Clutch Stuck by dcaprio
Started on: 03-07-2004 03:32 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: dcaprio on 03-07-2004 06:42 PM
dcaprio

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
I just bought an Indy that sat for many years inside. I got it started with no problem but the clutch is stuck. Any safe ideas to free it without taking the trans out ?

------------------
88 Formula
84 Pace car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i'll bet that it is the slave cylinder that is frozen, i've seen that more than a rusted together clutch.
check this by pushing the rod in to the slave.

but if it is the clutch you can sometimes free them.
put a jumper wire in the connector for the clutch safety switch.
put the car in 2nd gear.
apply pressure to the clutch pedal and keep holding it, not too much cause you can bend the pedal.
turn the key and let the starter "walk" the car forward for 5 seconds.
stop.
then repeat.

dcaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
The slave is fine , I'm getting about 1 inch of movement. Trust me the disk is stuck to the flywheel. I can chain the car to a tree , push in the clutch and let it fly. I need to know if theres a better way.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
you might try the starter trick before you hook a chain to it.
dcaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try tomarrow after work. Thge chain will be the last thing I try.

------------------
88 Formula
84 Pace car

HALFRacing
No longer registered
Report this Post03-07-2004 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HALFRacingSend a Private Message to HALFRacingDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a fiero GT with the same problem. If your slave cylinder remains extended beyond normal upon release, it's likely the same problem I encountered on my old Grand Am. The lining on the clutch disc wears thin enough to tear away from the disc and it stacks up between the pressure plate and the disc. Thus, the hydraulics can't move the pressure plate far enough to free the total thickness of the lining stack. The only way to free that up is disassembly and replacement.

Can't wait to get my GT running.

dcaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
The slave moves the clutch arm the proper amount. Its smooth with no hard spots.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock