aaaahhhh clutch problem!?!?!?!? by 3800FORMULAGT
Started on: 03-07-2004 12:31 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: GlennGdman on 03-08-2004 11:48 AM
3800FORMULAGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800FORMULAGTSend a Private Message to 3800FORMULAGTDirect Link to This Post
Me and my dad have spent all day trying to bleed my clutch and it just dont work, and when we do my new mclead clutch just fealls weird it wont go to the ground (phyisically imposible) and it only travels about 2 inches, it also doesnt disingage the engine.

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroman87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
sounds like something is mis aligned, like the plunger to the master cyl. or the slave cyl arm to the throw out bearing arm. Make sure you let the car settle for a few hours to give any bubbles a chance to get to the slave or master resavoir.

------------------
- Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, NERF HERDER!!!
- Who's scruffy lookin'?

Arty: a.k.a. FestYboy or Fieroman87
'87 GT 5 spd.
'88 Festiva 5 spd.
Yahoo messanger: AMAbonus
AIM: FestYboy88L

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800FORMULAGT:

... it wont go to the ground (phyisically imposible) and it only travels about 2 inches, it also doesnt disingage the engine.

Does it do this with the bleeder port open? If so then the problem is internal to the transaxle... something mechanically wrong inside. If it is doing the same thinng with the bleeder port open, then you have either a blockage in the hydraulic line, or the master or slave is messed up internally.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800FORMULAGT:

Me and my dad have spent all day trying to bleed my clutch and it just dont work, and when we do my new mclead clutch just fealls weird it wont go to the ground (phyisically imposible) and it only travels about 2 inches, it also doesnt disingage the engine.

When you say " it wont go to the ground " if you mean the pedal won't go all the way down, then your slave cylinder piston is running out of travel before the pedal makes a full stroke. When the piston runs out of travel it hits a snap ring at the end of the ore and won't go any farther. Put a longer actuator rod in the cylinder.

Archie

Pang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PangClick Here to visit Pang's HomePageSend a Private Message to PangDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Archie. I just replaced my slave cylinder and the actuator was too long. It was keeping the clutch from fully engaging. See if you can push the actuator (actually it's just a free floating rod around 3/8" dia) away from the clutch arm into the slave cylinder (with the bleeder open) a significant distance. If you can, you should use a longer rod. Mine was around 5.25" after I shortened it.

Kurt

peabody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peabodySend a Private Message to peabodyDirect Link to This Post
Since Fiero clutch problems can be caused by several things, you'll need to locate the source of the problem by checking what parts of the system work and what doesn't. Before the clutch replacement, everything worked? There is a lot of info on this site for clutch troubles. Do a search? Bent pedal? Is it steel or aluminum? Does the pedal seem allright when you have the bleeder valve open? Did you measure the slave cylinder's rod movement, with it off the clutch arm? You should get near 2 inches of movement. Can you get the clutch to disengage by prying on the release arm? If you can't get it to release at the release arm, you have throwout bearing/pressure plate troubles.Even new slave cylinders are pitted internally enough to be useless. Sometimes the shaft that goes into the bell housing (cross shaft) will bind. The release arm can crack so that the slave cylinder's movement doesn't release the clutch. Do some more checking, search clutch troubles on this site and get back with me and I'll try to help.
GlennGdman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2004 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GlennGdmanSend a Private Message to GlennGdmanDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem when I replaced my clutch line, no matter how many times I bleed the system, I just could not get a good petal. What finally worked was to raise the front end up about 6" higher than the rear and then gravity bleed the clutch line. To gravity feed the system, fill up the master cyinder, leave the cover off, then open the bleeder at the slave cylinder. I can not explain why that worked and nothing else did but that was what fixed my car.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock