Only starts in afternoon, stalls once warm by andguent
Started on: 03-05-2004 05:16 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: fiero86SE28 on 03-14-2004 11:43 PM
andguent

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andguentClick Here to visit andguent's HomePageSend a Private Message to andguentDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 V6 Auto.

The car seems to stall once it warms up. I just now started it up and let it idle in the driveway. The fan kicked on (Rodneys low temp switch) and 30 seconds later the car just stalled. It has done this every time I got it started in the past week.

The car also will crank but completely refuse to start at certain times. The only pattern I can find to this is based on time of day and outside air temperature. If I crank it over on a warmer afternoon (50* F) it starts up. If I try to start it at 8-10pm it just cranks.

Fuel pump should be good. It makes its usual hum before and after I crank. Fuel filter has been replaced. Cap and rotor have been replaced.

A friend an I volt-metered the 6 connector injector plug inbetween the plenium and thermostat housing late one evening. Bank one and two get power. While cranking, the cold start injector was not getting voltage. I assume it should?

Where should we go from here? When should the cold start injector be receiving power? If it is supposed to be receiving power, what would cause it not to? What would cause the car to stall once warmed up?

Thanks all.

------------------
Most comments are opinion of the author and are fair targets for corrections/critisim. :P

Andrew

White86SEV6Auto *dead* *sniff*

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Coil or ignition module. Could have to do with humidity, it is all evaporated in the afternoon, and gets too hot when the engine temp increases.
Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post
The cold start injector only sprays while holding the key in start AND if the cold start switch is closed. The cold start switch opens after a fixed time while cranking (it has an internal heater element that is also turned on wile cranking) OR if the engine is already warm (it senses water temperature). When the key is returned to run OR the cold start switch opens, the cold start injector stops spraying.

Here is a link to help diagnose hard starting...

http://www.syty.org/old/d&e-hardstart.html

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
mmmmmmmm, starts only in the afternoon, stalls after warming..........sounds like you have a female car............
andguent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andguentClick Here to visit andguent's HomePageSend a Private Message to andguentDirect Link to This Post
Turns out the ignition coil probably had a bad ground. We took it out to do some resistance tests, and when we put it back in everything worked. Didnt cost a penny.

I have the feeling the heat shield was warping with temperature change, which was moving the connection.

Thanks to befarrer and Mark for the help, you both get +'s. Roger sorry but your response wasnt quite as helpful. :P

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045669.html
Replace the Coil pick up and the mod. near the dist. cap, it should do it, those two problems drove me nuts.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

fiero86SE28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero86SE28Send a Private Message to fiero86SE28Direct Link to This Post
I had that same problem years ago with a 318 Dodge van. No start whatsover in am but starts fine in afternoon. "Summer months". Turned out to be the ignition module which is mounted on the firewall.. Go figure....

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock