High speed handling by Shianne
Started on: 03-02-2004 02:56 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Arns85GT on 03-03-2004 07:21 PM
Shianne

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneDirect Link to This Post
Is it normal for a fiero to feel light at higher speed, near 100mph. My 4 cyl that I had seemed OK. But the new V6 I have seems lighter almost to the point I don't feel safe. This is a frist for me as the cars I have had in the past never seemed to get to the float point.

Pat

86 2m6 SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
They recommend not putting any wings on the car..... you'll be airbourn...J/K
The front does float at highter speeds.......?

I'd bet a small air damm would help??

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< <<< <<< < Pix of my GT /-
-/ Pix of my Vettes> >>> >>> >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution,..please rate me, Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You need to make sure that your cars alignment is dead on. I also added a rear sway bar to mine and now it feels better at speed. Next would be to work on the stock brakes. They also say that a hood vent will help relieve the pressure bubble that forms under the front of the car at speed.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 03-02-2004).]

Godson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodsonSend a Private Message to GodsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

You need to make sure that your cars alignment is dead on. I also added a rear sway bar to mine and now it feels better at speed. Next would be to work on the stock brakes. They also say that a hood vent will help relieve the pressure bubble that forms under the front of the car at speed.

I wonder how well norms front end makes the car feel? Anyone know about this?

------------------
Don't judge me for how I talk, judge me for who I am.

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
After 80 I get scared of mine. It wants to float. 86 SE V-6.
Don
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello, this is just what I built my front end for, to keep the front down with less weight and better areodynamics. thanks guys Norm

------------------
Norm Vandermee

Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneDirect Link to This Post
Well I guess it's not just me than. I was figuring a rear wing. But was not sure if the GT's stayed down Better or not. Also I had figured mabe some type of air dam modification, althoght I am not a body mech. You would figure a car of this size and shap would hug the road and not try and float above it.

Thanks for your input Pat

86 se V6

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
At 113+ mph (highest achieved in my 86 4cyl.) it did not feel bad at all. I've done it 3 times. All in good dry flat Florida highways. Previous attempts had been scary after 90 mph. The difference was a proper 4 wheel alignment. (This, BTW, also almost totally eliminated some bad bump steer.)

Beno

P.S. The "+" is the small but uncertain amount over the speed indicated. The first time, 113 mph was verified by another car.

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
I am going to try some different shocks. I have Monroe Sensa Tracts and they are very soft and not as good as the orignal that I took off.
Don
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Soft shocks will cause 'floating' at high speed. The other factors are well known but to re-iterate, tires rated for high speed, springs that meet specs, venting the front, alignment,alignment,alignment

Arn

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
There are alot of factors that would cause the car to act like that. One of the most important is to have a good suspention system. Tires are the single most important part of a sports car so make sure they are good. And get the air pressure out from under the hood. You can drill holes under and next to the head light bukets to vent the air throu the fender and inner fender and out next to the door. Or do a hood vent.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I have a '85 SE - V6, but base coupe body.
the nose does feel light at higher (>80) speed. It doesnt seem to bad, even to the limit (3-spd auto @ 5400 rpm), but I know a hood vent would make a world of difference. I've lost a headlight cover from it popping up & ripping off the hinge. Theres alot of pressure under the hood. Some people have said hitting the hood realease (front, not back...) helps with this. But, I would suggest making sure you have: Good tires, reliable steering & suspension, and brakes that can safely brake from 100 down to 55 QUICKLY without shattering pads, warping rotors, locking up, or pulling the car into a spin. So, basicly the stock stuff is OK, but has to be in GOOD condition & aligned properly, a hood vent will be the most helpful thing for high speed driving, then brake & suspension upgrades.
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but you say you installed a rear sway bar. Where did you get one and was it easy to install? I'd be interrested in putting one on my 86 and 87 V6's

I also experience the "float" feeling at high speed and my alignment is fine

thanks
Dave

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
I put Yokohamas on my GT and it feels good all the way up
to 110.....I just quit there because I was pushing 5000 rpm
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ditch:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but you say you installed a rear sway bar. Where did you get one and was it easy to install? I'd be interrested in putting one on my 86 and 87 V6's

I also experience the "float" feeling at high speed and my alignment is fine

thanks
Dave

theres plenty of threads on this - most of them using a stock front sway bar on the back - I'm in process of doing it right now

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jdlog:

At 113+ mph (highest achieved in my 86 4cyl.) it did not feel bad at all. I've done it 3 times. All in good dry flat Florida highways. Previous attempts had been scary after 90 mph. The difference was a proper 4 wheel alignment. (This, BTW, also almost totally eliminated some bad bump steer.)

Beno

P.S. The "+" is the small but uncertain amount over the speed indicated. The first time, 113 mph was verified by another car.

alligator alley?

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slater_334:

alligator alley?

Close. Twice on the Sawgrass expressway (which runs north where I-75 turns west and becomes AAlley). Once on the turnpike going north to Orlando...close call with FHP...all of a sudden 70 mph seemed like a very sensible gas-saving speed .

Beno

Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneDirect Link to This Post
Just reading through all the new post on this thread.

Noticed a couple of intresting items.

-for a sports car the fiero is relativly slow. With the V6 and a 4spd. ( this is what I have) it is really only capable of about 120mph
anyhow. Also a car that is a rear drive almost perfectly balanced car should hanld more nuteral than they do.

- I have also noted that alot of people are installing the front swaybar on the rear of the car. Is this a better option than buying an actual rear unit. Ot just a little more cost effective. I thought you wanted the swaybar in front to be larger than the one in the rear of the car??

- Tires are a large issue from my past experince with the 4cly fiero I had I put rims from a 2000 neon and the 205/50 15" on it boy it handled good. But I never really had this one up to speed. So am not sure about high speed handling. But it did handle better than the v6 I have now.

- I still have the stock 14" rims and Eagle GT II tires on the car.

Thanks
Pat

86 SE V6

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
- yeah, a stock Fiero is slow....
- depends on what your going for. I think, generally speaking, getting a larger front sway bar, and putting your original front sway in the back is the sway to go - so yeah, like you said, larger in front
- yes - tires mean more than sway bars
- I still got the stock "turbo" wheels also...
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
at least were faster than all the retarded civics out there, well atleast my stock 86gt auto is.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I took my 88GT up to 100 last summer and it felt solid.
PFF
System Bot
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneDirect Link to This Post
Well we have to be faster than some one. My problem is that my other car is a 84 300z turbo. It will do 140 mph. It also handles a lot better at speed.

Anyhow I think I will put larger wheels, looking at mabe 17". Althogh the 15" neon spokes I had on my 84 looked great. And were quite cheep compared to new. Had also been thinking about 16" of a grand am??

Pat
86 se V6

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

theres plenty of threads on this - most of them using a stock front sway bar on the back - I'm in process of doing it right now

thanks
should have used the search function, but I didn't think it was that common

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
I realize the following is a bit unusual but my 87 GT handling was a bit shaky so I did the following:
Replaced the front steering damper with two new units from Monroe and used Rodneys doubling kit to do it. This takes 20 minutes to do.
Then I bolted a 30lb. steel weight from a weight lifting set in the hollow section of the front donut spare. Placed here it takes up NO ROOM, you don't see it. The handling is stiff in parking lots, but at speeds up to 110 (I got scared to go higher) it is rock solid.
Well, It worked! Ed

------------------

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Let's not be too hard on our go power.

Mid 15's is pretty respectable and that is alot of Fieros.

Look at the comparable cars from the 80's for cost in the 2 seaters.

The Triumphs, 4 cylinder Porches, even Jag six's are not going to show you up on a track. Top end? maybe.

GM made sure we weren't driving something to challenge a Vette, but I wouldn't say we are slow either.

I've driven slow. It surely ain't mid 15's.

Arn

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

- yeah, a stock Fiero is slow....
- depends on what your going for. I think, generally speaking, getting a larger front sway bar, and putting your original front sway in the back is the sway to go - so yeah, like you said, larger in front
- yes - tires mean more than sway bars
- I still got the stock "turbo" wheels also...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock