V6 harmonic balancer by FieroSE86
Started on: 03-09-2004 07:13 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: FieroSE86 on 03-21-2004 04:00 PM
FieroSE86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSE86Send a Private Message to FieroSE86Direct Link to This Post
Looks like my 2.8 needs a new crankshaft balancer. Went to check timing today and there is rubber visible...and the timing mark wasn't visible because the outer ring has shifted a bit towards the block. I checked gmpartsdirect with the part # out of my 22P manual, no luck. Anyone know the GM part #? I've heard about the timing marks being in the wrong location on aftermarket balancers, and I don't feel like messing with it if I don't have to. I tried searching for balancer replacement, but didn't come up with much. Is this a bear of a job? Seems like full access would be available with the right rear wheel pulled off. Thanks for the help!

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderClick Here to Email CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
If no one else replies to your request go to http://www.wtv-zone.com/fierodave/ and ask Dave.
He should have one he can sale you and answer your other questions as well.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
You can't purchase the Fiero version anymore. The only one new is the GM Performance parts that requires you to scribe a new timing mark.
So that leaves buying a used one. Fiero Dave should have one, If not try Twin Lakes Fiero or Ed Parks.
I have heard that if you take a good one and the bad one to a machine shop they can re-attach the outer ring and line it up.
Or you could have them pin the outer ring to the inner ring like the GM Performance part is.

If you decide to buy new and want to mark it, it's not hard:
Set it to #1 TDC by turning the engine and move the roto of the distributor so it is pointing to the #1 spark plug wire. Then on the new balancer there should be a line at about the 2 o'clock position. The Fiero timing mark is 4.600" to the left of the mark. This should put the line at 0* (+/- 1* depending on how close you are to true TDC.) Scribe the line at the 4.600" and them move the line to 0* and that should be TDC. You should now be able to time it normally. NOTE: There are 3 scribed lines on the balancer, If you re-scribe all three 4.600" to the left of each mark then paint your new scribes white, You can just mount the balance and the timing marks will all line up.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 03-09-2004).]

FieroSE86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2004 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSE86Send a Private Message to FieroSE86Direct Link to This Post
Orief,

I just wanted to say thanks for your help! I followed your instructions on making new timing marks and it worked perfectly! My car now runs better (smoother now that the timing is correctly set), and painting the new timing scribes white makes it easier to see. Thanks again!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock