Instant Gasket by Paul Taylor
Started on: 03-10-2004 04:11 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: jeffndebrus on 03-11-2004 04:10 PM
Paul Taylor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I plan on removing my Upper Inlet Plenum at the weekend to try and find a Vaccum leak on one of the many pipes under there.
As american car parts are not sold in the UK i will not be able to get a gasket if i break the one that is on there, also i dont want to wait 2 weeks for parts to arrive from the states.

Therefore will i be able to use "Instant Gasket" such as "Hermatite Blue" ??, and just create a thin bead around the whole plenum surface prior to re-assembly.

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT Notchback, 2.8 V6, 4 speed manual. Custom made Tubular branch exhaust manifolds with true twin 3in exhaust system. No CAT, No EGR. No Crossover pipe. ADS Road Race SuperChip & 160 deg stat. Gen 4 eRam. Poly bushes all round. Lowered 2 inches. 16" alloys with 225/45 rubber. 0-60mph in 5.5 sec.

www.fieroforum.co.uk/Paul85gt.htm

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Should be OK,
Just be careful when removing the plenum and it should come off without damaging the gasket. Work slow and have a plastic putty knife handy to help it along.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I have my daily driver sealed up with sealer.
It has been fine for 3 months now. Don’t use too much and let it tack up before putting the parts back together.
Thats what I did on mine and it has been fine.
Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Great, thanks Guys,

+ for you......

Paul T
UK

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
If you break the gaskets why to just buy gasket paper and make your own? Or if you want to go even cheaper just use an old cereal box as the gasket material.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the gasket should come off ok, they are just basicly cardbaord, and no liquid hits them, well, shouldnt hit them...
and, the instant gasket should be ok also, just be very light with it. the plenums arent under much pressure (actually, vacuum).
fear not, you will be fine
Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
Although I have never removed the plenum, I have always thought that if the gasket is in poor condition, a piece could fall off and into the intake manifold. A real possibility I think. So, you might be wise to have a " shop vac" or as you might refer to it a
"shop hoover" handy. A quick vacuum of the intake channels should remove any pieces that may have fallen inside. Ed

------------------

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I just removed mine today for the first time and the gaskets are holding up very nicely. No breakage upon removal. A few things I learned;
you have to have 12 point sockets or wrenches. It is easier to remove the throttle body with the torx bit and also you have to remove the lower (valve end) of the egr tube. Spray everything with pb blaster the night before and you will thank yourself a hundred times.
check my post today---First fire then repair for pictures.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock