Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  trick shift tranny fluid for a 4t60 a good idea ?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

trick shift tranny fluid for a 4t60 a good idea ? by 86fieroEarl
Started on: 03-09-2004 12:57 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: theogre on 03-09-2004 09:14 PM
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any special fluid that might be better than the cheapy tranny fluid ? im either thinking of going with mobil sythetic auto fluid or trickshift has anyone tried either ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Haven't heard anything good about either of the fluids you have mentioned. The best stuff I know of to use (which placed high on a list in a transmission magazine) is Valvoline Durablend ATF. Not the MaxLife trans fluid, they actually have Durablend Dexron III/Mercon V that is very good.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I'm using Royal Purple MAX-ATF. So far appears to work great.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
“Ford Type F fluid is used as a “competition” auto trans fluid, since it gives a quicker lock-ups on shifts than Dexron II or Dexron III type fluids. The F type is designed for fast shifting transmissions which utilized a “quick grabbing clutch”.”
Reference:
Ford Motor Company: Transmission Fluids
Notice that both Amsoil and Red Line Racing ATF is nothing more than an expensive F type fluid packaged in a fancy bottle. “Is designed for racing Trans that need the positive shift of “F type” fluid. Contains no slipperiness additives found in Dexron fluids, producing faster shifts and quicker lock-up, and can reduce elapsed time in drag racing.”
Reference:
Red Line Oil: Racing ATF & Amsoil: Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid

Oreif:
Notice that your Royak Purple states "Dexron" which includes the slipperiness additivies which means your are not benifitting from the trans mods that you did. So in other words your a just using a common slipperiness fluid, "slow lock-ups"

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Hey Earl,
I've been using "Trickshift" for about 6 months now. It is expensive but I have no complaints so far. I run a built tranny with a ZZ4. The fluid is blue and looks clear on the stick. It runs quieter and smoother than before.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Solo2:

Oreif:
Notice that your Royak Purple states "Dexron" which includes the slipperiness additivies which means your are not benifitting from the trans mods that you did. So in other words your a just using a common slipperiness fluid, "slow lock-ups"

Well that is not the case. As a matter of fact, Using Type "F" in my particular trans with the heavy duty clutch paks is a bad thing. The Type "F" will break down the clutch material and cause faster wear. Not only does the trans shop who did the work, But the manufacturer of the clutch paks also states not to use Type "F". This would also void my warranty. My "slow lock-ups" were corrected by the Trans Go shift kit.
My tran works great with only a 17.4% loss thru the trans. Type "F" is a "band-aid" approach to get older transmissions to shift firmer, I had the trans built to shift firmer and faster.

As for the Royal Purple, It states it is "SUITABLE" for all Dextron and Mercon applications. In reality it is a synthetic trans fluid. It may very well have some of the same properties as normal Dextron, But with the heavy duty clutches and the shift kit all set-up to use the recommended fluid, Why would I want to risk damage and voiding my warranty?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Using the wrong fluid in any trans is a realy bad idea. I have seen people ruin transmissions rapidly doing that. Transmissions and fluids are designed to work as a matched set or at least that is how people should be thinking of it. And yes, many trans shops and parts houses can tell when the wrong fluid has been run. and often even if the parts are washed because of the way things wear.

I use a good brand of whatever the transmission calls for. Always Dexron III for GM automatic units like TH125c and 4Txx (4TxxE). Even many Fords don't use F fluid any more so watch out any time you work on one.

If you are beating the thing the odds are good you will break something simply from the beating no matter what oil you run. Automatics aren't made for abuse. If you are going to abuse them expect to pay allot of money to have them profesionally built up and even then expect they will break.

You might get a little more playtime from Mobil 1 or something else but I wouldn't count on that. Dexron III is already rated 30,000 miles at least as long as you don't cook it. Cooking any trans fluid will shorten the life of the fluid and the transmission rapidly. (There is a table linked to the trans or the cooling system stuff in my cave. don't remember which right now. maybe both...)

------------------
Edison Carter: When did the News become Entertainment?
Murray: Since it was invented.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock