 5 seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 mph and continuing at full power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The driver, soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles (15-20)seconds before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet leaving a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

IP: Logged
collinwestphal
Member
Posts: 698
From: Waukesha, WI, USA
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
theres a shop in waukesha that built an s-10 powered by a rocket. They had a party with all the employees, and good customers late at night. I think about 11 pm. One of the guys brought the s-10, and attempted to start it. It backfired. And the 911 calls went off the hook. The next day there was an article in the paper on a huge bang in the middle of the night.
IP: Logged
Fastback 86
Member
Posts: 7849
From: Los Angeles, CA
Registered: Sep 2003


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Stinkin_V8:

Hehe.. Reminds me of the urban legend below:


The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow obtained a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off-actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra "push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO!

The facts as best could be determined are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within 5 seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 mph and continuing at full power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The driver, soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles (15-20)seconds before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet leaving a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.


I don't think thats an Urban Legend. As I recall, the guy won a Darwin Award for it. Didn't realize until after he turned it on that it can't be turned off.

IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
How fast can you get going in 6 seconds? According to this formula, HP = (thrust in lbs) x (velocity in mph) / 550.

So....

HP = 1333 lbs x 100mph / 550 (just picking 100mph at random - doubt you'll be going faster than that in 6 seconds)
HP = 242HP

At 50mph, HP = 121HP.

Not that impressive.

IP: Logged
ryan.hess
Member
Posts: 20784
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: Dec 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by collinwestphal:

theres a shop in waukesha that built an s-10 powered by a rocket. They had a party with all the employees, and good customers late at night. I think about 11 pm. One of the guys brought the s-10, and attempted to start it. It backfired. And the 911 calls went off the hook. The next day there was an article in the paper on a huge bang in the middle of the night.

backfired? was it gas or liquid fueled?

IP: Logged
ryan.hess
Member
Posts: 20784
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: Dec 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Formula88:

How fast can you get going in 6 seconds? According to this formula, HP = (thrust in lbs) x (velocity in mph) / 550.

So....

HP = 1333 lbs x 100mph / 550 (just picking 100mph at random - doubt you'll be going faster than that in 6 seconds)
HP = 242HP

At 50mph, HP = 121HP.

Not that impressive.

1333lbs of thrust isn't that much. F=m*a. Assuming the truck/vehicle is gutted, and weighs in at say, 1500lbs, the force = 1333*4.45 =5932N. mass= 1500/2.2 = 682Kg A=F/m=5932/682=8.7m/s^2=19.4mph/sec so at the end of 6 seconds, you would be doing ~120mph.

Now if you want some real fun... replace 1333lbs with 5000lbs... acceleration = 33mps^2 or 73mph/sec roughly 3G's. You don't want to do that for more than 3 seconds

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 03-11-2004).]

IP: Logged



All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C
  

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock