yippie... Troble codes. by ManiMack
Started on: 03-01-2004 02:25 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: ManiMack on 03-16-2004 05:06 PM
ManiMack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Alright car is running a little strange recently and my check cash light poped up yesterday. Tomorrow im replacing my ignition system (hopefully the problum), but id like to track these down first.

Im getting codes 33 and 34 which both say the MAP sensor is bad. I am very sure I dont have any vaccume leaks and I just replaced my egr a few months ago.
Also im getting a code 21 which says TPS is bad!

What should I do?

Edit, just noticed I really fudged up the spelling on this. Ill leave it uncorrected so you can all laught at me .

[This message has been edited by ManiMack (edited 03-01-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
I jsut replace the wires and distributor cap, smoothed things out allot but unfortunatly didnt fix my hunting idel.

I was talking to the guy at canadian tire. He told me if im having a hunting idel and bucking when coming to a stop it is defenatly the map sensor. Plus my codes 33 and 34 say the map is dead.

This sound right? I really don't want to spend 100$ on a new one if it doesnt fix my problum. Plus im geting a code for bad TPS as well.

[This message has been edited by ManiMack (edited 03-01-2004).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it does SOUND like your MAP sensor is bad, but one thing I learned in GM training 20 some years ago, is to always repair the lowest code first and the map and tps do work in conjunction. Clear the memory and see which code comes back first. I'd bet on the tps and I'd try another tps first....used if you can.....before I bought a map sensor that I didn't need. Good luck.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. Now on workers comp. and it looks like I will be unable to return to work as a tech.

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 03-01-2004).]

Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkDirect Link to This Post
Mack,

You may want to do some testing before you plunk down cash for new sensors. The TPS is especially easy to check. The schematic and procedures can be found here....

http://www.syty.org/old/d&e.html

Just follow the link for the trouble codes. Make sure you bookmark this link. This is good stuff.

Mark

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yep, and the problem with the MAP sensor can just as easily be the vacuum line connection to the MAP sensor, not the sensor itself.

JazzMan

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Yes, it does SOUND like your MAP sensor is bad, but one thing I learned in GM training 20 some years ago, is to always repair the lowest code first and the map and tps do work in conjunction. Clear the memory and see which code comes back first. I'd bet on the tps and I'd try another tps first....used if you can.....before I bought a map sensor that I didn't need. Good luck.

Phil

all my training points me in the direction of replacing the cheapest parts first. (training ='s my experiance fixin stuff)

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark:

Mack,

You may want to do some testing before you plunk down cash for new sensors. The TPS is especially easy to check. The schematic and procedures can be found here....

http://www.syty.org/old/d&e.html

Just follow the link for the trouble codes. Make sure you bookmark this link. This is good stuff.

Mark

Mark, is that link for the 2.8? I think the 2.5 and 2.8 have different codes, don't they?

ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Some good advice here... thanks guys
Im going to diag. the tps tomorrow, and do some more troubleshooting . I know electronics really well, and love to do this stuff.
Its hard to find the time recently though. But I have some free time coming up soon that im going to use on my baby ( 86se )

If all goes well I wont be posing in technical tomorrow..

Oh on another note... Damn was my distrbutor cap/rotor bad. That thing looked original... I droped in a bosch to replace the pos. It really only took me about 2 mins to change that. Why didnt I do that least year ?

ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2004 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Just an update. I finally got my new TPS installed. This was the problum all along.

Car is running like new again!

Thanks for the help you ppl are the ebst!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock