which one? by GT-O-YA
Started on: 03-04-2004 11:01 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: GT-O-YA on 03-13-2004 04:28 AM
GT-O-YA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I was looking through the search trying to find what the best motor is strictly for racing? but came up with nothing. What are your ideas/opinions? Like stated in recent post this car will never see the street only the strip/track and I'm not sure which motor to use. I have built up and helped build up a lot of cavalier with 3.1's and 3.4's all 660 engines. I have heard that these wont work in the Fiero? Tahnks in advance to all.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't you the builder/driver determine which engine you would want for the type of racing you want to do? I've seen big block 455 carburated engines mounted longitudinally into a Fiero by someone running on 1/8 mile drag strips.

You need to do your homework to decide what you want the car for and what class you want to run rather than asking for suggestions, since just about any engine can be stuck into a Fiero.

GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
In a sense any engine can be put into anything I am going to be autocrossing only not dragging. I have just heard that you cant put a 2000 impala 3.4 in these cars, and that is the engine I was hoping for
GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
^BUMP^ Please guys I'm at kind of a loss at which engine to use.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
You can put in ANY GM FWD engine into a Fiero and most RWD engines.
The 3.4L from a 2000 Impala will fit/work. Who told you it wouldn't??
If you plan on using the 2000 3.4L as it sits, Then you can just piggy-back the PCU. Just like those that have 3800SC engines.
The only mechanical change would be is you need to move the starter onto the other side of the engine block.
The only PCU concern would be the trans. Unless the Impala had a manual trans option, You may need to have the PROM changed so you can mate it to a manual trans or go with an auto trans.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
If I can put this 3.5 Short Star into a Fiero you can do the 3.4SFI.

I also did this, and it is the same size as your 3.4 Impala

So it can be done but the hard part is the electrical system. The OBDII is no joke and does take alot of skill but can be done.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
If you are autocrossing here is what it boils down to is what class you want to run in. Remember the more motor modifications the higher and faster class you would be in;
E-Stock Class = Stock 2.8L motor no modifications.
Street Prepared Class, CSP = limited internal 2.8L motor modifications.
Prepared Class or SM2 = any engine or motor modifications can be done.
Notice that this class is a very fast class and has a very tough competition.
Likeihood that a fiero will win in this class is very small.
GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the responses. So the in a sense I should keep the 2.8 and build it to what I can. Just for my own info what do mean by piggyback? Is that where the stock ECM stays in the fiero and you wire the OBD II computer out of the impala strictly to the motor? Just curious. Thanks again,
cable
Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2004 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

I think there are a few guys using 4.9s doing autocross. Scabblegod comes to mind, tho I could be mistaken.
GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
How do you think a Turbo 3.4 with mildly massaged internals would do in one of these cars? I'm thinking like 230 horse non boosted and about 300 horse boosted (running around 8 psi)? Or should I just open up the 2.8?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT-O-YA:

How do you think a Turbo 3.4 with mildly massaged internals would do in one of these cars? I'm thinking like 230 horse non boosted and about 300 horse boosted (running around 8 psi)? Or should I just open up the 2.8?

You would need to use the newer 3.4L with the series III aluminum heads with a cam upgrade, larger throttle body and such to get 230hp normally aspirated. You should be able to get to 290-300hp with boost. You'll need to piggy-back the ECM for this engine.
If you go with the cast headed engines to maintain the stock Fiero look, Don't expect much over 190hp normally aspirated and about 250-260hp with boost. You can use the stock computer with an upgraded PROM.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 03-12-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2004 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Thank you again OREIF You have been an excelent help.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock