Quad 4 Started Ran For 30 Seconds Then Died - Now Wont Even Start by Redneck
Started on: 03-04-2004 12:13 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: sanderson on 03-04-2004 07:38 PM
Redneck

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RedneckSend a Private Message to RedneckDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend has a 93 grand am with a Quad 4 (figured some fiero guy has to know Quad 4's heh) we cant figure out whats wrong, replaced the Ignition Module no luck, it just died on the highway a while back, we could get it started it would run for 20-30 seconds then die and now it wont even fire up, any idea's? You can hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition (doesnt mean it works though) I need to hook a diagnostic tool up to it but I dont have one, where can I get one and how much do they run?

Chris

[This message has been edited by Redneck (edited 03-04-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Posthumane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PosthumaneClick Here to visit Posthumane's HomePageSend a Private Message to PosthumaneDirect Link to This Post
First off, check if you are getting spark. Do this by pulling off the IDI cover, take out the spark plugs from the head, put them into the plug connectors on the IDI cover, touch the end of the spark plug to the head, have someone crank the motor and watch for sparks. If your not getting sparks there, check trouble codes on the ecm using the paperclip method (should be in the haynes manual, but lmk if you need info on that). If you have spark, check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. At the end of the fuel rail near the timing chain cover is a shrader valve. Let the pump run a few seconds, then open this valve for a sec (like a tire valve) and see if fuel comes out. If you have fuel pressure in the rail, have someone crank the engine with the spark plugs out and IDI cover off for a bit, and see if you get fuel going into the cyls (by smell). If you have spark, fuel, and no codes on the ecm, then it should start. If not, you have to dig deeper...
Redneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RedneckSend a Private Message to RedneckDirect Link to This Post
yeah we checked for spark, no luck, whats with the paperclip trick? I'll try everything else tommorow, thank you a ton for the reply.

Chris

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
So, you are getting spark, right? Paper clip trick (or any other wire) you ground out the A & B terminals on the ALDL connector. Its location is (as you are looking at it under the dash) should be the upper right corner on the vertical notch side. Make sense?

Things to check:
-ECM
-Crank Position Sensor
-Ignition Module (Autozone or Advance Auto should be able to test module)
-Wiring from module to ECM (make sure you have continuity from the module's huge plug to the ECM's end. Since you are getting spark, you have a good 12v & ground).

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'90GTZ

Redneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedneckSend a Private Message to RedneckDirect Link to This Post
yeah I'm not getting spark at all, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chris

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Redneck:

yeah I'm not getting spark at all, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chris

How did you test for spark? Check your wires. Make sure you are getting 12v's to the module. Make sure you have a good ground. Look on a schematic (sp?) for all the wires that connect to the module. Trace each wire and check to make sure you have continuity. Make sure the ignition module wires that go to the ECM have continuity (yeah, you'll need the volt-ohm meter for this one). If all that checks out, I would suspect the ECM, coils, hardware within the coil housing.

Perhaps the ECM isn't getting the signal that the engine is cranking/running, so it isn't telling the module to fire. Check to make sure all connectors are clean and free of corrosion.

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'90GTZ

koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like the crank sensor needs to be replaced.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
An easy one to check - the fuses

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock